Swede Bore Auger

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Swede Bore Auger

Post by Out4trout »

Swede Bore augers are on sale at Crap Tire this week $54.99, seems like a decent price. They have 5", 6" and 8". The local Brockville store had 5 of the 8" units last night, until 8:30pm, now one less... :wink:

My old Fin-bore was only 6" and 4 holes would take the smile off my dial - hope the new girl cuts a bit easier...

O4T
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bruin »

Just keep those blades good and sharp and you should have no problems

Good buy....Good luck
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

cprince wrote:Anything like this one?

http://www.canadianoutdoorstore.com/COS ... ductid=539
Yep - that's the one - but the link above is for replacement blades only... the auger itself is here...
http://www.canadianoutdoorstore.com/COS ... bestseller

O4T
Brant
Participant
Participant

Post by Brant »

I just noticed the augers on sale 20% off. But even worse The sled I just bought at christmas is 50% off. DAMN
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Out4trout wrote:
cprince wrote:Anything like this one?

http://www.canadianoutdoorstore.com/COS ... ductid=539
Yep - that's the one - but the link above is for replacement blades only... the auger itself is here...
http://www.canadianoutdoorstore.com/COS ... bestseller

O4T
Thanks! I might pick one up today!! Do they sell replacement blades at CT?
Fishing Family
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Family »

Yes they do, the avg sizes they stock are 6 and 8
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Worst auger ever
If you thought the fin-bore was grief you really wont like the swede bore
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hey Guys

I have a normark auger and have always thought it was pretty good for a hand auger. 8 inch hole hand augers are not great for around here though....way too much ice. Unless you are looking for a good work out.

I actually use a hand auger until the ice is around 8 inches. After that it is all power. I spent along time in Alberta in my youth hand drilling holes and vowed to never do it again. Nothing is more aggrivating than hand drilling a hole and realizing your auger will not make it all the way through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I have owned a PILE of ice augers in my life, and I would not say that the Swede Bore is a poor auger..........

But I saw my buddy use a new "Sub Zero" hand auger today, and I don't think I ever saw a six-inch hand auger drill a hole faster, it just went through the ice like a hot knife through butter. He had bought it recently at a Canadian Tire store here in Kingston. I have never heard of the brand, and I suspect it is made in China, but by golly it sure as hell cut through the ice. He was cutting six inch holes as fast as I was cutting 3.5" holes, and my little Normark just chews through the hard water. It has bolt-on blades, but I have no idea if Sub-Zero sells replacement blades or not.

Anyways, he says he paid about fifty bucks for it, and based on its performance today it looks like a winner. FWIW.

Doug
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Bruin wrote:Just keep those blades good and sharp and you should have no problems

Good buy....Good luck
I agree, I'll need to get the Fin-bore blades sharpened - and keep it only for smaller fish eg specks and bows. I really wanted to go up to 8" for the larger trout - I'll post back on how the swede-bore (mora) cuts for me...

O4T