Ice Fishing Reels

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I was at a hardware store today and saw that they had about 10 boxes of what was simply labeled as Ice Fishing Reel... it was blue and white box.. and I opened it and they looked like those funky fly fishing salad spinner reels...!???

Whatsup with that?

Any one familiar with that style of ice fishing reel?

(I didn't think to look at the brand... I had to hurry up!)

Craig
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Might be a rattle reel. You mount that on the inside of a Permanent shack and when you get a bite it starts rolling and there is bells or something inside the reel that rattles. It think that some can be springloaded and when you are fishing for perch you just set the hook and then the reel reels in by itself
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll have some of the HT reels with me on Thursday night at the Ice Fishing Evening if anyone wants to give em a look........ :wink:

RJ
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I might be able to squeeze in an hour or so of that Ice Fishing show.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

cprince wrote:I was at a hardware store today and saw that they had about 10 boxes of what was simply labeled as Ice Fishing Reel... it was blue and white box.. and I opened it and they looked like those funky fly fishing salad spinner reels...!???

Whatsup with that?

Craig
The brand would help :idea: ......but it looks like you're sold on the HT for some reason or another :wink: :lol: :lol: ....
cprince wrote:The HT is FAR superior.

Take it for what its worth from a guy who ice fishes very little (at this point!)

Craig
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

I'll be upgrading some of my junk to a pair of 500 Series Shimano reels like the Sedona or Sahara this winter. Best part is, I won't be afraid to use them in the spring and summer for panfish and trout.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I've been using a couple Browning Superlight reels for walleye, worked well for Quinte last year.

I just picked up a pair of Mitchell Avocet II spinning reels on the weekend (8 bearings) and 4 custom 32" med-heavy Rovic Rods for Quinte walleye and northern laker this year.

Where can you buy the HT Accucast reel only, not in a combo?

JimW
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by D-mo »

I'll be using a couple of these ... for a real difference - no line twist on thise babies .. and the reel drops the bait/lure back down to a preset depth ... everytime.

http://picasaweb.google.com/uno8137/Swi ... directlink#

d-mo
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I'll have some of the Accucast reels here......soon I hope.....damn things are on backorder. It's the 106AC model. :) Right now I've got the Okuma iT-10 in stock.....a decent reel as well! :)

Accucast 106AC....$29.99+tx

Okuma Ignite iT-10.....$37.99+tx

...and we also have the St Croix PS250 3bb reel in stock.....clearance priced at $13.99+tx......

:)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Post by adempsey »

I use Abu Garcia Cardinal 100U/101 reels. They fit my budget and work well for me. In the future I'd consider upgrading to a Shimano Sahara or Sedona [or maybe Symetre]. I was going to pick up a Shimano Syncopate to try out, but they sold out.

Other popular relatively inexpensive reels for ice fishing are Pflueger Trion and Tica Cetus.
adempsey
Participant
Participant

Post by adempsey »

I use Abu Garcia Cardinal 100U/101 reels. They fit my budget and work well for me. In the future I'd consider upgrading to a Shimano Sahara or Sedona [or maybe Symetre]. I was going to pick up a Shimano Syncopate to try out, but they sold out.

Other popular relatively inexpensive reels for ice fishing are Pflueger Trion and Tica Cetus.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Very impressed so far with the Abu Garcia Cardinal 100u reels. Very smooth drag and do great in -30 weather. Got them on most of my rods

Also use the Sedona 500 but not really impressed the way the drag works in cold weather. Not the smoothest drag there is compared to the Abu Garcia Cardinal. I also use quantum hot sauce oil/grease on all my ice reels

Held the accu cast and was really impressed the way it felt for the price. The drag looks really nice for fighting bigger fish. Might give them a shot this year!

My 2c.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Steve P wrote:
cprince wrote:I was at a hardware store today and saw that they had about 10 boxes of what was simply labeled as Ice Fishing Reel... it was blue and white box.. and I opened it and they looked like those funky fly fishing salad spinner reels...!???

Whatsup with that?

Craig
The brand would help :idea: ......
It took me long enough... I know... but this was my first time back there in a couple of months.

I had a chance to take a picture of these reels... they had about 15 of them in stock. Curious little contraptions.

Anyone fly fish through the ice?!!!

ImageImage

Any one seen/use theses?

Craig