My outdoor card expired, can I use my QC licese to fish?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

My outdoor card expired, can I use my QC licese to fish?

Post by Doeun_k »

I was wondering ,

My outdoor card expired and was wondering if i can use my QC license to fish a petrie island because it is part off the ottawa river?
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Fishing License

Post by Bait&Fate »

My understanding is: Shared waterway / provincial border recognises the license of adjacent provinces provided both provinces have the same license. For example you cannot use an Ontario conservation license on the Quebec side of the Ottawa because Quebec does not have the same license. So long as you have a full Ontario fishing license you are good to go. By the same token a legitimate Quebec license gives you the right to fish on the Ottawa.

That's my understanding of the rules ..

:wink:
Last edited by Bait&Fate on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Guys

I think you have to follow the regulations of the licence. i.e. an ontario licence on the quebec side may only use two lines as oppossed to the 5 lines for a quebec licence. Ice fishing of course.

Steve
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Post by Bait&Fate »

steve2112 wrote:Hi Guys

I think you have to follow the regulations of the licence. i.e. an ontario licence on the quebec side may only use two lines as oppossed to the 5 lines for a quebec licence. Ice fishing of course.

Steve
Agreed .. :)
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

This has been ironed out many times before.

The Ottawa river rules are either license Que/Ont is okay (except you cannot fish the Quebec side with a Conservation License)

You follow the rules depending on the side you fish on.

Fish the Quebec side -----Quebec Rules.

Fish Ontario side -------Ontario rules.

So the answer is if you fish on the quebec side of the river with an Ontario licnese you can have 5 lines in the water during the winter.

And also it doesn't matter what side of the river you access the river from. Ie. You can get on the ice in Wendover ont. and cross over to the Quebec side on the river and follow the Quebec rules.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Post by Bait&Fate »

Wallyboss wrote:This has been ironed out many times before.

The Ottawa river rules are either license Que/Ont is okay (except you cannot fish the Quebec side with a Conservation License)

You follow the rules depending on the side you fish on.

Fish the Quebec side -----Quebec Rules.

Fish Ontario side -------Ontario rules.

So the answer is if you fish on the quebec side of the river with an Ontario licnese you can have 5 lines in the water during the winter.

And also it doesn't matter what side of the river you access the river from. Ie. You can get on the ice in Wendover ont. and cross over to the Quebec side on the river and follow the Quebec rules.
Thanks for the clarification but to answer the original question ... A expired ontario outdoors card is neither here nor there so long as one has a valid fishing licence for Ontario or Quebec for the current year .. right? And as you correctly point out relative provincial licence rules apply to whichever side of the border you fish. Or do you need a current outdoors card for Ontario being a resident of Ontario? I was under the impression you didn't need an outdoors card to obtain a fishing licence for Ontario unless you plan to hunt small game and of course deer etc. also .... :)
Last edited by Bait&Fate on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishwhisperer
Participant
Participant

Post by fishwhisperer »

Yeah they say no lies, this is from the MNR, you can fish the Ottawa River with a Quebec license..

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65335.html
Licences for Provincial Waters

Straight from the governments mouth..
Also covers all the Ontario-Manitoba Boundary waters.
hope the sites helpful.
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

Thanks everyone,

I guess i know what im doing tommrow, I do have my hunting license but i am too broke to afford it because my tutions are due on jan 31st but i still have my valid QC license..............So im going to try petrie tommrow....

Chen K
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

F&C wrote: Thanks for the clarification but to answer the original question ... An expired ontario outdoors card is neither here nor there so long as one has a valid fishing licence for Ontario or Quebec for the current year .. right? And as you correctly point out relative licence rules apply to which side of the border you fish. Or do you need a current outdoors card for Ontario being a resident of Ontario? I was under the impression you didn't need an outdoors card to obtain a fishing licence for Ontario unless you plan to hunt small game and of course deer etc. also .... :)
Fast Facts about Ontario Outdoors Cards and Fishing Licences...

