Lifer Longnose Gar

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Lifer Longnose Gar

Post by zippyfx »

I've been green with envy every time RJ and Jimmy posted about their Gar exploits. Well tonight I got my first one.

I was not even supposed to go out tonight.... but the weather turned out better than expected this evening. The kids got to bed early and my wife was tired after a long day at work and was going to bed early. The rest of the week between weather and activities seemed iffy for an evening out so I tackled up and went out to a new catfish spot I am working on. Late last week I caught some average to above average specimens so I thought I would giver a go again and see if anything bigger was around.

When I got there I cast out some bait for the for the cats with some frozen mackerel I have brought along, while I am waiting I do my standard reconnaissance seeing what else is around. I caught some eye reflections and some motion and my first thought was walleye. I take a time out to land a cat that has bitten. A below average specimen but a nice tug of war. He goes back in quickly (no pics of cats anymore unless they are interesting, I got way to many as it is).

I put the cat fishing on hold and I rig up my extra rod with a hula popper and start working the area. I see more eye reflection and more movement. I start catching glimpses of the fish I am targeting and they are not walleye I finally make out that they are Gar. My excitement level hits the roof.

I have done a lot of research and I know my best odds are with a minnow or a rope lure but I have neither with me. They have not been hitting by popper so I am thinking a lure at night may not be my best option. I had bought some nice sticky sharp trebles specially for Gar but I have not brought them with me. My odds and end kit does not have any trebbles. Argh! I got a dozen types of hooks from 22 to 5/0 but no trebles. Say it aint so! Thinking quickly I work a treble of a scatter rap I had in my lure pack and tie it on, and setup with a spring bobber I have handy. Remembering that Jimmy uses chunks of cut bait I use some of the mackerel I was using for the cats. Now the frozen bait was beginning to thaw so I was getting mushy chunks. I tried the head first.

There was a nice slow and steady current so I cast for my for a nice drift. After a number of drifts and follows The first fish bit. It started to run, I set the hook, felt the weight and then the fish let go.... Zing goes the hook and bait passed my head..... I start the process all over again, I get a number of soft takes but again, and again, zing passed by head with the hook on the set attempt.

The fish are beginning to move on and I am not seeing them as much anymore. Looking around I spot some reeds that look "Gar"-ish and cast out towards them. Sure enough I start to get follows out of the reeds. One more take and failed hook set and I am on my last piece of mushy bait. The only I can get it on the trebble is to bury it and fold over the bait, and push though the barbs. Not much of a gap but it was all I had.

I started my last drift and the bobber stopped.... I see the fish and I can not tell if he has taken the bait; There was no run, the bobber bobbed but did not go down.... I waited and then the bobber changed direction going against the drift. I real in the slack, set the hook and feel the weight. This time no zing! The fish is on..... Not wanting to loose it, I horsed it in and got it into the net way to early, it was way too lively.

I was lucky that the hook popped out on its own after a while.

I was too excited to get a measure on this guy but my net opening from top to bottom is 19 inches. I would this guy close to 30 inches but could be less.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Lifer Longnose Gar

Post by ShawnD »

:D Cool story ! \happy you got your first gar.

cheers
Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Awesome Zippy!

Great job
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Way to go dude!

RJ
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Wish the photo worked for me, but sight-unseen, great story! Congrats to you
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Sweet! Have yet to tangle with one this year myself.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Great write-up, congrats on the first gar!

E
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Very cool and the extra thrill you get from scrabbling something together AND HAVING IT WORK is gravy on top!
trexellunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by trexellunge »

Really COOL looking fish! Congrats. Would love to land one someday. I know so little about them.
I do know the Alligator Gar down South is one of the most amazing fish that swims in fresh water (based on some articles I read).
I would almost be afraid to tangle with one of those 100 plus pound monsters with killer jaws. Their northern
cousins seem less intimidating, but definitely super neat looking. I would assume gars are basically a catch and release fish like Muskies.
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Very Nice - Congrats!

This is why my wife constantly laughs at me packing for a trip - even a short one to the river 1.2km away.... almost everything goes with me.

Plano box with terminal tackle, box with sinkers, box with floats, box with line - leaders - wire and crimps - box with big hooks, box with trebles, box with little hooks...

LOL

Nice pics dude! Thanks for sharing.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

scarkner wrote:Very cool and the extra thrill you get from scrabbling something together AND HAVING IT WORK is gravy on top!
Sorta felt like McGiver there for awhile :lol:
MichaelGA wrote: ...

This is why my wife constantly laughs at me packing for a trip - even a short one to the river 1.2km away.... almost everything goes with me.

i find I never have the right stuff! :lol: There is always something missing.

I've been working hard at trimming things down... I originally had some spare trebbles in my odds and ends box (basically a small plano box with all my recycled items like swivels, snaps various split shot and leads, various hooks...) and they will be some added back very shortly.

I like to have a basic setup that I can either have in the car or in the garage so I can go fishing alone or with the kids on the fly. I have everything packed in an orvis fly fishing sling pack with a set of utility lures in a small lure box so I can get out in a moments notice. I also have a small travel rod in my car so I can cast anytime the opportunity arises.