How would you feel

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

cprince wrote:...Or the Balloonists that land at least twice a year in one of our pastures?
Traditionally, the pilot is supposed to give you a bottle of champagne when that happens... or at least share it with you. ;)

Sorry. Continue with the subject folks. :)
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

SO, I can kinda see their point about "disrespect vis-svis docks" or whatever. IF it's true that is. How big of a problem do you guys think the disrespect thing is? Just asking is all. And is there anything we can do about that. Like a fine if the tourney cops see you littering or beaking off to a cottager.

I think I saw another thread somewhere about the landowner issue so I don't wanna get sidetracked. But if putting in some common sense penalties for littering or beaking off (like when its not required or something) can keep them our backs maybe its a good thing . . . . .
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

I don't know of any tourny angler who would ever litter. I like to think that MOST people are better than that these days. Disputes between cottagers and fishermen always get started by the cottager. They do not like the idea of people fishing around their dock maybe afraid that a boat will get damaged etc.... others just think they own it and nobody should be allowed to come around it. I can understand the concern for them about their boats if a guy is tossing a jig around its edges. Speaking for myself, I make certain that I never come in contact with anyones property and take great care around boats, seadoo's etc. I am sure everyone else does as well. Have NEVER heard of anyones boat being damaged by a tournament fisherman. Others who don't believe we should be allowed anywhere around their dock have to do some research about what they actually own. Legally, if a person wanted, they could set a lawn chair right on the dock and fish off of it. People do NOT own the water or any property that is in or submerged in it. Anyways, it all comes down to respect for people I guess. I like to think the vast majority have it. There are always a few that give it a bad name. This goes for anything, not just fishing. Regardless of what Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority thinks, I don't believe they have any say in the matter anyways, would it not be up to the province and MNR to implement any rules as far as fishing goes? I think what this really smells like is that they see people making money off of something and people having fun and they need a piece of the pie somehow. That is how things usually work.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I hate over governing as much as the next guy as we all know our governments can barely do anything right.

But with that been said there needs to be a way to limit some of these tourneys. Some water bodies have not only tourneys on every weekend but sometimes more then one.

There has to be a balance in there between the right of the tournament anglers as well as land owners.

As a new waterfront land owner I am looking forward to the peace and quiet and not the traffic. But in no way do I think land owners need to profit from tourneys. I think moneys should be put back into the fisheires these tourneys are using.

BTW anyone can fish my >320 feet all they want as long as they don't hit my boat or use foul language.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I'm not sure where all this landowner compenstaion is coming from. I never once said landowners should be paid.

What I said was:

1) Increase traffic, noise on the water bodies.
2) Potential (note POTENTIAL) for increased pollution on the water.
3) Pressure on the fisheries from being angled to death every and any weekend.

Now obviously an organization like Renegade is a lot different than say Baitcasters derbies. In Renegade everyone has been doing this for a while, experienced, have a code of conduct etc. There are clear rules.

Bait Store derbies only ever say MNR rules....which is only catch and release using a sufficient live well. Even then mortality rates are not fully known. Every one and their uncle can go into one of these. Don't tell me they are on par with knowledge and respect of a club or pro angler. Its NOT the same. They just see $$$.

For the record I am only repeating something I HEARD. Not that which is my personal desire.

But I think lakes like the Mississippi get RAPED with all these tourneys, gatherings, derbies etc. Not to mention 3 campgrounds and all the cottagers. I think (and this is just me) that the fishery will collapse very soon if something is not done.

As for the landowners. No they do not OWN the lake....but they DO live on it. Trust me is someone were racing THEIR car in front of your house and you called the cops...they would do something about it.

Throwing a derby, open to all so long as they pay a fee, invites all kinds of unknowns into the fray. Who's accountable?Who's insurance covers this?What consideration does it show for the people on the lake?

I have seen some nice anglers on the Miss over the years and I have seen the opposite. When I broke down 2 years ago during a local derby...I was in plain sight of 3 bass boats with one 200 yrds away.

Would they Help? Not a chance! $500 is more important to some of these guys than a fellow persons safety.Its that kind of attitude that proves that some of these people do not care about the lake or the fish etc....just the cash.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jimmy from the Harley wrote: As for the landowners. No they do not OWN the lake....but they DO live on it. Trust me is someone were racing THEIR car in front of your house and you called the cops...they would do something about it.
Yes. One is illegal. One is not.

I just went thru the list for this season in the area. What I consider to be a "tournament" is 40 plus boats. If that's the case the Miss which I do agree is the busiest of the local lakes will see 4 events this year. The Renegade ProAm, 2 SEBO's and Bassin for Bucks. That's not too bad really. I don't consider a club event with 8 to 10 boats to have any more impact on the lake than regular weekend fishing.

I can only speak for myself and what I've seen with Renegade but here's an idea on what I spent going into one weekends event on Mississippi Lake last year. I pre-fished 7 times....that means 7 boat launch fees, 7-10 trips to Tim Horton's, 2 trips to Baitcasters, 2 trips to Harvey's.. :lol:, and 7 trips to the gas station. And that's just me. Times 80 plus boats. That's a whole lotta $$$$.

