Seeleys Bay Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Seeleys Bay Report

Post by Seabass81 »

So yesterday morning Rico and I left for Seeleys Bay at 4:00 am . It was rainy the whole drive there and gave us some doubts about todays comfort level. As soon as we get to the launch it stops raining and stayed that way until our return trip .

We prepped the boat and then realized its still to dark to navigate this new body of water so we took a couple of casts of the dock . Rico flipped his jig into a little whole in the scum and pulled out this bad boy !

Hopefully this was a sign of things to come. Having never fished this area we where taking notes the whole day. After a slow run up to Whitefish Lake we where both in awe by the scenery . Now I had seen a couple pictures of this lake and it screemed SMALLMOUTH . There where huge rock bluffs and cliffs everywhere which would normaly be sononomys with deep water....not the case. I was shocked that our blast across the lake didnt get deeper then 12 feet and at the bases of these cliffs where 7-9 feet with some nice weedgrowth . Took only a couple of minutes to find a fish in 10 fow . He hit a Strike King jig with a Big Bite Baits " Rojas Fighting Frog " as a trailer . For the whole day I stuck with the rusty Orange colour trying to imitate some of the crayfish we had seen .

Time to check out dog and cranberry lake. So we pack up the way we came. Now I dont remember which lake was which but we mostly fished the lake after the swinging bridge. Upon arrival at the swinging bridge we gave our horn a toot like we where told to and a large fellow comes out and gives us the evil eye. " I will swing the bridge this time but next time try to go under". he says. We zip past the bridge and find some more rock walls still 8 feet at the edge so no smallies.

But there was a little largie hidden amongst the wood and rocks !

Now you may be thinking I was being a camera hog but the truth is up to this point other then the " shore fish" Rico caught he still has yet to land anything in the boat.

After piddling around these rocks we went for a run further down the lake. The further we went the murkier the water was getting . At this point we see a wall of bass boats heading our way and realize we are in the middle of a tournement so we better stake our shoreline and quick . Out of the corner of my eye I see a bay that is filled with a Huge Algae bloom and almost overlooked it except for this HUGE tree that looks to have fallen in the water not to long ago. I had to give it a shot . Now flippin this tree was a bit different, usully I can see the branched under water and that helps me decide where to cast but I just went for the Hail Mary's and hoped not to get hung up .

First flip in tick tick set the hook and a nice little guy .

Well I was convinced there was another in there so I flipped into the thickest part I could see and that yielded the best fish of the day. Not a monster but a solid 3.5 for sure !

All in all it was a good day. No hogs but the majority of fish where decent size . As for patterns it was really hard . All my fish except 3 where caught on the jig. Some where in 12 fow and some where tight on shore in 2 fow . Colour I think was a big factor. While Rico was using the standard " Ottawa Colours Black and Blue " I stuck with my rusty crawfish immitation and this proved to be awinning combo . And towards the end of the day Rico manged to get 4 more nice bass in the boat.

We packed up at 2 and made a quick stop at Bennetts in Smith Falls and then off to find food. Ran into another Hawker at Harveys. Nice to see you again Pauolo ( sorry if I spelt it wrong) .

1 or 2 more good adventures and the nitro goes away for the winter :cry:
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Nice Fish Boys!!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Great fishing boys! Sounds like a great day out.

Thanks for sharing!!

Craig
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Great report man,

Good job,

that fish you carrying in the last picture around 2.5 lb. is it?

ASK
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

Nice fish lads :!: colour did seem to matter this weekend.. pink on these lakes.. always seems to be the go to colour.. we did good with Spros and jigs on the weekend as well
I can tell you from the pictures at where it is green on the water it is Dog... it sems to be clearing up a little but there is a huge difference between Dog and into Cranberry.. but it doesn't seem to affect the fishing.. they say you ought to rinse your rod and reel with clear water to get rid of any of the blue/green toxins.. in case they are present..

Don't worry about the guy at the bridge he is always unhappy... the stress of the job I think. :D
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Nice fish guys!! Saw you guys heading home I guess on the 417 towing a red nitro yesterday afternoon
Wishing I was fishing
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That area sure is fun to play around in....I love it.

We had a group of guys in town to fish all weekend....Dog was on the docket but swapped it out due to that algae deal.....looks like you guys faired out ok!

RJ
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Nice road trip boyz.

Better than watching WFN all day.

:shock: :shock:
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Great report!!

So Rico... John outfished you like 3 to 1?!?!? :lol: What`s that all about!

Nice fish boys. That 3.5 looks real chunky!!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

good stuff guys
i think im gonna head out for bass again some time soon and take a break from the musky
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Nice report. Looks like a good outing.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Glad things worked out Seabass..... 8)
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

nice fish guys!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Nice report John, those are some nice piggies.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Nice bass guys :) .