Lanark Brook Trout Feb. 22 - First Post

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wheresdad
Participant
Participant

Lanark Brook Trout Feb. 22 - First Post

Post by wheresdad »

I wanted to pass on a report about an outing my son and I had this past Sunday to a Lanark area lake (MNR stocked). This was our second time out ice fishing and we both caught our first fish through the ice. (Yes, first time out we were skunked).

It was a 20 minute hike into the lake and we had it to ourselves most of the day. Arrived at 9am, left at 2 pm. caught 3 brookies, 2 other bites. all between noon and 1 pm. A few heavy snow falls interspersed with some blue sky, but not too windy.

Gut check showed these smallish trout were eating some very small minnows (thumbnail size some of them) and some type of black beetles/waterbugs. There was a worm in there too.

Tried out my new hand auger, which travelled nicely strapped to an old backpack rack. Explored the surrounding area - saw plenty of deer tracks and a some snowshoe hare tracks.

Overall, a great day and brought home a tidy dinner. I think I'm hooked on this ice fishing stuff (at least when the weather is reasonable).

Ray

Hope the image upload worked.

bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

That is fantastic!

Great to see you introducing your son to ice fishing, looks like he had a great time!
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

brook trout always looks better cooked, nice to hear you had a good day fishing.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Nice going Father/son ,,, 8)
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Welcome to Fish-hawk :) Some of the best times of my life were when my dad use to take my brother and I out fishing...I really miss it now. He has always been the #1 influence to my love for the sport. One of my goals this year is to get him out more fishing with me.

Great pictures and report. Those specs are sure tastey and can make for some great action through the ice. Congrats to you and your son :wink:

Andrew
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

father-son is cool an investment in the future.
Life goes on
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Super first report Ray! I really enjoyed the last photo....looking really tasty.

Good for you, getting your son out to enjoy the ice fishing experience. It's all about the memories.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I was up in that area fishing for specks as well. Good to see the father son thing...Can't wait for my boy to get old enough.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Awesome job...nice trout too
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Welcome aboard and an excellent fist report - thanks for sharing a special day with your son.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hi Wheresdad and welcome.

That was a stellar 1st post and a fine report. As others have said, it is a wonderful thing to take a kid fishing. What a memorable outing for the two of you.

Looking forward to your future reports.

W.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Great looking outing,nothing but smile's from your son...that's what it's all about!
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

Great post. Congrats! Those fish look very tasty...Keep on bringing the little fellow out!. Priceless.
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Nothing better than a day like that.
wolf5
Participant
Participant

father/son

Post by wolf5 »

Same for me when I was small boy my mom teach me how to fish for speck! ugh! :oops: Ever since I hook specks! Still trying to find best honey hole!with no one goes but snowshoes is my big helper!!!!!! 8) if you see snowshoe track that mine!! 8) 8) 8)