Any tips for fishing in Iqaluit, Nu?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
digitalchef
Participant
Participant

Any tips for fishing in Iqaluit, Nu?

Post by digitalchef »

yeah..yeah...drill a hole in the ice....i get it...

for real...anyone done any fishing up there?
moving for a year in about a week and am looking forward to possibly some char and greyling!
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

I lived on the dew line at Hall Beach (now called Atturmiut) for a couple years back in the 80's, Hall beach is just north of iqualuit a couple hundred KM.

I dont know if Grayling are that far north... I doubt it, Ive only caught greyling in the Arctic Ocean watershed "mainland" as far south as Cree Lake Saskatchewan, Iqualuit is on the border of the the Hudson watershed but all waters lead to the arctic ocean, I'd be surprised if there are greyling there.... what you will find though is Arctic Char and likely some lake trout.

They hit ANYTHING up there, Lake trout I read somewhere take 2 years to grow 1 pound due to extremely cold water.

I think they feed mostly on fresh water shrimp and mosquitos. The lake trout I caught (and ate) had the bellies full of mosquitos.

I used a len thompson 5 diamonds and at EVERY cast from shore I had either a hit or a fish :)

BTW...I have vivid dreams of finding a road that leads me to my old fishing grounds in the high Arctic ... then I wake up upset that it isnt true :lol:
Last edited by plncrzy on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

The only tips I can offer are to BRING A CAMERA and POST HERE OFTEN, please!

GG
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

We lived in yellowknife in the 80's and my dad fished char often, through charters, out of yellowknife to a place called tree rivers. I'll ask him for more info if you want
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

bring a jacket