Need prescription sunglasses...with good polarization

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

Trouthunter you are correct. The Fitovers web site says this too. However I double checked the tags tonight and they don't state it, but I will trust the website write up.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

Thanks for the replies folks!!!!!

I looked at Maui Jim sunglasses which are available in prescription.

Anyone have these? How are they for looking in the water? What color of lens doe you have?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

you'll also want to look at glass lenses vs plastic lenses.

i went with the glass, as its much better for the prescription part.....but i've heard the plastic offers better polarization and better scratch resistance.....

just another thing to consider.
Fsh756
Participant
Participant

Sunglasses that can be worn over prescription glasses

Post by Fsh756 »

If you are looking for sunglasses that can be worn over prescription glasses, there is a brand called Cocoons that you should check out.
www.cocoonseyewear.com

Price is only $44.95

I have a pair with amber lenses and one with copper lenses, and they work great for fishing! It's amazing how clear the lenses are even after having them for over a year sitting on my boat.

The Cocoons are 100% polarized, UV400, scratch resistant, and have a lifetime warranty on the frames. I've used the FitOvers before, and the lenses scratch way too easily.

Plus the Cocoons have an underscoop on the bottom of the sunglasses that offers 360 degrees of protection, which the FitOvers don't offer. When the glare is bouncing off of the water, it is very important to have the underscoop.

The Flex2Fit temples on the Cocons are also great because you can adjust them perfectly to fit your head.

There is a neoprene case and microfiber cleaning cloth included as well.

Definitely worth checking out. www.cocoonseyewear.com
Frazman
Participant
Participant

Post by Frazman »

I have to get my Eyes tested in a few weeks... I think I will be needing a new pair with maybe
a Prescription built in. I have two pairs of Serengeti Sunglasses for fishing & the others for everything else outdoors..

I Love them, If I have to I'll get another pair ??.

Frazman
Give a man a fish, feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime ------<III><
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I have been using prescription sunglasses for years.

Average cost for a quality frame and lenses run around 250 - 300 pair.

Make sure you get a pair that block out the sun from the side.

My current pairs are made by Nike and Bolle. I have a pir in gray green and on in amber. I havve an older pair that is a light amber/orange for cloudy dark conditions.

The onty problem with polarization is that the lighter the lens colour the less effective it is.

Maui Jims are great but extremely expensive.

I thought about getting bifocals but I just take my glasses off to re-tie.

Your optician should have a way to check for polarization. It looks like a mirror ubtil you out your glasses on. If you see an image they are properly polarized.

Due to my prescription I went with a high refractive glass lens ( i don't like no stinking coke bottle lenses) it means it real thin.

I use a micro fibre cloth to clean them and keep them wrapped int he clothe in a hard case.

I might get a pair of fitovers as back up.
Salar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Salar »

My brother has a set of polarized perscription Maui Jim's and he loves them. If I remember correctly the lenses are a copper or light brown in color. He uses them fly fishing in rivers and lakes. Great for looking into the water. They're not cheap though, around $400+ :shock:
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

you get what you pay for

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Maui Jim lots off models and available in prescription, Hva ehad pair for 3 years awesome better than my bolle.

Mcooeye optical downtown off Queen see Don tell him Mike sent you.....
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Perscription Glasses

Post by Joey Rat »

I looked up this site after seeing it in In fisherman. "http://www.habervision.com/". You can read the details. I can't vouch for the quality but the prices look good.

I was interested the regular polarized glasses with the 2.25 magnifier bifocals. I find I have to take off my sunglasses and put on my reading glasses to change lures.

Ed had something similar at Paddletales last time I was in but they didn't fit my big fat head.
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ploarized Sunglasses

Post by baitcaster »

We will have 3 types of polarized sunglasses at the Carp Show including the Cocoons.
Mike has Maui Jims and loves them! They're not prescription though. I have the Bluewater Optics and like them as well. Both come in prescription.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

I have polarized, graduated bifocals, ordered through my optometrist, which are light, comfortable, trouble-free and very high in quality. I use them all the time, except in the evening, when I use clip-ons with my regular glasses, which also works OK, and only costs $20. Take your pick.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I've used a pair of Cocoon's for about a year now and really like them. I got tired of messing around with 3 sets of glasses (2 regular, 1 sunglass). The Coccons are not exactly the most fashionable things on the planet (the are fairly big and blocky) but they block out the sun from the top, bottom and sides and have the best polarization that I have used so far.