Downriggers vs. Downriggers

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downriggers vs. Downriggers

Post by Billy Bones »

Hello Guys

Just bought myself a new ride. 18 ft. Starcraft aluminum open bow :D . Recently retired and planning on some fishing in Lake Ontario to hopefully get in on the salmon and trout available. Have been looking at Canon and Big Jon electric downriggers, both are probably excellent, but would like any input from guys that have actually used them. Much appreciated.

Thanks
Billy Bones :D
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i own big john electrics.

i've used walkers, cannons, and scotty's.

they are ALL good.

seriously.

just decide what you want to spend, and see what models fit your style best....

its kind of like what rod is better, loomis, or st criox. you'll get varrying opinions, but fact remains, they are both great rods.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Riggers

Post by CCLad »

Over the years I have used Cannon, Big John and Scotty riggers for fishing kings/trout out on Lake "O". They all have there + and -'s. My personal preference for durability and speed are the Cannon's. Year's of excellent use.

Good luck, CCLad
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

I put electric Cannon's on my 186 Princrecraft when I purchased it 8 years ago, and have had no problems with them, although I do not consider the rod holders on mine to be the best - I believe they have since come out with new models. Congratulations on your new ride and good luck with lake Ontario salmon - a big Chinook on the end of your line is like nothing else.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

When I bought my '94 Legend I had a pair of Mag 10A Canons come with the boat. They have preformed flawlesly since 1994.

DropShot'r
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Thanks for the response, it seems that they are all good. Just a matter of making a choice and go with it. Looking forward to getting it out.

Thanks
Billy Bones
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Erie-Eyes wrote: "a big Chinook on the end of your line is like nothing else".
Erie Eye's hit that right on the head. No better fresh water fish to fight (My opinion) For those who have never hooked into a King out over the deep water, I'll describe it like this:

Landing a 30LBS small mouth bass that has 30 40 minutes of endurance. For those who like fishing and have never caught one, if you can. Give it a go!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

have to agree with the majority....nothing beats a king on the end of your line....'specially on a wire diver, that is peeling so hard and so fast you can't even get it out of the holder! :shock: