WOULD YOU KEEP A WORLD RECORD FISH.......?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

it sher is a hard choice.........there is a lot off species even if you do get a monster or record it wont get you rich.......

but other species might get a little busy.........like if you do get the world bigest bass,,,,,,plus in a tornement ,,over that,,,you might become very popular in the u,s,a.if you get the world record carp in europe....you will be a king............

here you get the biggest musky.you might get free lures...free stuff.or good deal,,,etc...mabe some cash for advertisement but i have douth you become rich or wathever...

its a hard choice to do........

we just have to do what is the best in are own eyes....

joco
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

well endorsements or not i would still keep my trophy fish!

everyone has there choice :D

mine is to keep and hang on my wall :D

everyone could go on and on and no choice is bad or good,

zort
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

and besides it wouldnt kill the fishing if people kept a world record fish,how many will be kept???maybe 3 a year?? :shock:

not many record fish is ever cought :D

zort
lars56ca
Participant
Participant

Post by lars56ca »

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject of world record fish, but it seems to me that by the time you man handled it and hauled it around trying to find a scale that would be recognized by whoever determines world records, I'm thinking the poor fish would probably be past the point of no return anyway? That being said, I'd release it.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

It's always nice to fantasize about catching a record fish of any species. I had a dream the other night that i rode on the back of a GIANT Great White shark off the coast of Australia.....nuff said! :lol: :lol: I would hafta say that most of the angling fraternity would not be prepared for a record fish....if.....and ...when it happen's. Did you have all the proper equipment, such as camera, scale, witnesses, etc and to know the difference when your ego has gotten in the way.

I would take the trophy specimen to the post office :lol: make a call to the media...have a press release, then make demands for over a million bucks....and finally book a red eye flight to brazil for some relaxing Peacock Bass fishing while the scrutiny of others decides my fate.

It's up to you!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

No chance

Negative...

I never keep fish anyway except for winter ill keep some pan fish. Id rather enjoy the experience then terminate the pleasure. It would be an honor to catch one and an honor to release one. Pics hell ya id take some quick snaps for sure.
Im a conservation freak so, I wouldnt even hesitate. Probably get a replica done, they last longer anyway if im not mistaken.

Spence
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

zort10 wrote:well endorsements or not i would still keep my trophy fish!

everyone has there choice :D

mine is to keep and hang on my wall :D

everyone could go on and on and no choice is bad or good,

zort
Me too Zort... on the wall it would go :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

BBRich wrote:Deja Vu! I swear I've seen this exact question brought up somewhere else! :lol:

I wouldnt keep one. I'd be happier with a framed picture in my den and the thought that maybe someone else would catch her.. when she was even bigger!
Come on Rich... you are known as the fish crisp kid....buy the way .... when did you get a den????
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

My whole apartment is a den. :lol:

And it's RICH CRISP! Fish Crisp is gross! :lol:
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Spence - nice stuff. Always good to hear.

If Fish Crisp is gross, then what is Rich Crisp? Appetizing? :wink: Unless you seriously have your own recipe which is awesome and let me know what it is or send me some.

My comments on this - I think I would heavily leans towards releasing, and I'm trying to conserve more or more everyday / every year.

World record is one thing, and almost too abstract of an idea to wrap my head around (I'm not about to catch a 25 lb walleye or whatever it is). However, some of the lakes up North that I've been fishing since I was a kid - I know they have some 12 / 13 lbers (as far as I know this size of fish is more rare up there). Anyway, a 10 lber from up there is my fish of a lifetime, at least at this point. So when the day comes that I get it, I don't think I'll have a hard time putting it back in. I know how much it will mean to me, and that I'll remember it forever. It would be hard to sleep at night knowing that I might have taken that opportunity away from someone else.
SCUBA_STEVE
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SCUBA_STEVE »

hey steve-o!

well i never keep my fish at all so if i did keep a trophy fish for my wall...i wouldnt even lose a wink of sleep :D shoot i may even sleep with that bute :shock: :D

hey big-o!!!

glad someone else agrees with me,seems people scared to say anything on here any more that may couse an agrument :D

zort
Laker_Taker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Laker_Taker »

Makes me think of a time ...

I was a younger man of about 25. I had gone down the the stream that beauty day in May in hopes of meeting up with Mr. Walleye. Took a few casts with my plastic bait through the steady current when out of ambush came a heavy fish. It pulled and it fought, using the current to its ultimate advantage. I remember I had a very old reel that had no drag other than allowing the fish to pull out line with the crank turning in reverse. I finally saw the fish and as I had thought it was no walter. Should have known the way it battled. It was the biggest bass I had ever seen, other than on fishing shows with those guys with the funny accents. By now I was giggling seeing this slob. I got it close and lipped that hefty pig. I'm sure it was 8 lbs if it was an ounce. I remember thinking I could stuff a tennis ball in that bass hawg's mouth, had I wanted. It was by far my best bass ever. Then the reality set in: I'm alone, no scales or even tape measure, no camera and worse of all this fish was out of season. Now even if it had been in season I'm sure I would have taken the same pride in seeing it swim away as I did that day shortly after admiring this glorious freak of nature. All I'm saying is we fish for our own memories don't we? Hanging a one in 10 million fish on a wall does not do justice to our memory but instead is there to impress our visitors. A good photo speaks volumes!! OK, I'll get off my high horse. If I ever catch a big trout or char I might have a tougher decision. :wink:
Jebby
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jebby »

i done even wanna imagine how bad i would feel killing a record... if it was poorly hooked or i "dropped it" oops possibly into my cooler it would have to be kept but id try to relese it
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I eat only one or 2 pike or walleye a year so I think I would put it back after a few pics
Norm
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

I think I would get a replica made, and release it.