Heating an ice shelter

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

getnjiggywithit wrote:Do you remember the little heater I was useing in my fish trap last year? Its a little coleman and, it was enough to fish comfortably even in -30 ! The Buddy is more powerful but, it's also bigger and heavier. Just don't get carried away with too much gear unless you have an ATV or snowmoble to haul it! The first time I loaded up my trap and went out, it must have weighed 150lbs :shock: I was sweating pretty good by the time I arrived at the spot and started fishing :lol:
I hear ya Jiggy , I def. don't want to be dead by the time we get to the lake LOL.

I'll have to do a couple back yard test runs to get the weight managable.
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Coleman

Post by D-mo »

I too have a 3000 btu coleman, catalitic heater, and use it only for my portable use, which is a Fabril Venture (thanks for the deal there Ransome) ...
During the day, the coleman will heat the portable pretty darn well at minus 15 or so with the winds howling .. but as the sun goes down, it gets a little chilly.

d-mo
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Nice things about the Mr. Heater Buddy:

- low centre of gravity so it's difficult to accidentally knock it over
- has an automatic shutoff if the oxygen gets too low in the shelter/shack
- doesn't smell like wood does

We used two in our trailer last year. This year I think we'll attach them to a 20lb tank.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I was going to recommend a few hotties...but I see people are actually giving good advice and not the usual sillyness that slips past my better judgement and fingers...besides Matt's married, not even allowed to look any longer, let alone use one as a portable heater. :wink:
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Walked into a salvation army store last week and got the small coleman heater for $4. The thing was almost brand new and even had a half tank of propane.
Like wallyboss said, it will probably be more than enough for a single hut and it will probably cook me out of my one man Frabill
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Kpin wrote:I was going to recommend a few hotties...but I see people are actually giving good advice and not the usual sillyness that slips past my better judgement and fingers...besides Matt's married, not even allowed to look any longer, let alone use one as a portable heater. :wink:
Dont kid yourself Kpin.....just because the mall is closed doesn't mean you cant window shop ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

muskymatt wrote:
getnjiggywithit wrote:Do you remember the little heater I was useing in my fish trap last year? Its a little coleman and, it was enough to fish comfortably even in -30 ! The Buddy is more powerful but, it's also bigger and heavier. Just don't get carried away with too much gear unless you have an ATV or snowmoble to haul it! The first time I loaded up my trap and went out, it must have weighed 150lbs :shock: I was sweating pretty good by the time I arrived at the spot and started fishing :lol:
I hear ya Jiggy , I def. don't want to be dead by the time we get to the lake LOL.

I'll have to do a couple back yard test runs to get the weight managable.

I still remember dying while climbing up on that road last winter :) And then miracle happened jiggy came to save as :)

:lol: :lol:
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Lunker Larry wrote:Walked into a salvation army store last week and got the small coleman heater for $4. The thing was almost brand new and even had a half tank of propane.
Like wallyboss said, it will probably be more than enough for a single hut and it will probably cook me out of my one man Frabill
Larry
The little coleman heated up my fishtrap guide (small 2 person) just fine but, anything bigger and I'd consider a bigger heater :wink:
Paya
No hiking this year I bought an ATV :D :D :D
crash
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by crash »

The one nice bit of the Mr Heater is that it doesn't has the hiss of the catalitic heater.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks Crash that small bit of info made my mind up. I wouldn't want to buy a noisy heater, it would drive me nuts.

Now all I have to do is buy myself a shelter.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Anything that has caught your eye Dan?...Frabill..Clam?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I'm not sure what I want yet. I would like to see one of those Pakshack and see how they feel. It would be nice to have a bigger one but I'm not sure that I would want to carry a bigger one around all the time.

I fished in Iceman's shelter last year and it was just great. Loved the size of it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi wallyboss

manotic bait tackle.as the pack shak in stock,,,,,,,,at least he had one 2 weeks ago.... :!:

and sher those look great,chair and eveything.......nice little outfit.

great outfit for the price.....and can put it in a car....

joco
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shack heater...

Post by Duck Gunner »

Howdy All from DG!!!

Well for me it's the old table toppropane BBQ.
Dual purpose as it heats the shack and cooks the steaks!!!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Shack heater...

Post by Tip-up »

Duck Gunner wrote:Howdy All from DG!!!

Well for me it's the old table toppropane BBQ.
Dual purpose as it heats the shack and cooks the steaks!!!
Where the heck have ya been man! Great to hear from you :) :)