Blackdonald question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Blackdonald question

Post by Hookup »

I have a family cottage on Blackdonald... Ok, my GF does, not me... so I've been fishing it semi-regularly for the past 3 years... I've got some spots figured out, but all of them in the extreme North-East bays of the lake...

I've been told that the walleye & SMB all take off through Centenial Lake and up into the river-system during the spawn, so there is no point fishing for either until mid July...

Can anyone confirm?

PS: Anyone willing to share hot spots on that lake PM me.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I've only scubadived BlackDonald, but if you can cast a flippin jig beside that sunken log I saw and if the big bass is still there you'll have a good fight on your hand. Biggest bass I've ever seen. But don't ask where that log is cause it's been 15 years.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Awesome! Doesn't matter, i'll find it... and 15yrs later.. bet she's FRIGG"n 12+ lbs now!!! awesome.. thanks! :lol: :lol:
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Blackdonald question

Post by Bear »

Hookup wrote:
I've been told that the walleye & SMB all take off through Centenial Lake and up into the river-system during the spawn, so there is no point fishing for either until mid July...

Can anyone confirm?

PS: Anyone willing to share hot spots on that lake PM me.
Sorry, cant confirm but seeing the next Saturday ORWL competition is on Centenial in July I hope they are easy to find :P :P
bananaboat
Participant
Participant

Post by bananaboat »

I'm also a Black Donald cottager and my experience is that the walleye do mainly head upriver to spawn, although I think there must be a few creek and shoal spawners because there's always a few around in early June and the numbers increase throughout the month.

Smallmouth spawn on just about all the shoals and gravel shorelines in BD. They will be especially vulnerable this year due to low and cool water conditions. I had to make some adjustments to my boat lift last weekend and was heartily attacked by a papa bass coming off a bed about three feet away. I will concentrate on walleye for the next couple of weeks since I suspect that the bass spawn will continue for at least another week.
rugger
Participant
Participant

Fishin BD

Post by rugger »

Fished BD last Sunday and caught 3 walleye within 15min (and no it wasn't the same fish) just to the left of BD Trailer Park (Stubinsky's) towards the rock damn. Unfortunately they were all too small so had to release them. Had a great time!!