Need Your expertise

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
old guy
Participant
Participant

Need Your expertise

Post by old guy »

My kids just bought me a Shimano Calcutta 400 reel for fathers day. An impressive piece of engineering. Took it out and practiced at a local pond and spent most of my time unravelling over runs. However on the few casts that I did manage to make I was amazed at the distance I got. Very smooth on the retrieve. I have always fished with a spinning outfit. Apparently the kids had to take out a second mortgage to get the reel so I better learn how to use it. Advice please- Do I need a special rod to go along with the reel? Is there a so called standard rod - length or weight that would be useful for most fishing? Most of my target fish are trout and bass. I think once I get the knack of using it, I won't look back . Thanks
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

I gather your kids are no longer kids. There are many threads on this topic and I would think the best tip I can give is use 17 lb test and don’t try for distance. Yes 17 sounds heavy but it’s easier to learn with. Just concentrate on learning the feeling not the distance or accuracy.

Make sure to tell the kids you need a Loomis rod for Christmas. Actually I seam to remember that, that reel only works on a Loomis or St Croix rods. Ya that’s it. Tell your wife you just found out it will only work with a Loomis or St Croix rod.

P.S. Ed does mail order.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

You're probably best getting a medium action 6' 6" casting rod.. the rods you have now are probably spinning rods.

Xenos is right 17lb test will help you figure it out although be prepared for a few tangles until you get used to it... I used to use spinning gear most of the time and now I use casting gear for most of my fishing from the boat. I only now use spinning gear for carp and perhaps certain times like jigging etc....

Try to get used to your reel by running it tighter to start with.. you'll have less tangles but lose a little distance... gradually loosen it until you find the optimum setting.... For most lures this can be done by adjusting the tension until the lure can be lowered without the spool over running... I like to run it a little tighter than that as i'm no pro when it comes to casting but i think i'm improving...

Also try to avoid casting into the wind as that'll make it harder for you to master.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

First thing you should do is tighten the brakes a bit, this is done using the small knob in the middle of the reel on the oposite side of the handle. Turn it clockwise to tighten it, a standard rule of thumb is to test it by letting your lure fall on the ground and the spool should stop turning once it does, you need to ajust the brakes untill you do and I would suggest an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn and practice. Once you get better you can losen the brakes a bit at a time untill you find what your limit is for that weight of lure.

Have fun practicing, I am just about to switch all my reels to Shimanos and most will be 400s and I can't wait.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tape

Post by grumpy7790 »

Ok try this....throw out a good distance and then pull off a few more winds of line.

Then take electrical tape and put a piece over the spool covering the remaining line. This will prevent large bird's nests until you mastered the casting. The key is to thumb the spool as soon as the line hits the water.

Good luck,
G
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The Calcutta 400 is a Muskie sized reel, and should be paired up with a Muskie rod. As Xenos stated, my recommendation would be a Pc70mf St Croix, or a similar G Loomis. When you go to buy a rod, take the reel with you in case the retailer doesn't have that model in stock. I always like to have the customers reel on the rod he purchases so we can assess balance and "feel". This also gives an opportunity for a quick lesson for a first time baitcast user such as yourself.

Ed
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

overruns

Post by bass ackwards »

When you get an overrun/birdsnest tighten the drag put your thumb tightly on the spool and crank until all the line gets tightened up this while fix most overruns, dont forget to reset your drag afterwards.
good luck, I still hate those reels.
old guy
Participant
Participant

Post by old guy »

Many thanks for the tips and suggestions. You are right my kids are all grown and have their own kids but to me they will always be kids. Ok. 17 pound test for starters-mono -I assume rather than the braided stuff?Thanks for the info re the braking system. I like the idea of putting tape on the spool . This will certainly cut down my time picking out the over runs. No one suggested a Shimano rod - I would think that they would make one to match their calcutta reel. Whatever the case, I shall visit the local tackle shop in St Catharines and check out the Loomis and St Croix rods. Medium weight and around six and a half feet. Then its practice, practice and more practice. I must admit I can't wait to catch my first fish with the new rig.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

new rod for reel

Post by Jigs »

:oops:

DON'T E V E R CAST INTO THE WIND :lol:

REGARDS: Jigs. :wink: