First Open Water Trip

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

First Open Water Trip

Post by ratsotail »

Well it wasn't a great trip by anyone's standards, but we were casting and catching a few fish instead of drilling holes, trudging through snow, battling frostbite, and wearing way too many layers of clothes :-). We were mostly targeting panfish and would accept the random Bass or Walleye, but we saw way more of these guys today than anything else: Image
Cute little bugger isn't he!?

We caught two other juveniles like this one and had an attack at the boat by one around 26" and another about 32" just throwing 3' Gulp minnows. Spring soon will come to your latitude too 8) :D !

Tight Lines and keep the ice reports coming. You are having a banner hard water year for sure!

ratsotail
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: First Open Water Trip

Post by Mike P »

A cool pic Jeff, and warmer temps.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Awesome Jeff :D Coldest winter in Ottawa since I've been alive, will be on ice right into April for panfish. Next weekend I won't be able to drill in some spots without an extension.

Send some warmth North will ya :lol:
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

Moving water....so jealous!!
This winter just wont end down here
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Mike P, I guess one has to be careful what they wish for (eg. a loooong ice fishing season). I got almost 7 weeks on the hardwater in my region. I can't imagine what almost 5 months of ice fishing would look like. I've never had to add an extension to an auger either. Came close in Ottawa the 2004/2005 season.

Tippy, if there happens to be a bubble of warm air that makes it way up from the Gulf of Mexico I will attempt to push it your way. Winter lingers here too with the chance for an inch of wet snow tonight. Hey post a few pics of your nicest fish here like RJ did recently. I trust you had a pretty good run this winter with some diversity in what you caught!

Marco, this definitely sounds like a winter to remember and tell your kids and grandkids about, eh!

Tight lines and hang in there....here's to an extended fall to make up for the late (or non-existent spring).

Jeff
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Mike P, I guess one has to be careful what they wish for (eg. a loooong ice fishing season). I got almost 7 weeks on the hardwater in my region. I can't imagine what almost 5 months of ice fishing would look like. I've never had to add an extension to an auger either. Came close in Ottawa the 2005/2006 season.

Tippy, if there happens to be a bubble of warm air that makes it way up from the Gulf of Mexico I will attempt to push it your way. Winter lingers here too with the chance for an inch of wet snow tonight. Hey post a few pics of your nicest fish here like RJ did recently. I trust you had a pretty good run this winter with some diversity in what you caught!

Marco, this definitely sounds like a winter to remember and tell your kids and grandkids about, eh!

Tight lines and hang in there....here's to an extended fall to make up for the late (or non-existent spring).

Jeff
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

...sorry for the duplicate post..looks like the site still has some issues?? Admins....HELP!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Open water!?!?! What's that? :lol:

Great to see ya get out Jeff...be sure to let me know when you're in town again. Enjoyed our evening in the Lund with Grant.

RJ
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

...there is a better than 50% I'll be up there for business around the end of July. I'd love to wet a line with you and Grant again! Let's hope for a longer summer and fall to make up for the delayed spring. Although, I am jealous the best of the hard water season is yet to come :mrgreen: 8) :lol: for you. Keep us posted with those stellar pics and reports!

FYI, the lake I will be concentrating on this year, where we saw all these Musky, also has HUGE Crappie. Check this mounted fish out that is surrounded by two 1 lb. Bluegill. This is what a 4 lb. 2 0z. Crappie looks like. The lake record was set recently with a 4 lb. 4 oz. fish. How'd ya' like to pull one of these dudes through an eight inch hole in the ice :shock: :shock: !?

tight lines,

Jeff
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey Ratso - :P

Well, here's a little sign of spring -- an open water report, albeit a juvenile toothie excursion. :lol: I saw a jointed northern pike lure in a sports store yesterday that looked a lot like the fish in your hands! It wasn't much smaller!

I can appreciate the refreshing change of pace it must have been to go from ice, ice, ice to casting. Lucky you. It's been a deep freeze of a winter.

Keep these "springy" reports coming, regardless of the catch!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.