Decking my 16ft aluminum boat, any hints, tips, links?...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishnsledder
Participant
Participant

Decking my 16ft aluminum boat, any hints, tips, links?...

Post by Fishnsledder »

I'm going to start decking my 16ft Springbok Yukon and I'm just looking for some advice on what to use for braces, floor material, etc. I was thinking aluminum L channel for braces and the regular 3/4 inch marine plywood for a floor. I'm getting a bow mount, fixed fish finder, and I want to build a livewell right into the floor.

Anyone who has done this type of project and is willing to share some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Some pics would be good too.

Thanks
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by reel2reel »

i built a casting deck into the front of my 15ft tinny yesterday. worked out effin sweet. almost like i knew what i was doing.carpeted and all!! ill snap pics tomorrow when its not rainy outside. im thinking of putting a floor in too.... ideas?
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Here are a couple links I've found in the past for setup/conversion of jonboats.

http://www.secretweaponlures.com/odf/odfsite.html

http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/bull2958/my ... ge0025.htm
Hard H2O
Participant
Participant

Post by Hard H2O »

Hey guys, I'm starting to deck out my little aluminum too, I was wondering how you trace out the ply wood to fit perfect with all the curvature of the boat. With the price of the stuff i wanna get it right first crack! :D
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

RJ did the same thing, do a search on him, he posted his process...
Hard H2O
Participant
Participant

Post by Hard H2O »

How do you search that?
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

With the search function

try this link

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... sc&start=0
Hard H2O
Participant
Participant

Post by Hard H2O »

Thanks man
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

Hey HARD H2O,cardboard mybe the way to go when trying to get the pattern of your boat, if ya can't get a piece big enough just duck tape a few pieces together.
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by reel2reel »

heres some pics of the little casting deck/storage compartment i built the other day for my ol'tin lizzy :)
i used 5/8 P.T. ply , and some indoor/outdoor carpet. i have a few more ideas. ill post pics , after built.

*itching for the soft*

oh yeah... a bunch of the pics in that other topic seem to be outta date... anyone have them archived anywhere?
fishin loon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

casting decks and storage

Post by fishin loon »

Hey fellas and lady's

I don't pretend to be an expert but I am doing a few boats. Custom storage live-wells. The one thing I would like to add to this conversation is the added weight, so use aluminum as much as possible and any spare space that is not used fill with foam. I have been using pool noodles but sometimes you get that squeak so if anyone has other idea I just don't want to see someone put in all that work to see it go to bottom in a freak accident.

Fishin loon
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Here is a removable casting deck Anthony and I built last Summer. Plans are to add a livewell under the deck..You will be able to access it via a hatch. Marine ply for the deck is a must.

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... sting+deck

-Andrew
reel2reel
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by reel2reel »

i just posted some updated pics of my tinny in a new topic :) . carpeted and another storage spot built .
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

tip-up wrote: Marine ply for the deck is a must.

-Andrew
Not necessarily true....though I do store my boat inside which will definitely help....I used standard 3/8ths plywood....after three plus seasons now....not even an issue....

I figured at 3 or 4 times the price for marine grade, I'll replace the floor every 4 or 5 years if I have to and it'd still be cheaper....though I don't that happening anytime soon...

RJ
Fishnsledder
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishnsledder »

I kinda planned on going with 3/4 Marine ply, I don't have a spot inside where I can store my boat :( What about just regular 3/4 ply and coating it with marine resin or Thompsons water seal or something?...

I'm getting started on Wednesday!