Plastics Storage

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Plastics Storage

Post by Joey Rat »

I know this topic has been covered from a number of angles but I have a storage question.

I have a tackle binder and it's loaded to the gills. I currently have the overflow in their original packages, sorted by type into zip lock bags.''It works okay but I kind of look like a "bag-lady" with a boat instead of a shopping cart.

I was considering orgainizing some of them in to "plano" boxes but with all the salt and scent impregnated baits, is this a good idea?

I have noticed people selling boxes of plastics in the classifieds but its hard to tell if they are salted/scented.

I guess my main concern would be leaching between baits and loss of effectiveness.

Of course it would help if I would just stop buying the damn things.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I prefer to store my plastics in the large size finesse binder bags from BPS:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... _100-11-10

If you like these call Bait Casters. They will get them for you.

I have 5 BPS finesse binder bags that I carry in my tackle bag. One each for senkos, tubes, worms, dropshot'n , & flippin.
Extra plastics are stored in original packaging kept in replacement envelopes I purchased for the binder bags. These extra plastics are stored in a cardboard box. I prefer the "toss it in the box and root around for it later" style of tackle management. Kinda like Christmas....WOW!! look what I found in here, geeze, I forgot all about buying them!!
I suspect you will recieve convincing arguments for binders as well as "plano" style boxes. Both have good points as well as detractors.
All of my hardbaits are stored in Plano 3771 boxes. Split shot & dropshot weight are stored in small Fenwick boxes.
Tackle bag manufacturers seem to be lagging behind in development of a system to store the binders they are now producing, seemingly stuck in a plano style box storage mentality.
In the end it comes down to your own personal preferences. What works for me might not be the best solution for you.

Good luck,
DropShot'r
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Plastics Storage

Post by Joey Rat »

Thanks Dropshot'r

A man after my own heart. :D I see my problem immediately, I only have one binder bag. :shock: It is the double sided one and holds a ton of stuff but obviously I need more.

I shall resolve that problem in the near future. 8)

I have a similar system for my hard baits and terminal tackle.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I started with the double BPS finesse binder bag too. I found it too big and busy to keep things segregated as I wanted to. I've since replaced that double bag with two large bags this year. Took a Sharpie and wrote the contents on the top of each binder to take out guess work.

DropShot'r
Basshole
Participant
Participant

BPS Large Binder

Post by Basshole »

Any idea how much baitcasters sells them for???
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

I had ordered other stuff along with the binders, so I'm not quite sure of the exact price. I know it was quite reasonable to the BPS catalog price. Bait Casters orders from BPS on a regular basis. Give them a call or send an e-mail, I'm sure Crystal will remember what they cost or can get you an answer PDQ. It sure as hell beats driving all the way to BPS in TO to find out they are out of what you came all that way for.
I would suggest ordering an extra package of envelopes for every two binders. They all come with 10 (20 for the double) envelopes. Depending on the size & type of plastics you can get 15-20 envelopes in each large binder.

Hope this helps,
DropShot'r
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Plastics storage

Post by Joey Rat »

Basshole, I don't know what Baitcasters prices are but here are the Bass Pro prices from the 2008 catalogue.

Medium 71/2 X 6 X 3, $9.99
Large 10 X 8 X 3, $11.99
Double 10 X 8 X 6, $17.99

The extra pages are $2.19 for the medium and $3.19 for the large for a package of 10.

Now these are american prices I think I paid about $29 for the double.

It'll give you an idea anyhow.