What have you learned this year (ice fishing)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Terry_F wrote:Bass Addict, you should start a diary and record air pressure against fishing results.
I believe that there is a general trend that the bite goes quiet for a few days after a low moves through. Can be good fishing before and during, but quiet after.
Of course, that could be an old wives tale.
At risk of hijaking the post.........Any opinions?
I have been trying to fisgure this one out.... are the "best times correlated with mon phases" at LOW tide or HIGH tide?

IF its HIGH tide then;

one would assume that if the peak fishing occurs with high tides then one would also HAVE to assume that FAST pressure rises would also simulate the same effect of a developing tide ..... conversly a fast approaching low pressure system would simulate the same effect of a retreating tide...

If the peak times are during LOW tide ... thent he opposite is true.... and the best fishing times would occur

NOW... I have noticed that while fishing in a location with an approaching Thunderstorm, that there is a MAJOR bite that occurs.... And we know that with approaching Thunderstorms that the pressure falls rapidly ...... so I would guess that FAST approaching low pressure systems would do the same and once the system passes (pressure rises) that the bite is less.

SO having said that.... My guess is that the peak fishing times listed are those that correspond with retreating tide times AND the best times to fish are when a low pressure system is fast approaching....
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I have learned that people should pay attention to weather warnings. Saturday night I played host to a couple of lads who burried a truck in the snow on the lake infront of my place. Saturday night I could see several vehicles wandering about the lake (obviously lost in the storm) If you don't know a lake, stay off of it in bad weather. Lesson learned, check the local weather forcast before heading out and plan your trip accordingly.

Now today, I am watching people getting stuck in the slush in attempt to get their shacks off the lake, right now I am watching some guys try to get a tractor unstuck, that went out to get a truck with a snow plow unstuck that was trying to get a small 4X4 pickup truck unstuck. Lesson learned, when its calling for 50 plus cm of snow in March, get your butt out there and get the shack off the lake before it comes.

The last lesson I learned was be accomodating to people who come asking for help , while I got skunked on Saturday fishing, the guys that landed on my dock / back door step had some walleye and we had a great fish fry.
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Great comments Serge.
I started out fishing in the sea of the south coast of England (Portsmouth) so I'm very familiar with tidal fishing.
In that area the tide changes every 8 hours, bite is on while tide is moving up or down, and dies off for 2 hours during high and low tide. This is a daily occurence with changes in the height of the tide on a monthly cycle with a spring and a neap tide thrown in annually. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tide ... 0&loc=0065
On top of this there are weather variations driven by high and low pressure and theses are randomised based on prevailing conditions.
I guess that a "Perfect Storm" situation can arise where a large pressure change coinciding with a Spring tide can make for some strange effects.
I'm thinking that here in North America, tidal effects are negligable on fishing, but pressure changes do have a large effect.
Bear in mind I come from an area with 15 ft depth changes ie, if you set up on the beach then the sea moving back 60ft from high tide to low tide measured on the beach, is not unusual, so I don't factor tidal effects when fishing here. Maybe I should. :shock: :shock:
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Terry_F wrote:Great comments Serge.
I started out fishing in the sea of the south coast of England (Portsmouth) so I'm very familiar with tidal fishing.
In that area the tide changes every 8 hours, bite is on while tide is moving up or down, and dies off for 2 hours during high and low tide. This is a daily occurrence with changes in the height of the tide on a monthly cycle with a spring and a neap tide thrown in annually. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tide ... 0&loc=0065
On top of this there are weather variations driven by high and low pressure and theses are randomized based on prevailing conditions.
I guess that a "Perfect Storm" situation can arise where a large pressure change coinciding with a Spring tide can make for some strange effects.
I'm thinking that here in North America, tidal effects are negligable on fishing, but pressure changes do have a large effect.
Bear in mind I come from an area with 15 ft depth changes ie, if you set up on the beach then the sea moving back 60ft from high tide to low tide measured on the beach, is not unusual, so I don't factor tidal effects when fishing here. Maybe I should. :shock: :shock:
You would be surprised I think on the tidal effects even in small lakes and rivers... I observed even as a teenager that creeks were higher during certain parts of the day... anybody doubt me? ... TRY this... on a pur sunny stretch in the summer (just so that you cant blame the experiment on precipitation) ... build a pile of rocks in a stream so that the top rock is just out of the water... then visit the stream at different times of the day and observe closely the water level in reference tot he top of the rock...... conclusion will be that the water level varies consistently with tidal forces from the moon/sun .... I believe that he fish are tied to these cycles ... they sense it... and those sense are triggers for them to go eat.... ... so as you say Terry, tidal changes coincide with a bite.... I am surprised however that you mention the times on either side of a tide coincide with a bite ... because that would also imply that rising pressure cause a bite to occur and that I believe is opposite to what were being told with cold front situations ....i.e. that they destroy or diminish a bite when in actuality, the cold front passage is followed by a large ramp up in pressure. ..... hmmmm .... maybe need somebody with a masters or PHD in Zoology with specialization is fish biology to explain this one to us?
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

yeah i went fishing once JUST just befor a huracain type of a storm!

and man were the bass on a feading frenzy... maybe just good time and good place... but befor a storm everytime it was good for me!

like if its there last hope to feed befor everyting gets mixed into a big milkshake then they cant see nothing and all the baitfish are hidding...

i dunno! 8)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

-that a palm rod with an unbaited 1/64 - 1/80oz tungsten jig will out fish just about anything for pannies.