As far as the fishery being affected. All I can say is between my partners boat and mine in 7 days of practice we caught and released nearly 200 bass. I was kinda shocked to be honest as I am not a big fan of the lake. Now we certainly aren't a top ranked team in the Series so we remarked on how many fish were likely caught during that week. Come tournament day we boated I believe 18 fish. Weighed in a decent bag at 14.88. Everyone at the weigh in remarked on how high the weights were compared to the past. Despite the lake being busy, it clearly can handle it and still be a great lake to fish!

Not sure where the litter concern comes from. That makes no sense.

As far as docks go, if people are out front of their cottage we always ask if they are ok with it. If noone is around....we are very careful and respectful of their property. That's common sense.

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I'll say it again....

I just threw out what I heard and wanted opinion.

Obviously it is very good for a community's economy.

But like I said. SEBO,BAOO,RENEGADE anglers are much different than someone with a boat in an 8-10 boat derby.....would you not agree?

Where does litter come from? People NOT using trash cans at launches, chucking things over the side of the boat, the guy (not like you and I RJ) who fishes a dock no matter if the landowner is adverse to it.

Its just food for thought. With the increase in people fishing (the industry is going through a boom) there are more and more people fishing.

Not everyone is respectful.

Most landowners have no issues with boats or fishing.
Prairieboy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Prairieboy »

Purchase a cottage 30 minutes from a million people and guess what... your gonna have a little boat traffic. Purchase a cottage in Northern Quebec... not so much. No tourneys on Miss this past weekend but we counted over 25 boats.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Prairieboy wrote:Purchase a cottage 30 minutes from a million people and guess what... your gonna have a little boat traffic. Purchase a cottage in Northern Quebec... not so much. No tourneys on Miss this past weekend but we counted over 25 boats.
Yep and I was most likely one of those boats.

Yep, with the monstrous homes going up on the Miss and the 4 line hwy going in there will be a WHACK more boat traffic in coming years.

Then all the other lakes in the area will start getting hit and so on.

Nobody seems to get the point or want to look at how stellar they are or their buddies are.

Guessing that the same people who leave cigarette packs, beer bottles, styrofoam cups along the shores are also the same folks that don't fish from boats....

Hmmmmmm......

Let me ask this. How many folks on here would HONESTLY stop fishing a lake for a particular species knowing the stock was reduced????

I mean HONEST.

Not I went out once, not I caught one....but who would stop???
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jimmy from the Harley wrote:
But like I said. SEBO,BAOO,RENEGADE anglers are much different than someone with a boat in an 8-10 boat derby.....would you not agree?
No I don't agree.....just because you fish one of those series doesnt mean you are perfect...or does it mean someone who fishes smaller events are jackasses.....

Unsure on where you are going with this Jimmy....you want to shutdown the smaller events as there are too many of them?....good luck....I do quite a few of these every fall....and its nothing more than getting guys together for a fun day on the water with a little kettle of cash at days end to someone.....not sure how anyone is ever going to be able to monitor or stop that from going on.......

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:
No I don't agree.....just because you fish one of those series doesnt mean you are perfect...or does it mean someone who fishes smaller events are jackasses.....

Unsure on where you are going with this Jimmy....you want to shutdown the smaller events as there are too many of them?....good luck....I do quite a few of these every fall....and its nothing more than getting guys together for a fun day on the water with a little kettle of cash at days end to someone.....not sure how anyone is ever going to be able to monitor or stop that from going on.......

RJ
Nope...not trying ZILCH....read my above post. I PARTAKE IN THEM TOO!

My point is, as I heard, and as a courtesy. I posted to say there is debate about this kind of thing amongst the conservation authorities, MNR and OPP. In future they may be banned, subject to fines, subject to pre-approval etc.

How do you feel about that was the subject of the thread and its intention.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

How'd you do?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:
How'd you do?
Horrible actually! I caught pike, rock bass and a few OOS smallies but could not muster up any walleye.

I had fun, which is all that matters
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

I fish almost every SEBO tournament as well as bassin for bucks and a few others. As far as insurance goes, in the SEBO series you have to sign a waiver and have insurance coverage with your policy number on the waiver form. A lot of the Renegade guys fish the Sebo events as well and just because it is a smaller series does not mean that the fisherman are any less compitent. The same goes for any tournament. As far as the tournament fishermen not helping when you are broken down is becasue it means instant disqualification if you are in contact with another boater in the water. This is to control anyone who might try to cheat. If you had of been in any danger or an emergency situation, they would have resued you in a heartbeat.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

smokercraft wrote:I fish almost every SEBO tournament as well as bassin for bucks and a few others. As far as insurance goes, in the SEBO series you have to sign a waiver and have insurance coverage with your policy number on the waiver form. A lot of the Renegade guys fish the Sebo events as well and just because it is a smaller series does not mean that the fisherman are any less compitent. The same goes for any tournament. As far as the tournament fishermen not helping when you are broken down is becasue it means instant disqualification if you are in contact with another boater in the water. This is to control anyone who might try to cheat. If you had of been in any danger or an emergency situation, they would have resued you in a heartbeat.
Really? So when your outboard is on fire that isn't an emergency?
It was Bassin For Bucks also. So no no disqualification.