fishing in Cuba?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fishing in Cuba?

Post by Troller »

Hi Guys, I heard the jolly old elf is going to arrange for me to go to Cuba in January. (Yes, I have been a good boy this year!) along with my wife and two sons who are fishing enthusists. I have never been there before.
Has anyone ever fished in this region? Our accomodation is located in Cayo Coco, within the Jardines del Rey archipelago, off the central part of the Island and separated from the mainland by a 17-kilometer-long stone road over paradise-like waters.
I would like to do shore type reef fishing. Any tips or experiences here would be appreciated. I will not be bringing any equipment with me as the equipment is available at my resort. That was a must have on my wish list lol.`

Thanks
Dave
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Hola Dave,

I've been to that spot in Cuba a couple times and actually fished in a lagoon area by my resort. I stayed at El Senador, which is now NH Krystal in 2003. I also stayed at Blau Colonial in 2007. I fished at Tryp Cayo Coco. There is a "guide" service that will provide you with poles, bait (which consists of a couple of warm pcs of shrimp from the buffet) a boat and a small motor that is probably not going to work. It was January when we went so the wind was nasty and the drift in the lagoon took us into a thick mangrove patch that was hard to get out of with a couple of oars. We did manage to see what looked like snook or bonefish and I'm told that there are barracudda (sp.) in the area.

In the lagoons you're more likely to catch crab and a good buzz off the Ron Blanco y el Buccanero Beer. Leventan sous copa y celebren con el mundo!!! Do let us know how you make out.

Adios,

GRR
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

I was in Cayo Coco 2 years ago.I thought the fishing from shore was great.You want to go to Pillar's beach.It's a $5 cab ride from the resort's.It has good reef fishing and big cuda's there.Bomber's and Rap's worked great.I also caught a small tarpon there.You will not be disappointed with Cayo Coco.Without a doubt my favourite place to go.If the wife wasn't pregnant I'd be there also this year.Don't forget the animal reserve there, it's worth seeing.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Dave;you are better to bring some of your gear.Fishing gear there does not consist of much!
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Excellent ..

Post by D-mo »

A beautiful spot .. I stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco .. and will be returning this year again.
PM me if you wish ..

d-mo
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I think that you'll be safe to leave the auger at home!!!!! Have a good vacation!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Since I remember trying to find an answer to this question a couple years ago...I remember hearing that Cuba had awesome bass fishing; also heard that it has been fished out:

Can anyone confirm?
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

hey Troller
I caught 40 or so cuda around the resort on my last trip. Caught some nice snapper to about 8 pounds as well. Hooked and lost two tarpon at night as well. Bring your rod.....

drop me a PM and I will tell you what to pack.
I am thinking of going back in March but there is talk about the cayo coco region being a sanctuary ( check cubamania.com for details)
they are trying to make it so you have to fish with a guide.

The bridge on the way to Cayo Guillero produces some good catches as well. Get some bait from the cooks on your resort and you should get some nice snapper and cuda
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Hi Guys, Thanks for the tips, now I have an idea what to expect. I am not leaving for another month, so I will be in touch closer to my departure date. With your help I should be able to get my sons an ocean fish. They do not know about the trip yet but I am sure that fishing will be one of their first questions after 'Does that mean I get to miss a week of school!!??'

Thanks again,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dave
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Good fishin' to ya Dave and hope to see a report on your return... I'm going back to Cuba in a year with friends and plan on convincing the others that Cayo Coco has better "beaches" than the Veradero side of the island :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bonefish

Post by D-mo »

9 wieight rod, salt water wf or bullet taper line, diy. Info and some good "bite" boots. Oh don't forget the wire leader for the cuda.

D-mo