Arklan Island

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
weekend warrior
Participant
Participant

Arklan Island

Post by weekend warrior »

Had a good time fishing on the Mississipi river tonight. Landed couple of smallies and the obligatory hammerhandle.

I was wondering if anyone's fished from or around Arklan Island (Mississippi River in Carleton Place)... and if so, is there any way to get from the mainland to the island without a boat? I've got some hipwaders if it's wadeable or could get my hands on a canoe.

Suggestions?
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

Theres a couple of dams right on mill street. The lower dam there is a path way which the water is about knee high during low water conditions. There where some good size pike in there i caught 2 weeks ago and theres alot of smallmouths , most of them are small but there are some big ones i caught in there when i was going after pike.

Hope thats helps

have fun fishing and good luck
weekend warrior
Participant
Participant

Post by weekend warrior »

Thanks for the info D. I'll be sure to wet some lures in that area.

The island I'm referring to is a little bit more upriver... a ways upstream from the McNeely Ave bridge. Here it is on the map: http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&ge ... 52872&z=14

Cheers,
Mark