How do I fix a broken rod tip?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

How do I fix a broken rod tip?

Post by Troller »

Hi Guys,
I have a broken end tip on my rod. It is a Shimano Compre. One of my sons stepped on it in my boat last fall and the rod broke about 2 inches from the end tip. I want to take a shot at repairing this rod myself. I have the tip that is still on the small broken piece of the rod. Question is does anyone stock rod tips in the Ottawa west area? Can anyone guide me in replacing the tip? With only about 2 inches gone off the end of the rod the rod is still very useful.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

Hey Dave, you should have bought a Fenwick :D

And what were the kids doing in the boat instead of me?????

B.
HereMyGo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HereMyGo »

Don't quote me on this, but I believe you might even be able to find metal rod tips at CT.

As far as I know they would just slip on the end. I'm sure some form of adhesive would be needed, but it would probably work. My only question would surround the diameter of the new tip in relation to width of the rod that is broken as you would want as snug of a fit as possible.

Just my thoughts.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

I asked this question last summer and a few people recommended Reel to Reel plus. I still haven't gotten around to dropping off my rod to them. :oops:

Reel to Reel plus
7547 Flewellyn Rd.
Stittsville, Ontario
Ph#...613-831-1521
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Try heating up the rodtip on the broken piece with a hairdryer it could soften up the glue enough for you to take the rodtip off. Then you could try to open it up a bit then glue it back on.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Assumeing the tip itself is still good , using a Bic lighter heat and remove the tip , buff up the rod a little bit and see if the tip will fit over the rod I find that a glue gun works the best ,Apply glue and push on tip ... 8)

P.S .......krazy glue won't hold for more than a week
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

jwhite wrote:I asked this question last summer and a few people recommended Reel to Reel plus. I still haven't gotten around to dropping off my rod to them. :oops:

No use driving all the way out there ,, just drop them off at my place and i'll bring them out for ya.........I'm heading there next week to pick up my reels.......... :) :)
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Yes, Steve at reel to reel does great work.

If it's a rod tip you can buy the rod tip and do it yourself with a hot glue gun.

I took 2 of my loomis rods in to Steve to fix 4 broken ceramics, they have to replace the whole eyelet. I wouldn't ry this at home.

Work was good and cost was cheap(compared to a new rod) I would recommend them.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

If you DIY, I would recommend getting some epoxy as it's a heck of a lot stronger --> you wouldn't want the new tip to come off while fighting the fish of your life.

Epoxy is cheap ($6/tube for the 2-part stuff) and will be useful for all kinds of other applications as well so its not just a one-shot deal.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Yes 5 min epoxy is also usable , is more stable and will still melt with a flame if you need to replace the tip down the road.

I have never had a tip come off with the GGun but I have had them turn on me when stored in a hot car for the day (not while fishing) , turn them back and they are good to go.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rod tip repair

Post by Joey Rat »

Lots of good advice and since you are in Kanata Reel to Reel is a good option.

Another would be Manotick Bait. I dropped the rod locker lid on the tip of one of my rods and had it repaired in about 5 minutes for free, although I was making some other purchases.

It's my favourite 5'10' :oops: target rod.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

send it back to shimano and get a new one.
Carmine
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmine »

all of shimanos rod have a life time warrenty just tell them a big fish broke your rod and that ur dissappointed cuz it got away too
bigpikemike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bigpikemike »

i tried that but i had to send to montreal and pay for packaging and shipping...cuz i need 3 tips fixed too
Big Pike Mike always reels them in!