Lake Clear (Eganville) fishing question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

My friends had a trailer up there for years. They caught walleye to the right of Opeongo. If you go to the office there, they have a map of the lake, and the owner will show you some spots to fish. I have caught some decent pike in there. I remeber camping at Opeongo, and we had a few drinks in us. :lol: , and we were on the beach at 2 AM. Well, there were guys heading out fishing. Crazy.
Didn't know about the oil spraying. Pretty common thing though in the 70's. I do know they did stock the lake for years with walleye.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

that used oil you are talking about is more commonly known as PCB's
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Yup, PCB is what the fish were tested for.
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeman »

I also camped at Opeongo for a couple years about 30 years ago. The pike fishing was awsome especially around Cherry island. I was not un common to pull out 30". I was there last year and was speaking with the owner of Opeongo and he did confirm that the pike fishing has been depleted so much since the stocking of walleye.

As for the roads, I can confirm that they used to spray that road with the oil. It was pretty bad. It was all over the place.

Pikeman
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

I would forget about the pike/walleye.

Do yourself a favor and Target the Smallies.They are incredible in this lake. Typically fishing a wacky rog we would get them along with the occasional Walleye.

Be sure to fish the first deep water break coming out from Opeongo.

Good luck

Ron
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

And when the bite is "on" keep your head up out there in front of Opeongo Resort, it will be as busy as a Walmart parking lot.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

as far as im concerned there is always too much traffic there. the lake is too big to fish a couple hundred yards from the launch. unless you are in a paddle boat.
fishtracker
Participant
Participant

Thank you

Post by fishtracker »

Thank you to everyone who contributed. I will be sure to try all the techniques you guys suggested. Hopefully I can catch at least one good eating sized walleye this time out. :lol:

Sincerely,

fishtracker