pleasure craft operator card

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

RENT!!! THats the ticket!

I will say that I rented my boat from my wife for 1$ a year and they can stick their cracker jack card up their Hershey Highway.

End of story!

Craig
Dutchydr
Participant
Participant

Post by Dutchydr »

cprince wrote:RENT!!! THats the ticket!

I will say that I rented my boat from my wife for 1$ a year and they can stick their cracker jack card up their Hershey Highway.

End of story!

Craig
Quoted for truth.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

When I was in College, apart of our course was taking the Pleasure Craft Operator course. We did it through the Life saving society.

Our course involved both in class theory, and in the field. We had to drive the boat through an obstacle course, practiser proper right of way techniques, and even drive the boat backwards through an obstacle course!!

Lucky me, I do not have to dish out 50 bucks for a mcdonald's McBoater Licence!
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

For questions related to the operator card(locally in Ottawa) call the Ontario Provincial Police Marine Unit and specifically ask for Scott DeJames.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

There are loopholes to the whole safety-kit issue. IF you read the fine print, if you are for example in a kayak with no safety kit and are questioned, it is enough to say that you are training for a rowing compeition and this way you are not required to have a kit.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

This should get everyone's panties all bunched up, I know it does mine. Our american neighbors who own a lot of cottages etc in Ontario don't need the useless card. How would any OPP officer or Conservation officer know what day they launched their boat, and even then track them boating for 45 days straight.

As quoted from transport canada's website

** Applies to non-residents operating their pleasure craft in Canadian waters after 44 consecutive days. Operator card or equivalent issued to a non-resident by their state or country will be considered as proof of competency.
Rideau-snag
Participant
Participant

Post by Rideau-snag »

Ya guys their changing this in the next year, as of now if your waiting for your old license and think it not coming because it has been awhile, it will come soon but is delayed because the exam has changed from 30-50 questions and the new exam is all about the oceans. Well what im trying to say is the government is finally starting to notice the problems and will be changing them soon.

Adam
\\//~\\//~\\//~\\//
Pro-Staff
Manotick Bait Fishing and Hunting
All your fishing Needs
//\\~ //\\~ //\\~ //\\
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Hollywood wrote:There are loopholes to the whole safety-kit issue. IF you read the fine print, if you are for example in a kayak with no safety kit and are questioned, it is enough to say that you are training for a rowing compeition and this way you are not required to have a kit.
This statement is completely false.
Anyone trying this would quickly earn a fine.
There are stipulations that have to be met for a competition vessel to be allowed to not carry the required safety equipment. Things such as a safety craft carrying lifejackets or training at the events venue(provincial, national or international competition) or under formal training(under coach or official certified by a governing body).
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

cprince wrote:RENT!!! THats the ticket!

End of story!

Craig
Also a quick way to earn a fine or two.
A rental boat checklist only applies to a boat rented from a business that rents boat. (ie: marina or cottage resort ect.)
BTW if someone is operating your boat without a proof of competency not only can the operator be charged but also the boats owner.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Bottom Line is the Pleasure Craft Operators Card is BS....always has been BS and always be BS.

Until there is a formal testing procedure such as that for cars and motorcycles its a joke.

Too many people have paid $45, had all the questions answered save 2 or 3 and been given their card.

Its a friggin Liberal invented cash scheme that is sooooo lucrative even Harper won't get rid of it.

I would seriously NOT doubt it if (heaven FORBID) McGuinty get re-elected he'll instigate a provincial license for Ontario...

Anything to make $$$$ and not be seen raising taxes.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

MLR wrote:This should get everyone's panties all bunched up, I know it does mine. Our american neighbors who own a lot of cottages etc in Ontario don't need the useless card. How would any OPP officer or Conservation officer know what day they launched their boat, and even then track them boating for 45 days straight.

As quoted from transport canada's website

** Applies to non-residents operating their pleasure craft in Canadian waters after 44 consecutive days. Operator card or equivalent issued to a non-resident by their state or country will be considered as proof of competency.
Actually the boat has only to be in Canada for more than 44 days before proof of competency is required. Whether it is used or not plays no part of the law. Americans owning a cottage in Canada & leaving their boat here are not exempt. Also if they are not the registered owner they are also not exempt.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

another thing that they have changed is now when you register a boat, it is only good for 10 yrs. not for as long as you own it, as before. one thing though, if you are like me, i have never owned the same boat for more than that.