Ice Fishing Hut Technical Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

What we do to stop snow and wind is pile snow around the outside of the shack...works great.
Duck Gunner
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Duck Gunner »

From year's gone by now, we have always used sacrificial blocks of wood to get the skis up off the ice. This year, we put some plastic skis on the bottoms of the runners. Should make it easier to move on the snow and ice. Plus they're black in colour and should help with the thaw if they get covered in the slush layer.
Will let everyone know how they work out...
Another oldtrick was to use the square plastic milk crates. Two on each end next to the runners kept the shack a good 6-8 off the ice. Some scrap paneling and snow kept the undersider free from snow and wind.
I prefer the sanow blockage so you can see down the holes. A little oyster shell and you got yourself a landing pad down there.

DG. 8)
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi guys

Again thanks for the advice. My hut is really heavy and needs a truck to pull it on the ice. By the way is weather is shaping up it will be feburary before my hut gets on ice. I have been passing the time by reading Alberta ice fishing reports. Lesser Slave Lake already has 15 inches of ice.

Cheers
steve
Oziles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Oziles »

Hi Steve,

From experience I would strongly suggest stacked wood blocks. Here's why:
- if the lower block gets fozen in, when time come to move most can still be removed
- cinder blocks will break when you try to hammer them out.
- too often large wood blocks are left behind when huts are moved because they are half frozen in ice (particularly in recent years when we get our January rain days) they get covered in snow and create a hazard for sleds, other huts being pulled, plows, etc.
- if you go to any of the larger lumber places they often have in their culled lumber bin 4X4 or 2X4 (screw two or three pieces together) for a couple of dollars.

Cheers
Oziles'
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Anything left in the ice also creates hazards for boaters in the spring.