pleasure craft operator card

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bassman3840
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman3840 »

how many hawkers were aware that if you wish to rent a pleasure craft you donot requirer a operator card.i was told the main reason for the card was to make the water safer.this law for renters sure as hell does not make the water safer.now i know it was just a money grab
Dutchydr
Participant
Participant

Post by Dutchydr »

Even better is the "safety checklist" you must perform if you are renting and dont have the boaters card. The forms can be found at boaterexam.ca and are nothing more than a checklist and signatures from the renter and the rentee. The form does not require any contact info, only signatures..so in theory one friend could rent his boat to another circumventing the boaters card and the "safety" that it brings to our waters.

Like you said, just another government money grab.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

Did anybody see that interview with the MNR guy? Apparently they can fine you the full extent of the law even if your caught floating around on an inflatable mattress in front of a swimming beach without the operators card!
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Dutchydr wrote:
Like you said, just another government money grab.
Now you got it... Something like the gun card fiasco...

Billy Bones :evil:
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

the full extent of the law=$250 fine :lol:
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I think that card is useless. I've been doing the address change thing for a while now that I'm moving in 3 weeks and when I checked my card the number on it wasn't any good anymore. I researched the company and it seams like an electric boat sales company with no mention of licenses.

Now am I going to have to do the 3 weeks shuffle of government numbers to try and find out where to change my address or which I believe I don't even have too as it's most likely not registered anywhere.

As far as cash grab, they were giving those test away for $20 and if you did it online they gave you a $10 card, just how much of that actually made it to the government? I think it's more of a work creation project for good looking girls. ;)
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PerchPredator »

Trophymuskie wrote:I think it's more of a work creation project for good looking girls. ;)
Perhaps I'll create my own useless card :D
From now on everyone needs to have my enclosed water safety card to swin in a pool.
I will be accepting good looking girl applications immediately.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Crunchy wrote:Did anybody see that interview with the MNR guy? Apparently they can fine you the full extent of the law even if your caught floating around on an inflatable mattress in front of a swimming beach without the operators card!
What?? Wow. I thought if the boat was motorized in any way then you would need it including a trolling motor. Well I would love to see the MNR give me a ticket for being on one of those. They will need to give me one for being rude, vulgar and ashamed to be a part of this experiment!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Maybe everyone should leave their cards at home, get charged and challenge it in court, taking up hundreds of hours of court time, clog the system.

Was the boaters card money grab system not enough for the Transport Canada, that now the treasurer of ontario now needs to collect more money?
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I was at a show this winter and I was approached by a young lady in front of their display. She gave me the sales pitch which I thought odd....why are they selling this thing.... I thought it was mandatory?

I told her I didn't have the time to do it right then and there and wouldn't I have to study something anyway? An older woman overheard me and came over and said " just pay the fee and I'll give me the card without doing the test."

What kind of farce is this?
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I've been trying to call the 613 number behing my card for 1 year leaving them messages as they screwed up my DOB on the card. They never got back to me and I don't think they ever will ! :twisted:
|Dore|
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Crunchy wrote:Did anybody see that interview with the MNR guy? Apparently they can fine you the full extent of the law even if your caught floating around on an inflatable mattress in front of a swimming beach without the operators card!
Funny the MNR guy said that as on the Transport Canada website:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... or-360.htm

It states the following:

The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times.

It would be pretty hard to fit a motor to a floating mattress.
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

My bad....it was the safety items you need in your boat, not the card. I mixed up 2 stories. But apparently you may need to have a safety kit when on an air mattress:

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/20 ... 44361.html
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

If they strictly enforce that, its going to be one brutal summer for people just floating around. Play it safe, don't paddle, just float! :shock:
bassman3840
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman3840 »

yesterday i called the toll free number on the back of our card 1-877-682-6773 to ask them some questions concerning renting a boat & not requiring a pleasure craft operator card. as soon as i asked the question they said oh you should call the ministry of transporation. which i did. i got this person who i couldnt make out & all he would say is check the internet there are 3 options.i am going to try again tomorrow & i hope i have better luck. By the way does anyone have the phone number of bob izumi he seem to be the main spokesman for card & not once did i ever here him say there are certain exceptions to this law