-that the automatic ice fisherman is exponentially more fun than any conventional tipup. 8)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Tip-up wrote:Fishing 24/7 your forgot the most important thing you learned this year...

#1 - Don't share your honey holes with the world wide web :wink:

Ya for God sake........Don't mention Lake McGreGor,, Lake Grande,,

Oh and almost forgot '' Lake Peter North '' :lol: :lol: :wink:

BigBass 444 might be listening............Mouahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaa
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Well what did I learn this winter?
  • 1. Fish trap YUKONS + 3ft of snow + with or without and ATV = more time wasted Pushing, Pulling, Digging, Winching, Cursing, and Praying. Then packing light and fishing ....... :twisted:

2. Tim Hortons Old fashion plain donuts smell and taste so good toasted on a Mr. buddy :D

3. To keep the minnows alive at home after a days fishing.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

I have learnt it is hard to catch a limit from the sofa :(
jackass
Participant
Participant

Post by jackass »

plncrzy wrote:
In that area the tide changes every 8 hours, bite is on while tide is moving up or down, and dies off for 2 hours during high and low tide. This is a daily occurrence with changes in the height of the tide on a monthly cycle with a spring and a neap tide thrown in annually. http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tide ... 0&loc=0065
On top of this there are weather variations driven by high and low pressure and theses are randomized based on prevailing conditions.
You would be surprised I think on the tidal effects even in small lakes and rivers... I observed even as a teenager that creeks were higher during certain parts of the day... anybody doubt me? ... TRY this... on a pur sunny stretch in the summer (just so that you cant blame the experiment on precipitation) ... build a pile of rocks in a stream so that the top rock is just out of the water... then visit the stream at different times of the day and observe closely the water level in reference tot he top of the rock...... conclusion will be that the water level varies consistently with tidal forces from the moon/sun .... I believe that he fish are tied to these cycles ... they sense it... and those sense are triggers for them to go eat.... ... so as you say Terry, tidal changes coincide with a bite.... I am surprised however that you mention the times on either side of a tide coincide with a bite ... because that would also imply that rising pressure cause a bite to occur and that I believe is opposite to what were being told with cold front situations ....i.e. that they destroy or diminish a bite when in actuality, the cold front passage is followed by a large ramp up in pressure. ..... hmmmm .... maybe need somebody with a masters or PHD in Zoology with specialization is fish biology to explain this one to us?

:D I think dams and hydro generating stations are going to have more of an effect on the water level of inland streams than tidal changes. :P
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

Mongolian wrote:
plncrzy wrote:

:D I think dams and hydro generating stations are going to have more of an effect on the water level of inland streams than tidal changes. :P
while i agree that rivers and lakes that have their water level controlled by dams are less likely to be influenced by atmospheric changes...it seems a bit naive to suggest that ALL rivers and lakes are dam level controlled as you have done above :P
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

Mongolian wrote:
plncrzy wrote:

Well thats pretty obvious... you must have thought long and hard on that one..:roll: ... the point I was making for those that need it spelled out to them....is that there are tidal effects on lakes and streams on inland waters...... But since you bring it it up... makes you wonder if the fish are triggered by these rises/falls due to daily fluctuations in hydro production as well.
Spoonman
Participant
Participant

Post by Spoonman »

I learned:

- Do not bother heading on to the ice in -20 weather. (I own neither hut nor fish-trap).

- Panfish through the ice rock.

- Downsize. My latest addiction is an ultralight panfish combo.

- To keep the rod tip pointed down. This feisty two-and-a-half-pound* pike made quick work of my medium action frabill ice rod!

---

*I am awful at estimating poundage, so take that with a grain of salt.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Discovered on the last day of the season that jigging with williams wobbler or toronto wobbler can be very successful :D :D
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

well..

Vexialrs and Ice Machines are the only reason I go...oh and my clam pro..(end of season it stayed in the jeep to hard to pull on deep snow)

When you own a boat and can travel fro mlake to lake.

The last thing you want to be doing is stnading on 4-6ft of solid cold stuff..

It gets old realfast.. I mean sure its fun for a monh or so but its gets old quick.. I ned to cast & flip pads...... god melt, melt hurry...

havent been out since beginning of january

Lilly's & Hydrillia & Stumps Oh My!!! Lilly's & Hydrillia & Stumps Oh My!