OOS bass fishing a joke(now with pic)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Theorem
Participant
Participant

Post by Theorem »

Quick question from an Ottawa area newbie. Very related to this topic because I'm super-conscious of fishing seasons (Something my Dad beat into me at a young age! Hahaha :D )

I come from Northern Ontario and there's no bass at all there. It's pretty cut and dry, you're either fishing pike, walleye or trout and theres very little environmental, depth, or bait overlap. Well, you might accidentally catch Pike while fishing walleye or something but what can you do.

I moved to Ottawa, don't have any space for a real boat and so I'm limited to a canoe, an inflatable (lol), or from shore. I'm finding it really awkward fishing spring pike because I feel they share so much with bass. Lures, depth, structure, they're just so similar. And in a smaller canoe you are limited to smaller waters which makes it worse. So, I'd fish pike, and catch only pike, but I'd still be worried that someone would accuse me of bass fishing when that wasn't the case at all.

So I called the MNR to ask what they recommend, and they told me "Avoid waters that are known to be bass habitat". But any specific area I asked them about (Petrie Island, Jock River etc etc) they'd admit was a grey area. They emphasized that it's the act of targetting that is illegal, but that if I do find I'm catching bass while targetting pike to leave the area.

So basically, at this point, when I'm target spring pike, I try to throw bigger pike lures and if I do see or hook a bass, I just move on to another area. What else would you guys recommend? I'm going to be hitting the Rideau for pike this week and the last thing I want is people accusing me of breaking the law or assuming I'm up to no good. Any other tips for people who want to fish pike in shallower areas but who don't want to accidentally pressure bass? :?

Can't wait until Bass opens so there's no issues. :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

This is getting outta hand......

1) The main point is guys out fishing bass. On purpose, outta season.
2) There is debate of stereotype for guys with Bass boats being accused of fishing solely for bass.

Ok we get it. Some guys with bass boats aren`t fishing for bass. They`re fishing pike etc.

I too was on the Ottawa and saw the same thing. These guys were fishing bass. I WILL not make excuses or assume they weren`t. Plain and simple they were quite merrily breaking the law.

The point here wasn`t that everyone in a bass boat is a poacher. It was more an observation and that an upstanding member made a point to do something about it rather than sit by idly allowing this to happen.

Look, if your poaching your a goof. You should be fined, and have your fishing priviliges revoked.

Accidentally catching bass while fishing is inevitable. But don`t tell me guys on bass boats, casting frogs and even pitching are trying for pike!
Especially when some guys on this thread have even pointed out that they have seen people with pails of em.

As for species specific. I don`t think a single muskie guy on here worth anything is trolling stalkers and tossing believers out of season.

In early May I stay out of bass and muskie waters. I go only to walleye holes that I know hold them and also at the times they are there feeding.
I did indeed catch some OOS Smallies. They went straight back in the water and no pics! Which says alot as one was over the 20 inch mark!

True Pike will and do hit just about anything. But if your catching more bass than pike I`d be moving on.

Too bad our MNR is broke. I guarantee you that these guys would have been supremely fined if found in QC waters.

Perhaps we should adopt their system before bass of any good size are only a memory.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Every now and then FH gets a heated topic going, and as long as it stays relatively peacefull a lot can be gained. Reading over the posts I think we have been talikng about 2 classes of poachers here; 1 is the group that is after a fish fry, they have always done and don't wish to change. The other is the tournament angler that has been idle for a year and is desperate to get some practice in for the upcoming opener. The first group is difficult to police but will have evidence at the launch. The second are more difficult to catch; these are typically accomplished anglers who can easily mask their activities to appear like an innocent pike hunt. The attraction of going out for a practice must be high, especially when money is involved in the opener tournament. Personally, I beleive the tournament organizers should get involved in this obviously shady business - it is their anglers and their organization that gets stigmatized by a select few - hence the uproar from the law abiding bass boat owners here on FH. Why not police the waters the weekend before and disqualify anglers from entering the tournament if it is clear they are "practising" OOS. I was out there too this Sat and saw several boats clearly bass fishing - you don't normally target pike with senkos or J&Ps my 2c
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Theorem,

If you're fishing the weedlines with large spinnerbaits or jerkbaits you shouldn't have a problem. Now if you're thowing senkos it would hard to convince anyone that you weren't targeting bass. ;-)
LowKey
Participant
Participant

Post by LowKey »

I gotta say, I look pretty damn good in those jeans! Hey TMH, pass me another soft plastic will yah!
Last edited by LowKey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Well low key

Your picture will be on every single forum and I mean every one by tonight.

