loading an ATV onto an F-150

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

loading an ATV onto an F-150

Post by lenb12 »

Hi Everyone :

I have sturdy steel ramps to load my ATV on my F-150.
The problem is that I am worried about the truck gate - those gate cables could snap and I could find myself taking a dirt nap permanently as a result.
I could take the gate off permanently and get some sort of mesh that I've seen on other trucks, but I have no idea of what type to get and how difficult it's going to be to install. Does anyone know of an easy solution ?

Len
Last edited by lenb12 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Good post Len....I've always wondered that myself however I haven't had any issues loading my 650 Brute Force Kawi on my 2004 F-150 4x4....I think you should be ok as long as the weight is distributed on each side so that both cables are taking the load together....having said that, I took a walk outside and saw some rust on the cables which is making me wonder now...I'm going to make a few calls next week to see if I can get a couple of replacement tailgate cables custom made out of aircraft cable and with a 1000lb rating...I also believe you can buy stock replacements from Ford...
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

iv seen people loading skidoos in a truck with both cables broken!

i think those cables are there for safety!

meanning its not just the cables that hold the tail gate from falling off!

that said myself had never tried it .

but would love to get tips to i have a new ( old) skidoo!

loading tips would come handy!
lenb12
Participant
Participant

Post by lenb12 »

I've seen those hooks which screw into the top horizontal face of the walls of the box. With tie wraps tied to those hooks at the front of the box and at the sides(and tied at the other ends to the ATV), in my opinion there is no way that an ATV could fall out of the box.

I guess I will be using the ramps on the bumper and I will tie them to the bumper using the tie wraps for complete security while loading the ATV. There is a slight rise between the top of the bumper and the box, so I will do the load travelling very slowly while driving the ATV into the box.

Len
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Len....I bought the extra long ramps (96") and they each have ratchet type straps that I attach to the ramp and truck trailer hitch area which stops the ramps from "kicking" out.....Fishing 24/7 is correct...the tailgate is not going to fall off..here's a couple of pics of the ramps I bought....you'll see the red straps going under the tailgate... you'll also see the old home made ramp I made that I almost killed myself on ( I did close to a 360degree with my old Kawi loading the bike on the truck)....I was lucky!!

Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bruin »

I have been loading bikes and sleds into the back of pickups for years....Never once had any issues.....Those cables are there to keep the gate level but are capable of holding a ton or more of weight....I would not worry about the gate as much as I would worry about the ramps sliding back off when you get close to the top.... If you have a second person, have them brace up as you go up or tap 2 small holes into the gate and drop a bolt in to ensure nothing slips on ya...just my 2 cents
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Previous posts are right, your biggest worry is keeping the ramps from sliding. If the tail gate cables break, which I have never seen from loading a bike or snow machine, then the tail gate will rest on your bumper.

orrsey
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

orrsey wrote: If the tail gate cables break, then the tail gate will rest on your bumper.

orrsey

Then actually making it easier to load your Machine of choice :)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Don't worry about the cables bro!
I load my Sportsman 600 and my wife's 800 sportsman onto the back of my truck all the time (well until I bought an enclosed sled trailer). The back wheels of both machines stick out enough so that we cannot close the tailgate. I have metal folding ramps that have security chains on them. The chains allow me to secure the ramps to the truck to prevent "kick-out". Used them for 5 years now and no issues.

You can get the ramps at any ATV dealer. I bought mine from Lake and Trail but as they no longer exists you'd have to look elsewhere.

The bonus of them folding is that you can fold them up and slide them under your atv.

Best $100 spent!

My $0.02
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

The only thing to keep in mind is if the cables are rusting the could snap, A tailgate replacement could cost you big time if you care about the looks of your truck
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskie4L wrote:The only thing to keep in mind is if the cables are rusting the could snap, A tailgate replacement could cost you big time if you care about the looks of your truck
Exactly Ted!!!....spending less than $100 bucks on replacement cables versus body work on fixing a banged up tailgate :shock: .....it's a no brainer :wink:
lenb12
Participant
Participant

Post by lenb12 »

Thanks to all of you for your good advice. I'm no truck expert and someone
had told me (before I made this posting) that if the cables break, then the gate goes to the ground and the ATV goes down with it and then I take a permanent dirt nap. But, now I know a dirt nap is not possible, but a mangled tail gate is.

In order to save a possible mangled tailgate n the event of the cables breaking, where can I get a good set of cables ? I suppose a FORD dealer, but maybe there are cables that I can get elsewhere that are super heavy duty ?

With respect to the ramps, I used tie downs to secure the ramps by looping them under the truck gate, and then over the gate and through the holes in the ramps.

Len
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

don't get replacement cables at Canadian tire. My dad has gone through 2 sets, they are garbage.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

orrsey wrote:don't get replacement cables at Canadian tire. My dad has gone through 2 sets, they are garbage.

So are the ones that come with the new GM'S........rust out in one year ,
And not a warranty item :shock: :shock: :roll: $ 75.00 to replace them

Each BTW $$$$$$$$$$$$$

No wonder Gm is going Bankrupt :wink: :wink:
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

GM cables are covered for 3 yrs 60,000km under regular. If anyone is having a problem with the warranty claim please let me know as i may be able to help.

GM is not going bankrupt!

Cheers
JP