looking for new portable ice shack flip over or hub?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

looking for new portable ice shack flip over or hub?

Post by Chevy Champagne »

hey guys so i am in the market for a new portable ice shack and i am debateing over the a flip over style shack or a hub style i will most likley only be fishing with one other guy so the little bit of extra space would be nice

also i cant see myself moving it around to many times a day so it doesnt matter how light it is

im hopeing to have enought room to have 4 holes in it 2 for each person one for the vex and one for fishing out of each

so what are the advantages of the flip over style in shacks since they are worth so much more?

thanks alot for the help in advanced and the ice cant come any sooner :D
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

go for the flip over, the extra money is worth it for the sled/storage. And they are fast to set up.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Definitely flip over. You'll quickly get addicted to staying on top of the fish and will move around throughout the day. The ability to throw everything in the sled and move is really great. Little heavier as well which is good if you're fishing in a large area where the wind can pick up quickly. They also set up in less than 20 seconds

The Fish Trap Nanook looks like the best option for you
http://www.clamcorp.com/Shelters/FishTr ... fault.aspx

More than welcome to stop by and have a look at mine on the ice before you buy one Chevy! You'll see a bunch of different models come first ice.

Hope this helps!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

I like my quickfish III. Not as fast to set up as a flipover, but I get to the spot a lot faster because I'm not dragging 80lbs behind me. I also like being able to stand up every so often.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

hey oli i was thinking about the nanook they look like a real quality built shack

also since it is already on a sled it would be alot better for me consittering i would be pulling it on my snowmobile

if it is on the sled do you just flip it over and where it flips is that where you drill the holes and you sit sorta in the sled ?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Hey Chevy.....you and Mickey fish together 95% of the time and a nanook flip over will not be roomy for you!!.....it only has a fishing area of 20 square feet which converts to an area of 4 feet x 5 feet :shock: .....get yourself a tape measure, mark those dimensions out in your living room and see if you think you'll be comfortable in there....there's no way that you can have 4 holes in that area...you won't be able to stand up in it either...it's only 5 feet high :shock:

I thought I saw you guys pulling a sled with all your gear in it last year behind your cat :?: .....you can buy a 6 man popup clam command base shelter for $300 and it only weighs 40lbs! http://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.p ... how_detail

If you don't have a sled, then buy a decent one to hold your shelter in it, minnow bucket, auger, vex, etc,,,,,
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

that deffinitly looks a little roomyier i dont wanna spend a bunch of money on something that isnt comfy

and year we have a sled im just trying to think if that modle of hut would fold up small enough to fit in it and still be able to cary the auger and vex's ect.
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

basic logic ...

Post by D-mo »

Flip-over - if you have the room for it in your vehicle (van or truck) and you like to "run and gun".
Hub - if you have a car, and your a "stay put kinda guy"

d-mo
gerrymackenzie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gerrymackenzie »

I'm also looking for some sort of shelter. Not looking for anything over the $200 mark and it will used mainly as a windbreak. The guys I fish with like to spread out over the ice and we drill at least 4 holes in a 20 or 30 foot radius.
I was looking at the CLAM but they will charge $40 or more to ship to Canada. Does anyone around here carry this type of shelter at a reasonable price??

Gerry
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Chevy: You got it. When you get to your spot with the fish trap still attached to the snowmobile, just pop it open and drill your holes and good to go. No fish? Fire up the snowmobile, collapse the shelter and off you go to another spot!
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

gerrymackenzie wrote:I'm also looking for some sort of shelter. Not looking for anything over the $200 mark and it will used mainly as a windbreak. The guys I fish with like to spread out over the ice and we drill at least 4 holes in a 20 or 30 foot radius.
I was looking at the CLAM but they will charge $40 or more to ship to Canada. Does anyone around here carry this type of shelter at a reasonable price??

Gerry
Lebaron does carry several models

http://lebaron.ca/fall%202010%20pages/clam_shelters.pdf

Oli
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

I have a 4man pop up, its a subzero brand from canadian tire, they sell for around 300 bucks. This thing has lasted me 4 years with lots of abuse and hurricane force winds on the st.lawrence. For the price you cant beat them, my buddy has a frabil that he paid 500 bucks for it and you cant even move in it. Check out the sub-zero brand from canadian tire, you wont be disappointed. And for mobility, well if you dont have an extra 15 seconds to unscrew the anchors you must be a busy dude. I would take a pop up over a flip up anyday, simply more room.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Pro_Tackle
Participant
Participant

Post by Pro_Tackle »

Go for the fold over style.

As far as size goes... It all depends on how many people you want in the tent and then how large of a version. You have to consider the weight if you are pulling it by hand.

Frabill do make the best on the market!
They really have bumped up their quality and their prices are very competitive.

If you are able to come down to the Belleville area Dec. 11th and 12th. I have 9 different models of shelters on display for our Ice fishing Open house.
We have one of the largest selections of Ice fishing gear around!

There will be door prizes and everything in the store is on Sale!

You can check out more details in our Vender news. I will always post whats new.

good luck fishing!

Stacy
Pro Tackle

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Fly fishing and fishing Charters.

43B Putman Industrial Rd.
Belleville, ON
613-968-4111 or Toll Free: 1-888-442-7456

2Kms North of Hwy #401 up Hwy#37
www.protacklemuskyshop.com
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

I would recomend the Otter fish huts in the Cabin size for two people.

I log alot of days on the ice in the winter and for towing and quality you cant beat a OTTER.

The clam products are nice but the sleigh is lacking if you are towing any great distances the clam hook up will eventualy fail.

The otter sleigh is designed as a sleigh to be towed behind a a snowmobile or ATV.

The clam is a sleigh that has a after the fact piece to attach the tow bar to the seigh while the otter comes with it built into the sleigh which results in greater durability.

The quality of the plastic overal in the sleigh is by far better in the otter I have seen alot of patch jobs on the clam but not the otter.

You will pay a bit more for the otter but in the long run it is well worth it.

I will recomend putting pipe insulation on the frame for the hut as this will prevent pinching of the fabric on long hauls and prolong the life of the whole unit.

They do cost more but in todays world you get what you pay for.

hope this helps.

Buckshot.

Check out the site

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Can't beat a flipover Trap for moving around and staying on fish. Popup style is roomier but you also have to bring a bucket or camping chair for each person to sit on... all the sudden you have 3 or 5 items to unfold not to mention carry around in something... oh yeah, you could carry it all in a sled! Like the sled that is already part of a Fish Trap flipover. It's already neatly holding your rods, tackle, heater and seat(s) :wink: Simple choice to me if you are a "new school" ice fisherman... if you want to be less mobile you might as well sit in someone's wood fed hut on Constance Bay :wink: Not that there's anything wrong with that.