Best Length for Steelhead Noodle rod?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Basshole
Participant
Participant

Best Length for Steelhead Noodle rod?

Post by Basshole »

What in your opinion is the best length Noodle rod for float fishing Trout?
Basshole
Participant
Participant

Any info will help...

Post by Basshole »

Someone must know something about noodle rods???
prefered length???
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Are you fishing with a centerpin or spinning reel? If your fishing with a spinning reel I would go with something around 10'6", if your fishing with a centerpin though I would go with something a little longer like a 13'6" (really depends on how big a water body you are fishing, some people fish with anything from 11'6" to 15')
Basshole
Participant
Participant

length

Post by Basshole »

It will be center pin...
Lake O contributaries... mostly steelies!!!
Thanks
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: length

Post by Out4trout »

Basshole wrote:It will be center pin...
Lake O contributaries... mostly steelies!!!
Thanks
Contributaries - I like that!! :)

Good luck with the steelhead - they sure are a blast. I use a 9' #8 fly rod, yep - for float fishing. I strip the line onto the ground and hand assist it up as the current pulls the line- not ideal but have landed some nice specks and steelhead on the tribs. Float is great for getting under the overhanging brush.

This year I will be hitting a few tribs around Colborne, one in particular :)

A Centerpin and dedicated noodle rod would be a delight to use - just not in the cards right now for me... cost reasons.

Have fun!
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

You would be suprised what you can get. Plenty of decent affordable float fishing gear out there. For example, Okuma makes 2 nice affordable centerpin reels, the Aventa and the Sheffield. Not a huge fan of their float rods though, the Aventa float rod lacks backbone, seen a few break. Raven also makes some affordable gear. Their Matrix centerpin reels are a great buy. They also have a Matrix float rod.

Now on the other hand if your looking at some higher end stuff, the sky is pretty much the limit. Quite a few custom centerpin reel makers out there. The top two production reels though in my mind are probably the Islander Steelheader and the relative newcomer from KW Engineering in England, the Kingpin. Customs wise, there's Milner, Sphar, Paine Falls, River Keeper... and the list goes on.

Float rod wise one of the fav on the market right now is prob the G Loomis IMX, Lamiglas also makes a few nice float rod as does Raven. Plenty of custom rod makes out there as well. Again the sky is pretty much the limit.
Basshole
Participant
Participant

Post by Basshole »

Is 13ft too long of a rod???
or will it be great for steelies???
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

13' is a pretty versatile lenght for steelhead. The longer rods are key for drift control. The longer rods help you keep the line off the water and stay in direct contact with the float which helps when setting the hook on a long drift. They also help to fight large fish on light line. The parabolic action helps to protect the tippet.
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

A 13 ft rod will do fine for most tribs. It may be a little long for some of the smaller brush infested runs. A two piece will offer you greater strength than the equivalent three piece rod; however, what you drive may also suggest what length you should purchase. Mitch
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

I got a 13 ft with a center pin collecting dust in the basement. Once you start using a rod at this length with 2-4lb leaders and make long drifts you will release why you need the extra length.

After using the 13 footer in the spring and than going fishing for eyes, pike or bass with the 6 - 7 footers makes these shorter rods feel reel short :lol:

Mike
Basshole
Participant
Participant

anything else I should know???

Post by Basshole »

first time at it... with a centerpin.... only ever flyfished...
any other helpful tips on noodle rods and lengths???
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

There's a dedicated site that includes a classified section - I'm betting you will find lots of help there... I believe it is mostly Ontario run...

http://www.floatfishing.net/floatboard/
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Here's a few more sites that I frequent that are worth checking out for float fishing info;

www.flyandfloatfishing.com
www.floatfishingconnection.com
www.questoutdoors.net
www.steelheadsite.com

I'm itchin to get out, my buddy was out on some NY tribs yesterday and put a hurting on them apparently...
bowboy33
Participant
Participant

Post by bowboy33 »

If your fishing with a C. pin you should'nt go shorter than 13 ft. As mentioned above, it depends where your fishing. If most of your fishing is in the "trench" at port hope or large open spaces, bigger is better up to 15 or 16 ft. If your fishing more up river in skinnier water with more trees, using a 15ft can get real tricky and down right frustrating. Longer is better if you can get away with it, as it assists in longer, smoother casting as well as acts as a better shock absorber, allowing you to get away with lower diameter line-which is frequently needed. If you decide to go with a longer rod and can afford it, it really pays off to spend the extra money. Because you'll be holding a rod thats 15ft if can put a hurt on your arm,wrist, shoulder etc. Paying the extra for better quality usually means lighter as well.
Good luck
Mark