What would it take

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

What would it take to start fishing another species

Nothing, I like what I fish and nothing else
7%
If I saw it on TV I'd be interested
2%
Only if someone I knew started with me
7%
I'm already a multi species angler
84%

Total votes: 45

muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

What would it take

Post by muskymatt »

What would it take for you to start targeting another species.

I think most anglers are limited to one or two species, but I think almost all of us have thought about fishing another species.

For me I always wanted to try Lake Trout and then I saw Pete Bowman fishing Lakers up north and he had a 50lber :shock: :shock: ....that was it ...I needed to fish lakers :lol: :lol: It was as easy as that 8) 8)

I rigged myself up and have been doing it ever since.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D the need to catch a fish..any fish when what your after isn't biting. When I was young I would sit on the banks of the Grand River and catch shiners,chubs,rock bass,smallmouth bass,bullhead catfish and carp. I would watch the big guys catching pike that seemed huge to me. As I got bigger I learned how to catch the pike by watching them and also the bigger smallmouth in the river. Once I was old enough to drive I started exploring by driving down country roads and fishing any water I could find. The creeks had speckled trout and brown trout. I made it all the way up to the Saugeen river and caught channel cats. The two hour drive seemed like forever. Now I dont blink at a 4 or 5 hour drive. My late teens found me on the shores of Bronte Creek in the fall..finding out my tackle was no match for the fish. I read and learned and upgraded. Now I fish for whatever bites and travel any where to fish them. And Jonathan travels with me.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

SALMON wrote::D the need to catch a fish..any fish when what your after isn't biting. When I was young I would sit on the banks of the Grand River and catch shiners,chubs,rock bass,smallmouth bass,bullhead catfish and carp. I would watch the big guys catching pike that seemed huge to me. As I got bigger I learned how to catch the pike by watching them and also the bigger smallmouth in the river. Once I was old enough to drive I started exploring by driving down country roads and fishing any water I could find. The creeks had speckled trout and brown trout. I made it all the way up to the Saugeen river and caught channel cats. The two hour drive seemed like forever. Now I dont blink at a 4 or 5 hour drive. My late teens found me on the shores of Bronte Creek in the fall..finding out my tackle was no match for the fish. I read and learned and upgraded. Now I fish for whatever bites and travel any where to fish them. And Jonathan travels with me.
Sounds like a lifetime of fun and with Jonathan it looks like it has just begun!!!

Many years ahead :wink:

Thanks for shareing that , made me think of my early angling days. :D :D

Matt
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

For myself I tend to target a different species once someone shows me the ways.

Last summer I found myslef targetting carp for the 1st time, again this was once someone showed me "how to"

Same thing a few years back with cats, I never would have thought cats were fun until I was shown.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Being able to find the time. That's all it will take for me. One more year and then retirement.........even a guppie wont be safe then!!!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Well I have already fished for many mutiple species and so far have caught the following.... Lake Trout, Rainbow, Splake,Speckles, Browns, Pike,Walleye, BAss, Perch,Crappie, Blue Gill, Stiped Bass, Salmon, Ling, Mud pout, Catfish, Carp ( he was about 1lbs though), and I have fished for Musky but none as of yet. I am sure there are others I have fished and caught but can not remember. I do not target one species as I find this repetitive and not as fun and adventurous. It did not take anyone showing me how to or anything just wanted to catch every species in Ontario. I should maybe get someone to show me how to catch Musky cause it has really upset me so far. The stiped bass was from the states so it is really not on my list of fish to catch.
eddyk
Participant
Participant

Post by eddyk »

I fish for pretty well anything. I fish the BOQ every May 24 weekend and in November for Pickeral. I spend a week in June in Temagami fishing for pike and pickeral and another week in September on Nippissing for Muskies. In the summer I enter the Lake O salmon derby. Other than that I fish every where for anything.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I think the better question would be what would it take to only fish for one species?

