Shirleys bay report Jan 6th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shirleys bay report Jan 6th

Post by CCLad »

Moved the hut out off the point -furthest hut out) 13 feet of water and 9" of ice. I got 6 eye's and in total we iced 10. Nothing worthy of pictures all pretty small, 3 met the frying pan and the rest went back.

Here is a picture of the holes we fish. You get twice the room to jig. Called the "Bum Hole" for obvious reasons.....

Image :lol:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Cool idea! I would also imagine it giving you more room for your electronics and not get it tangled up with your jig!

Looks more like the infinity sign to me than a bum!!

Craig
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Great idea!
Too bad only the small ones, but better eating anyway.
The big boy will we cruising soon, so put your time in.

Looks like Mickey's ears to me! :)
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Moved the hut out off the point -furthest hut out) 13 feet of water and 9" of ice.
So if I have it right , you're at the far point a mile out . There is a decent current out there so if you have 9in. there , inside the bay must have 3-4 in. more . Are there vehicles driving out now? How many shacks are out there?
Congrats on having a good catch even if they weren't too big. I used to fish Shirleys a lot many years back before moving to Lanark . It used to be a very busy place but fruitful if you avoided the crowds and stayed out late. We used to get more picks on set lines with emeralds but jigging did work , mostly with champs and pimps back then . I wonder if they get used much anymore ? So what's it like out there these past few years ? I look forward to your comments . tks

Smitty
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

[quote]Moved the hut out off the point -furthest hut out) 13 feet of water and 9" of ice.
So if I have it right , you're at the far point a mile out . There is a decent current out there so if you have 9in. there , inside the bay must have 3-4 in. more . Are there vehicles driving out now? How many shacks are out there?
Congrats on having a good catch even if they weren't too big. I used to fish Shirleys a lot many years back before moving to Lanark . It used to be a very busy place but fruitful if you avoided the crowds and stayed out late. We used to get more picks on set lines with emeralds but jigging did work , mostly with champs and pimps back then . I wonder if they get used much anymore ? So what's it like out there these past few years ? I look forward to your comments . tks CCLad

Smitty
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

As for the ice thickness, there was 9" 300 yards out off the parking lot shore (a little towards the causeway. Now the hut is situated off the point to the right of the launch. On the picture it is pretty much straight out from the triangle marker on the point. We are not as far out as the map would indicated for 13 feet of water. We checked the depth using a tape measure so it's accurate.

That said, I use a jig from Lyndy and hook the shiner in a specific way then jig horizontaly using the extra width of the "bum-Hole). It out fishes everything else Ive seen people use at my hut.

Hope this helps....Image
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi;
Can anyone tell me what street the launch is on or close too?
Thanks,
Daner
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Heya Daner . the launch is at the very end of Range rd. off Carling ave. a couple of miles west of Moodie dr. and east of the Communication Research Center .
Smitty
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Thanks Smitty! :)

Would you happen to know where lakeview is on Muskrat Lake?
If so, the street name etc..

Daner :arrow:
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Does anyone know that Shirley's Bay was the very 1st UFO Siting area/zone in the world?
It was developed in the early 1950's!

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Daner I think its Lakeside Cottages a few miles west of Cobden on the hwy off of Waterview rd.
If anyone has a link to a hydro map of the lake it would be great .
Sorry if this is off topic (':(')

Smitty
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Thanks again Smitty and all other Hawkers.
I will now create the launch site map for the Muskrat G2G and post it on the appropriate post.
http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... 584#348755

Later, Daner. :)
rugger
Participant
Participant

Shirley Bay Update

Post by rugger »

Thinking of putting out our shack this weekend (Jan 15-16). Anyone have an update on the ice conditions?

Thanks

BJ
Fridayknight
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirley Bay Update

Post by Fridayknight »

rugger wrote:Thinking of putting out our shack this weekend (Jan 15-16). Anyone have an update on the ice conditions?

Thanks

BJ
You're good to go... CCLad and I were out last night. Between the two of us we caught 7 last night. CC caught a solid 2 lb walleye, later in the evening (7-8pm' ish), out of the bunch.

There's 11.25" of ice now and there were several truck's SUV's out there. We're planning on going out with the sled to punch some holes further out tomorrow. We'll report back on conditions.
rugger
Participant
Participant

Post by rugger »

FK,

Thanks for the update. My buddies and I should be bringing out our shack (aka trailer) on Sunday.

Where do you have your shack set up?