A licence to fish in Ontario consists of an Outdoors Card plus a fishing licence tag (either affixed to the card or accompanying the card).
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 64832.html

For Ontario residents, a complete and valid licence to fish consists of:
* an Outdoors Card plus a valid fishing licence tag

OR
* an Ontario Resident Temporary Fishing Licence and Outdoors Card and Application.
An Outdoors Card alone is NOT a fishing licence.
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65301.html
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Post by Bait&Fate »

fiiish wrote:
F&C wrote: Thanks for the clarification but to answer the original question ... An expired ontario outdoors card is neither here nor there so long as one has a valid fishing licence for Ontario or Quebec for the current year .. right? And as you correctly point out relative licence rules apply to which side of the border you fish. Or do you need a current outdoors card for Ontario being a resident of Ontario? I was under the impression you didn't need an outdoors card to obtain a fishing licence for Ontario unless you plan to hunt small game and of course deer etc. also .... :)
Fast Facts about Ontario Outdoors Cards and Fishing Licences...

A licence to fish in Ontario consists of an Outdoors Card plus a fishing licence tag (either affixed to the card or accompanying the card).
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 64832.html

For Ontario residents, a complete and valid licence to fish consists of:
* an Outdoors Card plus a valid fishing licence tag

OR
* an Ontario Resident Temporary Fishing Licence and Outdoors Card and Application.
An Outdoors Card alone is NOT a fishing licence.
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65301.html
Well I conceed and stand corrected ... So "Joe Blow" or "Jane Doe" of Ontario requires a outdoors card in addition to a fishing licence to legaly enjoy the recreation of fishing of specified species. ....... Struth. Another reason to flee this province. No wonder my wallet is getting fatter .. And it isn't because of the money in it!!! It's because of all the bloody licenses and cards I am required to have to be legal ........ :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Math wise: The amount of money you have in your wallet is inversely proportional to the licences /cards you are required to have!! :cry: :cry:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

You need a Quebec resident license to be able to fish the Ottawa, not a Quebec Non-resident license. So if you are an Ontario resident and you do not have an Ontario fishing license you cannot use your Que. Non-resident fishing license.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Wallyboss wrote:You need a Quebec resident license to be able to fish the Ottawa, not a Quebec Non-resident license. So if you are an Ontario resident and you do not have an Ontario fishing license you cannot use your Que. Non-resident fishing license.
I'm pretty sure that this is a typographical oversight in the Ontario regs as it would prohibit non-residents (i.e. Americans, etc) from fishing on the Ottawa, which is clearly not their intention. If anyone has questions regarding regulations that do not seem to make much sense, a simple call/email to the MNR is all it takes to clear things up.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

Todd B. wrote:
Wallyboss wrote:You need a Quebec resident license to be able to fish the Ottawa, not a Quebec Non-resident license. So if you are an Ontario resident and you do not have an Ontario fishing license you cannot use your Que. Non-resident fishing license.
I'm pretty sure that this is a typographical oversight in the Ontario regs as it would prohibit non-residents (i.e. Americans, etc) from fishing on the Ottawa, which is clearly not their intention. If anyone has questions regarding regulations that do not seem to make much sense, a simple call/email to the MNR is all it takes to clear things up.
I've always waited an hour on hold everytime I've called the MNR :roll: so I'm posting before calling...

Are you quite sure about this being an oversight? Reason being that I stupidly let my card expire and it takes a few weeks for it be delivered but I do have a Quebec Non-resident's license and would like to fish the Ottawa before then.

Ottawa Police (not MNR) have been checking licenses down at Petrie this week (buddy fined $165) and I'm not too confident in their knowledge of this matter; they might not accept a Quebec license.
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

Man....TOO MANY LAWS......
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

license

Post by boogie »

My buddy is a CO and tells me that you NEED an Ontario resident license if you're from Ontario to fish, the non resident from Quebec will get you a fine.
Boogie
Poisson On !