Looking for fishing destination for walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Matt Bass
Participant
Participant

Looking for fishing destination for walleye

Post by Matt Bass »

We are planning our trip for next year or maybe a fall fishing week-end and would like suggestion on lake or river where catching walleye is not a mission impossible! Would like to get suggestion. We are ready to do approximately 4 to 5 hours drive from Ottawa (Quebec or Ontario). if website are available I would like the address.

Thank you and your suggestion and all appreciated.

Matt
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Matt
I assume you are deliberately trying to avoid the obvious - Ottawa River.

If you wish to do a self-guided back-lake adventure, the Mississippi River back to Hwy41 holds walleye along the length, in all the various lakes along it's extent. Expect smaller eyes than the larger rivers. Nearby, Skootamatta Lake holds decent numbers of walleye as well.

Another alternative is the St.Lawrence river. St Lawrence outfitters will put you on the fish.

But IMO your best option for Trophy Class walleye would be Bay of Quinte. There are multiple guides available, fellow FH member Sheldon Hatch would be a good bet.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

www.tenmilelodge.com

A bit more than 4-5 hours but not that much more.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Dan Smyth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dan Smyth »

It is a bit further to go but I would strongly recommend NEMIO OUTFITTERS on the Gouin Reservoir if you are looking for size and numbers. About 6-7 hours from Ottawa.
Was up there last week and caught real good numbers and decent sized fish. Six fishermen and we ate fish every day and all brought their limit of 8 fish home all 2 1/2 to 3 pounds with a couple of fours.
Lots of pike as well.

They have a web site. Just google NEMIO and it will come up.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Like Dan Smyth said, Nemio is good. I've been all over the Gouin, and caught LOTS of fish at all destinations. Any outfitter on the Gouin will get you onto fish.

If you're looking for a bit closer, look up the outfitters in LaVerendrye Wildlife Reserve. Theres Dorval Lodge, Deerhorn Lodge, Aventure Joncas, Pavillon Cabonga. The only outfitter I'd stay away from in LaVerendrye is Bark Lake Lodge (I've had a really bad experience there, and the consensus is that the guides are "snob-ish", but it's a really nice place to stay for a vacation).

LaVerendrye Reserve has a poop-load of campgrounds that you can reserve up to 5 months in advance. If you're going for opener, you'd best start checking the SEPAQ website around x-mas, to get in on the fun. Otherwise, it's all booked up. The camp sites are much cheaper than the outfitters, but for comfort, you are limited to the equipment you bring.

Another place I can recommend, is Domaine Shannon. I just got back from my first trip there, ever. It's north-east of LaVerendrye park, and is in zone 14, so you can keep 8 walleye, just like the Gouin (LaVerendrye is zone 10, and you can only keep 6 walleye).D-Shannon is a great place, very remote. The camps are simple, but provide all the required services. And the fishing! On our first full day there, we caught 60 walleye (4 guys) in about 4 hours. The action was non-stop! It's a little pricey, but if you have an arsenal of techniques, you'll be sure to catch fish.

I'd stay away from Baskatong if you want to catch fish, as opposed to prospect for fish. I've got a handfull of sure-fire spots, but it's taken me years to find them, and my boat is always the lone-boat when were on the spot. There's a lot of traffic there too. Pointe-a-David is a beautiful campsite, and a great place to party. Parties and fishing don't usually mix, and the fish are nowhere to be found around that area.
reel_obsessions
Participant
Participant

Post by reel_obsessions »

Calabogie Lake is always a great destination for Walleye! Not unusual to land over 30 through out the day.. Be careful though, the slot size is 19.7 inches!
For some,
Fishing is a hobby.

For others,
Fishing is a passion.

For a few,
Fishing is everything.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

GuinnessGuy wrote:
I'd stay away from Baskatong if you want to catch fish
I second that. We did manage to find some, but it took a few days.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I just returned from Dorval Lodge which is 4 hours from Ottawa. On a rough weekend for fishing with the weather we managed to do very well, doubly so with the low water up there and us never having been there.

http://www.dorval-lodge.com/Welcome/Welcome.htm
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BOQ

Post by CCLad »

Bay of Quinte - a world class Walleye fishery. 2.5 hours away from Ottawa.
bananaboat
Participant
Participant

Post by bananaboat »

Great thread. I was just logging on to ask a similar question.

In addition to some of the places mentioned, I came across the Pourvoirie Poirier site last night. Seems very accessible compared to other Quebec lodges. Has anyone one been there recently?

I was also on the Ten Mile site noted by Wallyboss. Looks great but I'm a bit intimidated by the 100 km of logging roads to get in. I have an Escape 4x4, maybe it's time to put it to the test.