Planer Boards

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Planer Boards

Post by Billy Bones »

Hi Ya Guys

has anybody built a set of planer boards from the plans at the URL listed below. If so how did they work?

http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_ ... boards.htm

Thanks
Bill Bones
MuskyMike411
Participant
Participant

Post by MuskyMike411 »

Have not built them yet but got the plans in the fall. When i get them together i will let you know how they work. I am still deciding on the wood I am going to use though.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Yes Sir! Made 4 sets, 3 since sold using those plans. Only difference is, I used nice pine from Home Depot. They run beautifully. And as long as you prime, paint and shilac them, they should last forever.

My oldest boards are still going strong. Figured the cost to be about $50-$60 depending where you get your hardware.
MuskyMike411
Participant
Participant

Post by MuskyMike411 »

Hey Wall-I

did you consider any other wood or just go grab some pine? I have though of Cedar and Balsam but i dont want them to sit too high up. What brand of paint/varnish did you use and how many coats?

Mike
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

MuskyMike411 wrote:Hey Wall-I

did you consider any other wood or just go grab some pine? I have though of Cedar and Balsam but i dont want them to sit too high up. What brand of paint/varnish did you use and how many coats?

Mike
Hi Mike,

I went in and got "knot-less" pine which costs more but worth it in the end. The paint I can't remember but it was from CTC. As long as you remember to prime, most paints would be fine. I used fluorescent orange on them and then of course, the shilac which I put on 4 coats of.

Every fall I throw on another coat or two, if it looks like it's needed.
spoonmaster
Participant
Participant

Post by spoonmaster »

We built our boards with those plans and they work great. Have used the same set for 10 yrs or so. They are made out of clear pine. We use them on Erie and they run good even in 5-6 ft waves.

Good luck

Al
SpoonMaster lures