Palmerson Lake Weekend!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Told ya, Hitman... 8)

W.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Life is GOOD! 8) Now bring on the soft water! :D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hitman,

Lots o' melting going on here....about 54F last I looked....!!

heee-heee-heee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :!: :D

1st red-winged blackbirds, grackles and turkey vultures showed up this week, along with a bluebird or two. Geese going over in droves. Even saw the 1st woodchuck out and about -- albeit very sleepy. Last night, under the overhang lights, I noticed something flitting around: MOTHS (or "millers" as my Dad called them).

Life IS good....even if it goes back to winter for a little, it won't last!

W.
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

Yes Spring has Sprung!!!! Yaaaaaa :D :D :D . I still have snow in my backyard but when I looked down from my raised deck I could see those crazy "millers" flitering just above the snow. It was actually 50F here in Ottawa yesterday and sounds like more of the same until the weekend, where we may get a bit of snow. Like you said though it won't last long. Now I have to get rid of that smelly skunk that is living under my shed. :cry: Any suggestions on how I can get rid of him? I certainly can't shoot him, I live in a city. Trapping him I will probably get sprayed trying to get him /her out unless I throw a blanket over the cage. Better do something soon or I may have a whole family taking up a new residence. :shock:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Hitman,

The guys and yourself really made a mess of those lakers :wink: Thanks for taking the time to post a report and great pictures!

-Andrew
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Good job lads, nice report and good pics. Nice fish.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

Hey George, glad to hear you got into some fish, and nice one's at that :D . I've never been to that lake but it sure does look nice....one year...

As for the skunks, I know what you mean, a neighbour a few doors down had a family under their deck and thought it was too expensive to have them trapped out so they left them there all summer!!!! Needless to say we had to be careful walking around in the early mornings or evenings in case we ran into one :x
Trap it, put a blanket over the cage and teach it how to swim in a rough tote full of water, that'll do the trick :wink:

Brian
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

I hate to say it Bender but if you don't go this year you will only be able to catch them during soft water season. It sounds like the new regs are going to close quite a few lakes in that zone during the winter. :cry:
Thanks for the advise on the Skunk, I may just try that ;just have to make sure the wife doesn't know, she's one of those kindered spirits that likes everything to live. :? I have no problem with that as long as they aren't living under my nose. :wink:
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

I got a new gas auger for christmas this year and only used it twice, I'm not much of an ice fisherman so soft water suits me just fine :D.

I think our wifes must be related, mine doesn't like me trapping mice :shock:
HitmanHill
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HitmanHill »

I hear Skunks are great mouse catchers. :lol: I just happen to have one that I really am trying to get rid of.
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

I heard mothballs are good to get rid of skunks and if nothing else your shed will smell pretty, as for spring, Wolfe, any sign of that dreaded little head banger at your place this year?? he!he!he!he!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

But you have to make sure that the shunk(or skunks) are away before you put the moth balls.

I had to dig all around my shed and put some chicken wire to stop them from getting in.

You can try catching it though. if you see it just run after it and grab the tail but you got to be quick.

Actually try to find a place that would rent a live trap, all you need as bait is bones from chicken wings. When the skunk is trapped it cannot lift it's tail and will not spray. Then you can relocate it just be carefull when you reopen the trap to let it go. I tied a string to the trap door and did it from 50 feet away.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

how did this get from fishing for lakers on Palmerston Lake to this????? I dont remember seeing any skunk in the pics... :lol: I dont think it was a skunk...http://vid2.crap.com/girls_fart_too_031207.wmv :lol:...just a thought on this..my buddy sent me this and I do not know if the page it is on shows " things"...if so let me know and I will delete right away.
Last edited by almontefisher on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

You're warped :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Coyote wrote:I heard mothballs are good to get rid of skunks and if nothing else your shed will smell pretty, as for spring, Wolfe, any sign of that dreaded little head banger at your place this year?? he!he!he!he!
Coyote, I can hear the little peckers 8) all over the woods, so it's just a matter of time now before one decides to use my house to drum up some action for himself -- I always wondered if it was the same one from year to year, as it's always in the same spot (right over Shane's bedroom window, remember...?...at 5:30 or so a.m.!) It's not so much the woodpecker waking me up / losing sleep that is annoying -- it's the thought that SHANE will be awake from 5:30 to 9:00. Now THAT'S exhausting!!!! :lol:

I like the live trap suggestion that Wallyboss had a lot more than Bender's with regard to the skunks. I'm with Hitman Hill's wife on that one. I would hope you could find something a little more civilized to do. :roll:

W.