when to respool baitcasters?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fish_man_dude
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

when to respool baitcasters?

Post by fish_man_dude »

nearing the end of last years bass season i spooled up my Quantum Accurist PT baitcaster with 14LB Berkley Iron Silk...when is it time to respool? I know that i have to respool when i'm running low on line and whn their are tooo many nics near the backing but what is the rule of thumb?

thx
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Changing line on baitcasters

Post by Seaweed »

You know that is a good question and in my opinion I think it depends greatly on the type of line. Some lines have a tendency to develop a memory I have been told and to me that means that they can twist and hold a spiral look rather than a straight line. I try to change my baitcasters twice a year..... expensive but it helps me to experience less birdnests... you know when it is time because you keep getting all messed up. I like to run heavy line on baitcasters because it tends to not get messed up as bad when you do that birdnest cast.

My 2 cents
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey F.M.D.

You can turn your line around .... but the used end on first , that way you can get some extra life out of your line

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!><
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

Whenever you decide to go to power pro would be a good time to respool. :lol: I'm not sure if ironsilk takes on water like mono if it does you would definitlely change yearly at the least, knicks would just mean cutting the leading portion off and retying. That remines me I've got that stuff ona reel somewhere. :roll:
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

You should change your line not only because of nicks and memory, but also because of damage from ultra-violet rays. These rays cause your line to become brittle and seriously reduce knot strength.
I strip all the line off in the fall and respool with fresh in the spring. Then, before each tournament, I peel off 1/2 of the line and respool the top half with fresh. The line on the bottom half of the reel never gets used so its primary function is as a filler only. Some of the new super free reels have bigger hubs on the spools. On those, I change all the line.

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

I personally change my line every season. Avoid losing a trophey over a few buks...no way
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

I'm with toobinator on this one. I change my line the same way, except with my flipping rods. They usually have braid on them, so I only put about 25-30 yards of braid on, with mono filling the bottom portion of the spool. You only need a few yards when pitching & flipping, so I can get a season out of a couple of small spools of braid this way.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Respool when and where

Post by Seaweed »

Well I tried some old line that was hanging around from a year ago so that I wouldn't get my good line for bassin all stretched out of whack fishing pike. Well wouldn't you know it..... birdsnest city was all that I got. You know I know this stuff and yet year in year out I try to reinvent everything I know about fishing. I am too cheap to throw out the spool and yet then I find myself on the water with an outfit that requires respooling with good line. I have done this twice already this year. One of these days I will learn that the easiest way to avoid problems with your baitcasters is to find a line that you love.... not like.... find the one that you love and spool it and don't look back. That way you will spend more time fishing and less time fighting with your rod and reel and cursing like a trooper while floating past a dock that you know holds good fish.

When do you change you line..... ?

You will find out when. 8)