Ice conditions at muskrat lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice conditions at muskrat lake

Post by fishin mission »

Anyone know if its safe to walk on muskrat this weekend? If anyone is close to Cobden and can fill me in that would be much appreciated .......fish on!!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Ice conditions at muskrat lake

Post by Gord »

Drove by last Wednesday.......still wide open. Only frozen part was in front of the public launch in Cobden. I'm gonna be there tomorrow......I'll let you know what I see. :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Thanks Gord you da man!
Marko
Participant
Participant

Post by Marko »

I hope you have your bucktail jigs and white tubes ready :lol:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Not ready yet......I can still see open water from the boat launch. After next week's deep freeze(as long as we don't get a ton of snow), it should be good to go! :wink: :) :) :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Come on muskrat freeze over!!! I have to get some grease threw the ice this year :D
BigDaddyD
Participant
Participant

Post by BigDaddyD »

Drove by the launch ramp new years eve and saw 2 pop up huts out on the ice. But no one was out new years day. Anyone know the thickness of the ice.
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Checked at the launch approx. 3 pm. People are fishing at the pop ups. Checked far out with the binocs and it is black ice right across and no open water. There is a green shack I see every year looking from the launch up near the trailer parks and he is right in the middle. There is about 60 ft of water where he is. Also went on Mcfarlane rd. and waterview rd and the same thing froze right across. Who is going to be the first one out with a truck?????????. Lots of shacks being towed to lake clear today also.
I have to say there is lots of hard black ice, just looks scary because it does appear to look like water.
I think I will wait till next week but will be going to muskrat off waterview rd.
Good luck in the new year. Laker
ribar
Participant
Participant

Post by ribar »

Has anyone fished from the campground side yet? With this cold snap I trully hope ice is good all accross the lake. It would be nice to have an update on the ice condition.

Stay warm!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Was chatting with a buddy who had to drive by today due to work commitments, and he told me that there were shacks everywhere on the lake and that people were driving on. He said there was some 20 vehicles on the ice so sounds like its good to go.....PLEASE use your own judgement don't take my word for the ice conditions be safe and test the ice before venturing out. Only YOURSELF can be responsible for you own safety drill lots of holes and be safe out there guys.......DANO
ribar
Participant
Participant

Post by ribar »

Fishin Mission,

thank you for the info. One can never be too careful on the ice. We always check the ice conditions as we advance unless it is obvious that conditions are safe and other folks are fishing in the distance.
Much appreciated.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

no problem Ribar see you on the ice Saturday !!
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

do you guys get decent lakers through the ice there or is it mostly for walleye etc. I live not far from there and been wanting to try it
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

I get the lakers mostly in the summer time as I do a lot of trolling there. have got walleye and lots of pike and
a few lakers threw the ice.
Good luck Laker
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

Hey fishin mission. don't know what your buddy was smoken but it must have been awful good to see what he saw.
I checked mountain rd. 1 shack and person walked out. Waterview rd. 1 popup and person walked out.
MacFarlane rd. 2 shacks and maybe 4 wheeler tracks, no trucks or cars. Boat launch in village 3 shacks and again maybe
4 wheeler tracks. far cry from shacks all over and 20 vehicles on the ice. I did walk out about 200 yards and punched a hole.
There is about 11/12 inches of ice and maybe 8/10 inches of snow on top.
Laker