Lake Huron Report!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lake Huron Report!

Post by Crunchy »

(warning, kill shots enclosed - if you don't like it, don't read this)

Took some vacation, and headed to the big waters of Lake Huron, was gonna try land some lunkers, as this particular area has not been hit for bass since the cormorants came in, but they have since been mostly culled. Turned out ministry sampling showed the bass were there, but very deep (30-40 feet down), so I threw the usually deep water food, tubes, and jigs. Nothing, not until I picked up a senko. Hard part was predicting where the fish were gonna be by the time the senko sank down 30 or so feet. You can see the schools of bass, anywhere from 5-10 in a school, circling large rocks. They would go from rock to weed bed and back and forth.

Took just over 2 hours to get 5 fish totalling 27.5 lbs!!! I broke my personal best twice!....

Old record was 5lb 11oz

I got a 5lb 12oz...

and topped it with a 5lb 14oz!!!!!!!

Man its hard to beat the 6lb mark!!!!

We left with our limit each of 3 days, with plenty more bass left. The bass were everywhere. Some guy was following us, unable to catch squat with his worm and hook. We took great care in hiding the secret color, as it was only one color that worked.

The real goal was to hit the lakers, and did we hit them! We averaged 2 lakers and hour, most being in the 5-8lb range, but they were deep. We had to make the 1 hour trip to the only local fishing store, of which, when you walk in all they sell is downrigger equipment, so you can tell what most people fish for.....not one pack or berckly powerpait, and a senko, don't even ask them for one, they think its a new brand of beer.

Anyways, after buying a couple hundred feet of new downrigger cable, we dropped our balls down to 120feet, and the action we non-stop. They will be nice on the smoker.....also caught some small bows around the nets, but they are nothing to write home about. Although it was amusing to see a bunch of boats trying to get the achors out of the nets when the 6 foot waves came in. Guess they learnt a lesson no to anchor that close to nets.

Last day we had fun riding back in 6-8 foot waves, riggins for trout all the way back to camp. In the end, when we tried to release the linesand tack the riggers up, we realized we were dragging a 9lb laker what must have been 10 miles. He had tangled in the rigger cables, in the other line, cheaters were a mess. We ended up pulling the line in by hand and chopping it to pieces. What a day!

Here are some of the laker pics, too many to post, but these are the nicest pictures.....

Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

Awesome report Crunchy :!:

Dragging a 9lb laker for 10 miles lol, paid for that fish huh :lol:

Ted
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lake Huron Report!

Post by YakAttack »

Crunchy wrote:Took just over 2 hours to get 5 fish totalling 27.5 lbs!!!
Average size over a nickel! Awesome!
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Way to go chronzy....uh, I mean chrunchy! Nice slabs you got there. I would freeze if I had smallies that size on my line (given my love for light gear). Best of luck the rest of the way in. And I thought you were a trout master!!!! You put my smally work to shame.

Best fishes.

Keep it reel,

GRR
moondog
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moondog »

The 2nd pic !!!!----nice fish !!!!
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Good job on the "western" smallies, looks like somewhere on the Bruce Peninsula. I'll be headed out to eastern Ont. for the annual family cottage trip. Should be interesting with the new 8week old daughter :!:

My 5 year old son will be joining me on the boat (and no doubt out fishing me)

jjcanoe
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Some nice photos indeed. Great job. You say it's hard to break the 6lbs mark. Welcome to my world, only I'm having a hard time finding that 5lb mark. I'll get it one day though.

I don't think the kill shots added anything to the story, but like you said, if you don't like it don't read it. Fair enough, there's nothing wrong with keeping a few if you plan on eating them, totally legal, but I'd rather look at the non-kill shots. They're much more attractive in my humble oppinion.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)