It seems like there are a lot of monoline anglers.....specializing in one species, but once the species is done/closed for the year, the rods get hung up.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Any fish is fun and challenging to catch if you do it right. It's just the fishing part I like no matter what is tugging on my line, even if I'm fishing for skunks. :lol:
fishboch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishboch »

I think sometimes all it takes is the thrill of catching that first new fish and you can be hooked. Sometimes it's by a fluke or if you're lucky you are introduced to it by another fishing buddy. After that what does it take ? Usually allot of time and money. :shock: I know because I got hooked big time by the Musky bug this past year ! I have caught a few musky over the last 40 years that I've been fishing but I haven't targetted them specifically until the unprecedented success I had with them last summer. I estimate that I managed to boat 7 last year with three of them being in the plus 40 inch range. So at that point I decided I am going to get serious. My best Xmas gifts were the ones I got myself. :wink: I got myself another musky combo of a Shimano Cardiff 400 wit a Shimano Compre Medium Heavy rod. I also purchased a small fortune in new musky spinnerbaits, stickbaits and softbaits. Also had to get a new box to store all these monster baits. Now I'm going to need a bigger boat to haul my regular tackle box for all my other mutli-species baits plus the new monster musky box and the new arsenal of rods. :D The last thing on my list is a musky cradle which I will be getting soon. So making a long story short, again it's the thrill and the urge to try something new that motivates many of us to try a new species. The need to buy new toys is an added bonus. 8)
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

fishboch wrote:I think sometimes all it takes is the thrill of catching that first new fish and you can be hooked. Sometimes it's by a fluke or if you're lucky you are introduced to it by another fishing buddy. After that what does it take ? Usually allot of time and money. :shock: I know because I got hooked big time by the Musky bug this past year ! I have caught a few musky over the last 40 years that I've been fishing but I haven't targetted them specifically until the unprecedented success I had with them last summer. I estimate that I managed to boat 7 last year with three of them being in the plus 40 inch range. So at that point I decided I am going to get serious. My best Xmas gifts were the ones I got myself. :wink: I got myself another musky combo of a Shimano Cardiff 400 wit a Shimano Compre Medium Heavy rod. I also purchased a small fortune in new musky spinnerbaits, stickbaits and softbaits. Also had to get a new box to store all these monster baits. Now I'm going to need a bigger boat to haul my regular tackle box for all my other mutli-species baits plus the new monster musky box and the new arsenal of rods. :D The last thing on my list is a musky cradle which I will be getting soon. So making a long story short, again it's the thrill and the urge to try something new that motivates many of us to try a new species. The need to buy new toys is an added bonus. 8)
Geese...new rods tackle and a box , now a boat .... :lol: :lol: ...you are hooked on 'skies for sure now :lol: :lol:

Check out the frabill big kahuna before you get a cradle though...

Matt
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

fishboch - go with what muskymatt said about getting a dip net. I switched to one this summer from a cradle and will never go back.
Hardest part is trying to find a place for it in the boat.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI LAKERSMATT..... :lol:

i was hookt on musky for 3 years(mainly musky)...and then i found that i love to target CATS,,love the tranquility etc......then last spring i found out after i went for the first time to target carp,,,,,,and caught some that there are a big fight,so i was hook on carp fishing.

sometime,it is like a first trip to target somthing.and then your hookt.

this year.it will be....mainly....cats/carp/trout/sturgeons/bass/pike/musky/crappy/perch/walleye.. :roll: :lol: ..and mainly in smaller water..small lake.for the tranquility and smaller boat...

lakers are just fun,,,,,,,,,i can t wait to target lakers this pring at the cottage on surface.,its fun. :P .

great tread muskymatt..... :wink:

joco
Last edited by joco on Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

All muskies in the world suddenly disappearing :cry: :cry: :cry: Used to fish for just about everything, still have a fondness for spring walleye's and the occasional steelhead excursion, but once muskies are open I am all or nothing.

Fell in love with these elusive fish when I was just a young lad. Watching them patroll a local rock reef and totally ignore my offerings. I began to reaserch the fish and techniques to catch them. I find the challenge or the"hunt" just as big of a thrill as the catch, and it's extremly gratifying when all the time, dedication, and perserverance culminate in an explosive boat side hit from a big fish. I don't think I could ever "hang em up" so to speak
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

For me it always comes from either seeing someone else catch something I've never caught before, or reading about. '06 was the first year that I figured out how to hook (and land) gar consistantly, so now I anxiously await spring to fish for them again.
Hopefully in '07 I can figure out how to catch ling. I know next to nothing about them other than they exist in the ottawa river and are delicious.