Best Hard Top Tonneau Cover... ???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Laframboise
Participant
Participant

Best Hard Top Tonneau Cover... ???

Post by Laframboise »

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... But considering almost every fisherman who drives a truck has a tonneau cover......

I have recently upgraded my tow vehicle to a 2007-2013 Chevy Body style Crew Cab..

I've got the 5.8' box, and am looking for a hard flat (Foldable cover)

I've looked at the backflip G2 but I don't care for the (2) side rails that are clamped to the box.
-I prefer the ones that are on top of the bed rails.. ( Like most of the soft tri-fold tonneau covers)

It seems the new product has changed in the last few years.

Any Reconsiderations?

Testimonies?

Brands, model to look at and retailer suggestions are welcome...
surge7264
Participant
Participant

Re: Best Hard Top Tonneau Cover... ???

Post by surge7264 »

My brother-in-law has the hard cover and hates it -- it leaks like a sieve.
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

I have the Backflip and I love it! I do a lot of wood and it's so handy. Tough too. Tight seal and seems to last. My cousin has that expensive one that you can haul sleds on top of and it's the crap. Forget the name but it's on wildTv.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I don't have a recommendation as to which cover as I have a soft folding Oem cover on my Sierra. It works good and does the job but if I was to do it again, I would go with a soft rolling cover. My personal preference from experience.

For you, if you are looking for a trifold hard cover, I would suggest calling EB sales in kemptville and ask to talk to Wayde. The owner is a little hard to talk to but Wayde has worked there for years and is very knowledgable when it comes to the products they sell. Their prices were pretty good the last time I bought anything from them but it has been a while.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have the Backflip and it is "pretty good".

the side rails are fine, they really don't get in the way of anything and they help preserve the depth of the bed.

The Backflip is made from an insulating material too, so I find that in the summer, even with the sun beating down on it, stuff stored in the bed of the truck doesn't overheat.

My kids have climbed on the cover without damaging it.

My main issue with the Backflip is that the rubber hinges between the panels is really not designed for Canadian winters. It shrinks a lot leaving holes at either side of the hinge. This only happens in winter. But then in summer the rubber expands, but tends to then expand one way, so you have to work it back into place. They did apply adhesive to try to hold the ends of the hinge in place, but that doesn't work. The expansion/contraction is nearly 1.5 inches, which is a heck of a lot on a 48 inch wide bed (i have a small truck).

On my old truck I had one of the aluminum roll-up covers, I would never have one again, they take up wayyyy too much space and tend to jam in the winter.

by the way... if you DO get a Backflip, let me know and I will send you some pics of a modification I did to mine (really easy) that makes it much easier to use for fishing gear.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

From experience I had a aluminum rolling hard top cover (similar to a Roll 'N Lock), and in perfect weather it was great. In winter with raining ice stuff like we always get, you would never get it open... so buy a hockey stick to get everything out of the back. The roller spring also went after 6 years and it was going to be over 200$ to fix... so needless to say I lived with a hard to open tonneau for a few more years. Until... I finally got fed up and replaced it with a Solid-Fold. Compared to the roll up, this is way more handy and takes no more than 2 minutes to put on or take off. The only 2 draw backs are the foam edging seal in this wet winter weather can freeze to the bed rail and peel off when trying to open...so being carefull is needed. Also, it unfortunately lets water leak into the actual panels and then seeps through and drips in the bed... but the roll top I had let water in by the tailgate... so I don't know if any are 100% weather proof.
Laframboise
Participant
Participant

Post by Laframboise »

Hey guys,

thanks for the great feedback.

the truck came with a Velcro roll up tonneau.
and it's aged... difficult to use in winter (shrinks too much to get Velcro to work)

I had a soft tri fold tonneau on my old truck, loved it, but I would never leave anything valuable in the bed for any extended period of time... I. E. a 9 hour day sitting at the Cornwall boat launch.

I now have a factory locking tailgate, so hard cover is more secure.

good point mentioned in posts above regarding rolling covers..

as these tonneau corners are designed out of California... in my opinion the tri fold is the way to go with easy removal, or easy fold for partial load.

also, thanks for the feedback on the rubber seals... didn't see that one coming.

I might stop in and talk to the boys at Goldwing...
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I also have to Solid Fold by Extang and like banjo said you have to be careful with the foam sticking in the winter. But Extang has a very good customer service department and if you rip one off you just send them an e-mail and they will send you replacements no charge.

The leakage thru the hinges has now been fixed by Extang. I had a very long discussion with them about my cover not being made to the right specifications for my 2007 RAM. (the front of my box is wider by a few inches than the back so it wasn't a perfect fit on the box) I was thinking that was the reason it was leaking. After the discussion they decided to replace the whole cover with one that had their new hinges. I haven't seen any water in my box since. Except once during a very hard downpour.

I had bought the cover in Summer 2012 and they replaced it in Jan 2013. By the way they didn't even want my old cover back.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

I Ordered my soft cover from extang. Had it delivered to Ogdensburg. Saved a pile of $$. Extang also has a factory outlet online. Check there. Best I could find in Ottawa was just under $400.$210 us from the outlet. Not sure if hard covers are there but looking is cheap!Mitch
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Love the backflip, works great can support a good amount of weight and it folds all the way to the back glass.
I had a buddy thats at least 200 pound lay on it. so if you had to carry and strap camping gear for example, to the top it could work.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/