Best line for jerkbaits?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TJO
Participant
Participant

Best line for jerkbaits?

Post by TJO »

So lets hear everyones opinion. I like to use Power Pro with about 15 ft of Floro.
Tom
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Best line for jerkbaits?

Post by BradGuenette »

After going through a few lines for jerkbaits FC, Braid & some copolys I found that I didnt like FC as it sinks and found it messes with the action too much on long pauses, and with the no stretch properties of braid I was loosing too many fish. I have come to fall in love with #12 Sunline Supernatural.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Preaching the 110’s action, I also found that Fluoro made the bill dive and mess up that beloved side to side rolling action.
I prefer mono’s buoyancy and stretch when using Jerkbaits. Went with 12lbs Trilene last year, will be going down to 10lbs this upcoming season.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

I use 20lb SX1 with 12-16 lb Sniper on one setup and on the other setup straight 12lb Sniper.

Here is a good video from A-mart regarding jerkbaits.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishin ... luoro.html
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

On my spinning setup, I used 20lb Power Pro with about a 4 foot leader of Flouro.

I liked this because it allowed the bait to dive a little deeper.

Last year, on my baitcast setup, I used 10lb Flouro and hated it. This year, I was planning on going back to braid with a flouro leader, but after this was started, I may just wait and see what others use.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

20# braid and either a flouro or mono leader for me.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

10 lb or 12 lb PLine CXX. I want the line to be able to stretch a little.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

10 or 12lbs mono. I want my line to float and stretch.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

StarTzar wrote:10 or 12lbs mono. I want my line to float and stretch.
I'll have to try mono again this year.
I just always found that my jerkbait rods have a nice mod/regular taper and with mono for me its just too much stretch if you know what I mean. That could have been because it was mono and a glass rod??
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote: I just always found that my jerkbait rods have a nice mod/regular taper and with mono for me its just too much stretch if you know what I mean. That could have been because it was mono and a glass rod??
If I was using a glass rod or a composite medium moderate regular action, I would use low stretch line and let the rod do the work.
I prefer a composite medium moderate fast action rod (new this season - Dobyns 635CB), thus the reason for using mono that has some stretch.

Last season, I was using a Dobyns 684CB (described as a pool noodle by another member). Not that I lost any fish, but braid with a leader would have probably been a better option than mono. The taper was not as fast as what I had expected.

It all comes down to what you prefer and are comfortable with. As long as you know what the rod and line are doing (and pay close attention to the drag setting).
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:
biggs wrote: I just always found that my jerkbait rods have a nice mod/regular taper and with mono for me its just too much stretch if you know what I mean. That could have been because it was mono and a glass rod??
If I was using a glass rod or a composite medium moderate regular action, I would use low stretch line and let the rod do the work.
I prefer a composite medium moderate fast action rod (new this season - Dobyns 635CB), thus the reason for using mono that has some stretch.

Last season, I was using a Dobyns 684CB (described as a pool noodle by another member). Not that I lost any fish, but braid with a leader would have probably been a better option than mono. The taper was not as fast as what I had expected.

It all comes down to what you prefer and are comfortable with. As long as you know what the rod and line are doing (and pay close attention to the drag setting).

Frank,

The 684cb had similar characteristics to my GL2 784cb which was a composite moderate tapered rod. I think both of those rods would have been perfect for use with braid as a mainline. Now you have got me thinking. The Orochi XX jerkbait special has a faster tip and transitions into the backbone a lot faster than any rod I have jerkbaited with before. Now you have me thinking that Mono may be a better option. I just didn't get the hang of Flouro so maybe, I will try mono in the 12-15 pound range.

And to TJO,

Great post! It is always good when you can get other peoples thoughts on questions like this.

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:
The 684cb had similar characteristics to my GL2 784cb which was a composite moderate tapered rod. I think both of those rods would have been perfect for use with braid as a mainline. Now you have got me thinking. The Orochi XX jerkbait special has a faster tip and transitions into the backbone a lot faster than any rod I have jerkbaited with before. Now you have me thinking that Mono may be a better option. I just didn't get the hang of Flouro so maybe, I will try mono in the 12-15 pound range.

And to TJO,

Great post! It is always good when you can get other peoples thoughts on questions like this.

Adam
Adam,

The Orochi XX Jerkbait special will be fantastic with 10lbs mono.
Sharing information is always the best option.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:The Orochi XX jerkbait special has a faster tip and transitions into the backbone a lot faster than any rod I have jerkbaited with before. Now you have me thinking that Mono may be a better option. I just didn't get the hang of Flouro so maybe, I will try mono in the 12-15 pound range.

Adam
Exactly why I purchased the XX Jerkbait special, the Flat Side Special although capable, was very demanding on my arm when using Mono.
Last year's back to back tournament on the Rideau, I used the 110 a considerable amount of hrs, the following day my arm was the only Pool Noodle in the boat.

The taper is slightly faster on the J.S. and should be easier on the forearm when using mono.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I rarely throw jerkbaits but did spend a day with Charles Sim on the Larry one day doing it.

I trust his setup. 20 lb Power Pro to a 10 lb fluro lead. One thing I did notice is how light his drag is set, to the point that if you gave the bait a good jerk it would pull drag. Fish would smash it and stay pegged.

RJ