how long does it take?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
finepoint
Participant
Participant

how long does it take?

Post by finepoint »

Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how long a SMB would take once released, to go 'back on the bite'? (hours/days...?)

Assuming not injured just a single texas rigged hook- say a #4.

Would it be possible to catch the same monster twice in a weekend?
Have a great fishing wknd. it's supposed to be amazing!
G
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Caught a smallie last year on gulp ,,,at the boat it came off taking the
gulp with it ............four to five minutes later Fish-on = same fish with the gulp sticking out of its sandtrap :shock: :shock: :shock:
valley_boy
Participant
Participant

Post by valley_boy »

This summer fishing with light tackle I had a smallie break my line. About five minutes later I caught it, my hook sticking out the side of its mouth. Apparently most fish dont have much sense of pain in their mouth, they have to eat crayfish and such. I imagine a fish hooked deeper would remember the pain and not bite for a while.
farmerkid
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by farmerkid »

i caught a chunky largemouth during the summer with a senko, i put him back, fix my worm, cast out 30 seconds later, get a bite and reel him in. it was the same fish. I think he wasnt of the smart type! :lol:
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

I have been in a situation where I caught a bunch of largies on "a" color. After a while they wouldn't hit it anymore. Changed colors (same rig / brand and all), bam, fish on again.

Can't explain it though.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

I think fish will just keep hitting even after you let them go....................

Depends on the fish but I believe it happens
digitalchef
Participant
Participant

Post by digitalchef »

Got smallish pike to the boat side at constance lake this summer, only to have the line snap and take my mini green spinner with it. 2 hrs later and pretty much on the other side of the lake, I got the same fish with my spinner tightly top hooked with 3 feet of line!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Buddy and I cast out at the same time within 3 or four feet of each other, (We do this a lot as it seems to increase our chances) him on a spinner me on a toppie. He gets a hit and starts wrestling with a pike... I stop my retrieve to watch... seems like it had some good back bone, but he evidently did not have a good hook set and his line went dead after about 10 or 15 seconds of fun. I resumed my retrieve and was ready for a hit as it seems to happen quite a bit that the commotion attracts others to the area... within about 6 pops, WHAM I get a good hit and he is on... that is one thing about toppies with the two treble hooks... you don't need a huge talent in hook setting 'cause they get a face full of hooks just from seeing it! Get him in the boat and remove the hooks, go to weigh him and notice a tuft of my buddies spinner skirt stuck in between his teeth!

Sure enough my buddies skirt was a little trimmed!

:D
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

I caught a nice smallie in the 2lb range on vacation this year twice in two casts, How do I know??? it had 3 scales missing in a triangle pattern on the side in the same spot near the tail as the one I had just taken a picture of. It was also the same length and the hook mark was still fresh from the previous cast.
Between my friend and I we caught the same rock bass 8 times (it had a leech on it's belly) within a 2 hour period.

I had read at one time that bass can have up to two weeks of memory when it comes to lures, but I don't really believe that anymore.

jjcanoe
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

today king fisher and i both caught the same fish at the same time both of our hooks in it :shock: :shock: weird
Lancer
Participant
Participant

Post by Lancer »

I think it depends, I am a bit surprised by results you guys have. I never caught a pike or the same bass twice. Not that I could tell anyways. With that said I have often missed a fish with a top water only to have it hit my lure 2 seconds after. Same goes for when my wife missed a fish. I cast right over that spot and BAM I get her fish. Works all the time LOL.
I think it's when you hurt them, they often won't bite in the next minute.

One example with a pike is I had a strong hit on my top water lure I waited he went down in the water, tried to set the hook, lost him. The water was crystal clear and it was a big 10ish lbs pike and he was going around in circles around the same area (2 feet of water lily pads). I could see him very well from my platform. I threw that top water many times at him, he didn't even react to it anymore. And that top water lure is excellent for pike, they always hit it. I didn't bother changing the lure. I was out of good top water lures that do not stick up in lily pads. However noticed something pretty cool with pikes. They almost always go back to the same hidding spot if you spook them. I caught a big one not long ago because of that behavior.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

fish are cold blooded,they don't feel pain ,like we would ,when stuck with a hook.
Lancer
Participant
Participant

Post by Lancer »

Raminator wrote:fish are cold blooded,they don't feel pain ,like we would ,when stuck with a hook.
I don't know about that. There have been studies that prove fish do feel pain. Or at least they respond to it.

Just putting a hook in a live minnow you can tell the little guy is hurting. Same goes when you cut a worm in two. Who are we to tell if the fish feels pain or not? The closest we can come to figure it out is to see it respond to stimuli...and they do.