Bass , muskie whatever forum, you will get your 15 minutes and I hope you never live it down.

And I will be sending it to the MNR as well.
LowKey
Participant
Participant

Post by LowKey »

muskymatt wrote:Well low key

Your picture will be on every single forum and I mean every one by tonight.

Bass , muskie whatever forum, you will get your 15 minutes and I hope you never live it down.

And I will be sending it to the MNR as well.
I guess I better break out the fake moustache! :lol:

ah that was fun while it lasted.

Rideau River is loaded with OOS'ers also.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

haven't been here for a while..
the website of osfp's
Last edited by dana on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dana »

removed :

[blush]

due to being VERY wrong and arguing "technically" when the original poster was more than correct

sorry muslkie matt
Last edited by dana on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: maybe u izz rong

Post by muskymatt »

dana wrote:ya know despite that picture and the sanctimonious out cry..that skeeter guy could be fishing for pike.. and please spare me your untapped fishing knowledge of pike /bass location and what they bite on
you maywant to re think your photo posting..

*****or he coulda been fishing outta season for bass..

now the pail of bass is a bit different..

i was out there a few weeks ago too..i did only have a crappie jig with a float..but i have a walleyeboat so i'm in the clear.

dana ....I asked him what he was fishing for and he said (practicing for bass)...What more do you need???
and please spare me your untapped fishing knowledge of pike /bass location and what they bite on
I've been fishing my entire life..... :roll: you don't think I'd have some expertise :roll: ...... at least to see what kind of angling someone is doing...Please :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Whatever....I guess you have all the answers eh... :lol:

I'm not going to rethink posting the photo...I should have posted all of them...

I have no regrets being a thorn in his side...I'd do it again in a second....

Thanks for the constructive opinion anyways! :roll:
dana
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

BIG SORRY

Post by dana »

Hey Buddy,

Sorry..oops...i missed that part.

I'm still laughing that the person would say that.

dana
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

LowKey wrote:
I gotta say, I look pretty damn good in those jeans! Hey TMH, pass me another soft plastic will yah!
What a jerk!!...

Hope to see you on the water!!!... :wink:...it won't be a soft plastic passing your way....it'll be a 12" crankbait...haven't really practised casting with the new baitcasting reel yet...hope you have good reflexes 8)
Last edited by troutnmuskiehunter on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Kpin summed it up
We honest anglers are VERY protective of our natural resources. This is why we not only follow the regs but also upon practices that will harm the very sport we love so much.
Come on RJ, it is not that we are muskie anglers jumping all over the bass guys. It is quite simply just that we are dedicated fisherman, like everyone else on this board, and that there happened to be 60 some muskie guys out there that all saw the guys POACHING. They werent practising, or trying out new gear, they were POACHING

If I was a trout, walleye, bass, or even carp guy I would still have the same thoughts and opinions. No matter what their OOS target is. Poaching is poaching no matter which way you slice it or try to jutify yourself. We all know our MNR is more or less non exsitent, it is up to us to care for our resource and police ourselves. A little more moral fibre and integrity can go a long way.

Cheers
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

No worries dana...

a simple misunderstanding :wink:

It would be nice to see if collectively we could make an impact on the omnr to revisit funding based on occurances such as this!

Sites like this can be a useful tool in relaying opinions, if used correctly.
ChrisS
Participant
Participant

Post by ChrisS »

Wow, guys c'mon.....relax. There is nothing in any of those pictures that tells me this guy is fishing bass. If some wannabe fish policeman came up to me on the water while I was fishing and started acting like an authority figure I'd probably tell them I was fishing oos bass too (among other things)....just to egg them on....geez some of you guys take yourselves way too seriously. There was one mention of a bucket of fish and one guy who said he was practising and all of a sudden it's "buckets of fish" and "pre-fishing tournament anglers". I don't think you guys will have much luck posting those pictures all over the internet. Anyone can post a picture of someone fishing out of a bass boat. For all we know that picture could've been taken last year. Sending them to the MNR won't do squat either.....they're up to their eyeballs in paper-work, administering all the regulations that can't be enforced due to lack of man-power.