Over powered boat

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Over powered boat

Post by ShawnD »

First ride done, I have a wack loads of adjustments to do, 64 mph with the wind and against the wind 60mph any more and the chinwalk would start.
The hotfoot adjustment would keep me from hitting WOT. ( didn't matter 64 is plenty fast. )

This engine just runs so great... It's like a ferrari engine, I could listen o it idle all day :D
But my issue now is with that extra weight, the water is dangerously close to my gunnel... :(
Odd because they're both v6's...
I'll see what I can come up with this week, might keep this one until we solve the problem on the gt 150 ( which was the original plan after all ).
I'll keep you posted.

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Wow, that certainly puts you in the "High Performance" class for marine insurance (anything over 60mph). I would be curious what you end up paying :o :o :o
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Shawn when you switch back to your 150, can I try this one on my skeeter. its rated for an 80. lol I have a 90 on it that I might get piston work done to increase the bore soon
Hollywood catches more perch than me
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

shawn you should be getting a lot more than you are getting out of the setup.

here are some questions, items you really need to find the answers for

- what boat (type/model) do you have?
- jack plate?
- prop pitch? prop brand/type
- distance of cav plate to pad?
- rpms at WOT

for your safety I highly recommend a hot-foot and a blinker trim. you should not be getting chime walk on the right setup at 60 mph. also I would have an experianced guy drive the boat and you check the transom for flexing while running. If that motor breaks loose it will want to try and climb into the cockpit with you.

unless you have experiance with "Walking" find someone with a performance boat and get some lessons and or tips on driving.

there is a lot to properly setting up a motor to a hull and making it safe.
Last edited by bardern on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Keicks
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

beachburger wrote:Do what you want to do but if you plan on using that boat in a B.A.S.S. sanctioned tournament such as the OBN Qualifier, it would be considered an illegal boat.
ShawnD, if you're fishing Lake St. Francis tomorrow with the OVSB tomorrow, suggest you double check with the tournament director. See rule 18C.

http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/Rules.html

OVSB Webmaster
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Mr. T. wrote:
beachburger wrote:Do what you want to do but if you plan on using that boat in a B.A.S.S. sanctioned tournament such as the OBN Qualifier, it would be considered an illegal boat.
ShawnD, if you're fishing Lake St. Francis tomorrow with the OVSB tomorrow, suggest you double check with the tournament director. See rule 18C.

http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/Rules.html

OVSB Webmaster
I'm fishing as a non boater tomorrow.

Guys believe you me if we could have gotten that Gt150 to work that's what would be on the boat and I would be fishing as a non boater tomorrow...
I'm not looking to fine tune this setup. We me standing on the stern of the boat the boat is dangerously low.. 1 good wave would go right over the rear deck..
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think you are answering your own questions Shawn. I've seen the thread you put together rebuilding your boat (that was cool by the way) and to make it borderline unsafe is no offense, stupid.

Fix the 150 somehow and get that 225 back to the "mechanic" that thought it would be a good idea to put a motor on your boat that is 75 HP over the recommended rating.

RJ
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I just saw this and you already said what I was going to tell you, your stern is too heavy. TWO times in one summer I saw guys (on tiller boats, mind you), hit a wave and out they went off the transom. Boat carried on OK in one case (and I took my boat out to lasso it), and in the other case the boat wound up on shore with the engine still wide open and the prop beating itself to death on rocks.

Never mind fluff like insurance and tournament rules, SAFETY is more important. JMOYMV

Doug the cautious old fart
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

My boat sits low on the arse to, maybe not as low as yours. try moving the batteries and fuel gloser to the bow?
Hollywood catches more perch than me
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

RJ wrote:I think you are answering your own questions Shawn. I've seen the thread you put together rebuilding your boat (that was cool by the way) and to make it borderline unsafe is no offense, stupid.

Fix the 150 somehow and get that 225 back to the "mechanic" that thought it would be a good idea to put a motor on your boat that is 75 HP over the recommended rating.

RJ
RJ just said what I was skirting around. solid advice. there is probably no way to make that rig safe.
Barry Keicks
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

RJ wrote:I think you are answering your own questions Shawn. I've seen the thread you put together rebuilding your boat (that was cool by the way) and to make it borderline unsafe is no offense, stupid.

RJ
Bingo, well said RJ!
davey buoy
Participant
Participant

Post by davey buoy »

Agreed as well.That boat must of went crazy.75hp over! and very dangerous.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

davey buoy wrote:Agreed as well.That boat must of went crazy.75hp over! and very dangerous.
You guys are funny, no the boat did not GO CRAZY!! It's all up to the boater to turn the key and not go all out ...
What is Crazy is how low the stern sits to the water...
This is a very heavy boat capable of that power but the rear end sits so low any cruiser could sink me. :oops: