My outdoor card expired, can I use my QC licese to fish?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Why not just call the MNR and ask them as opposed to everyones SWAG?
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Wallyboss wrote:You need a Quebec resident license to be able to fish the Ottawa, not a Quebec Non-resident license. So if you are an Ontario resident and you do not have an Ontario fishing license you cannot use your Que. Non-resident fishing license.
Wallyboss is correct.
Todd B. wrote: I'm pretty sure that this is a typographical oversight in the Ontario regs as it would prohibit non-residents (i.e. Americans, etc) from fishing on the Ottawa, which is clearly not their intention. If anyone has questions regarding regulations that do not seem to make much sense, a simple call/email to the MNR is all it takes to clear things up.
The cross border agreement for the Ottawa River applies only to Quebec & Ontario residents. Anyone other than a Quebec or Ontario resident requires a valid licence issued for the province they are fishing in.
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

The_Captain! wrote: Are you quite sure about this being an oversight? Reason being that I stupidly let my card expire and it takes a few weeks for it be delivered but I do have a Quebec Non-resident's license and would like to fish the Ottawa before then.
Ottawa Police (not MNR) have been checking licenses down at Petrie this week (buddy fined $165) and I'm not too confident in their knowledge of this matter; they might not accept a Quebec license.
No need to wait for your card to be delivered. When you purchase the new card & licence you will receive some form of temporary licence which is valid until your card arrives.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

I simply eliminate any confusion by retaining both licences.
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

get both

Post by Big Jim »

You hit the nail on the head SLOP Dude, this discussion has raged on for well over 25 years now(if not more) and ever time it surfaces it seems to have a few new angles... :?

Thank God for the internet :wink: :roll:

There always seems to be to much confusion around what the law exactly is...I requested written confirmation in 1988 I believe from the Quebec MNR for a big "OV PRO BASS" event on the Ottawa River and I am still waiting for it after being told it was in the mail....no e-mail back then.

Get both and you'll never need to worry.

BIG JIM :D 8)
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

MLR wrote:Why not just call the MNR and ask them as opposed to everyones SWAG?
Because they don't answer the phone. That's why. I did call too... over and over and over and over and over and couldn't get through. Happens everytime I try to call.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

The_Captain! wrote:
Because they don't answer the phone. That's why. I did call too... over and over and over and over and over and couldn't get through. Happens everytime I try to call.
Your going about it all wrong. If they don't answer, you go up the food chain, call your provincial MP, complain, they need to know where service lacks.

I had to get an answer on a misprint in the regs, no answer for a week, called queens park, left some messages, the next morning they called me back to answer my questions.

But don't complain about the complex regs, McGuinty will just ban fishing.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

The_Captain! wrote:
Maybe I am just lucky and they answer the phone when ever I have called. They also answer emails too, never the same day but they do reply.

The point I was trying to make, is that its better to ask the regulatory body and get their view than trying to justify our actions when confronted by a conservation officer. Cause I don't believe they will accept "I read it on Fish-Hawk.Net" as a reasonable explanation for violating the fish and game act.
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

MLR

Post by Big Jim »

Mr. MLR... :D :D 8) :wink: you rock...so does SLOP by the looks of his picture... 8)

LARGE