The Poor Sunfish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The Poor Sunfish

Post by BigC »

Just got back from a week at a cottage along the Rideau system with my family and man was the fishing tough. 2 days of crazy wind, 2 days of blue bird skies and 3 days of just about everything else. (which turned out to be the best conditions) The only one who seemed to be doing well numbers wise was my 5 year old daughter Zoey who was laying into the sunfish and rock bass off the dock. Dock isn't the right word more like front porch.

She started off slow but as the week progressed she went from running away scared to reeling them in then baiting her hook and then of course showing her little sister Grace how to do it properly. She tried every plastic I had, finally finding one that worked so well she called it the "Secret Weapon"......future FH poster or what! Don't think I'm going to tell you either. :lol:

These poor sunfish get about a loaf of bread a day as it's become a habit to sit out after breakfast and supper and feed the fish with whatever leftover bread we have from the meal. So when you add the hook to the equation it's light's out. I'm sure one day I must have unhooked 300 fish between the three girls fishing as we had a friend up for the weekend.

"Who wants to go fishing", I would say. "MEEEEE" was always the response. Chad didn't need to say anything the look said it all...lol :P

Under kids say the darnest things, Zoey one day looks over and says, "Dad this is so easy, when you say it's so hard. I think I must be a natural born fisher girl". I could only smile and say "I think you're right".

BigC

P.S.

Best part of the story was late one night I found a piece of bread on the dock and started breaking off pieces for the sunfish when I saw a shadow that wasn't no sunfish. Grab the Zebco left by fisher girl loaded with the secret weapon and BAM. Biggest fish of the week right off the corner of the cottage. Huge mouth long body just missing that big nickel belly.

Last edited by BigC on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stclairhound
Participant
Participant

Post by stclairhound »

Cool Pics. WTG Zoey. Show dad how to do it!
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

Hey BigC
Looks like you had a great get away. Brings back a lot of great memories when I see the young ones reeln them in. The good thing is if you get them into it early you’ll have no problem getting them to go fishing with ya as they get older and you never forget those moments.
Nice bass by the way. Is it in season…….sorry couldn’t resist
:lol: :lol:
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Thanks Kevin.

Think the problem is going to be going Muskie fishing and telling her she can't come (yet). Guess I could bring her since I usually don't catch anything :cry:

Sure was in season and tasted great with the 200 or so sunfish we cooked up.....what a meal.

Sorry couldn't resist either.

BigC
Homer Is King
Participant
Participant

Post by Homer Is King »

Great job. Thanks for sharing!

Nothing like wacking sunfish all day to get the kids hooked on fishing!
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

Sunfish are so fun to cAtch aren't they? WE just got back from the cottage and caught a slew of em! Great report! Nice bass by the way! :wink:
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

You gotta love the kids fishing! Great report!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great report :)
|Dore|
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

What a fun report!

I just love that picture of the sisters looking into the water together - cute!

Your reward for being such a kind and patient dad was that beauty of a bass (on a Zebco kiddie yet)! Very nice!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

By the way, my younger son has a "secret weapon" too, and I can tell you it catches everything from sunfish to perch to pike to bass. It is something I would never have considered using and would have probably dismissed it as simply a panfish bait. Anyway, kids are curious and that leads them to try things we wouldn't normally bother with. So maybe we should let the little ones choose our lures when the bite is off. :lol:

Again, great post.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.