Thin ice in Ottawa.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Thin ice in Ottawa.

Post by Iceman »

Watch yerself out there.

Two suffer hypothermia following dog into river !

A 43-year-old woman and a 42-year-old man were treated for hypothermia yesterday afternoon after they fell into the Ottawa River while trying to rescue a dog.

The pair were looking for their lost Rottweiler, Milton, at the end of Champlain Street in the Orleans area at about 1:30 p.m when they were informed the dog had been seen near the river.

Emily Nelson was walking her own dog in the area at the time.

She showed the couple where their dog had wandered out to an iced portion of the river.

"He was shivering. I could tell the poor guy was really scared," Ms. Nelson, 22, said of the dog.

She at first followed the couple when they went out on the ice.

"Then I heard the ice going. ... I turned back, I didn't want to go out that far."

When Ms. Nelson turned around, the man and woman had sunk into the icy chest-deep water. Ms. Nelson called 911. Although paramedics and police arrived on the scene, the couple and the dog had already made it to shore.

The pair were treated for hypothermia and the man also suffered a leg injury.

As of yesterday afternoon, the couple were in serious but stable condition in hospital.

Ms. Nelson said bylaw services took the dog to a vet.

Peter Borodchak, a 47-year-old man, drowned in the Ottawa River last March as he tried to save his dog.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2006
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Duck Gunner »

Just a question...

Why would both of them go out onto the ice???
Walking in close proximity would only magnify the likelihood of the ice collapsing. Why wouldn't one stay on shore and be ready to call for professional assistance?
Again I say, "Common Sense".
Sounds harsh but...
And don't get me wrong, I'd be going out after my dog if I was in that position. But I would not be taking anyone else with me.
Lucky for them it was only chest deep water.

DG. 8)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

OK PEOPLE.......

there is one off us that did went true ice,this morning,,,,,knee deep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ouffff could have been worst..... :shock: :?

dont go on ice yet........its not safe.

even if it did hold some persons..............those not meen its safe..for all off us....... :shock: :?

hope they will be '''NO''' report off fishing..........we dont need report now............(could be done by pm)

no report off fishing and no report off people going true,,,,,,,,,,

be safe............clean the lures ,,,do a tune up on the jiffy,,,go shoping for ice stuff etc etc ect........

but right now..the ice is not safe anaught to be sher off it,dont take chance guys....

its would be great to have ice condition report............but no fishing report for now guys.just to help the cause off safety.......

joco
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

They should have had their dog on a leash anyways.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Sad case as it is :cry: I remember a few people were killed on the Ottawa last year falling through the ice :cry: ...and a few fellow hawkers braved it because he had to the first ones on...and they were hungry(All apart of the addiction) :lol: :roll: ...Be carefull guys. The last thing we need to see is a thread with everyone expressing condolences :(

Be safe...wait another week.... :wink:

Glad to hear the couple and there dog made it to shore safe Iceman :D

Wallyboss, nice to hear you guys got into a few :wink: