Petrie Island/Rockland/Wendover???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DipfromPAinOttawa
Participant
Participant

Petrie Island/Rockland/Wendover???

Post by DipfromPAinOttawa »

Good Afternoon,

I’m not looking for anyone’s particular honey hole, just some advice/tips/possibilities on where to look for musky during this time of year. I have been out the past 3 weekends on the Ottawa river between Petrie Island and a little east of Rockland fishing in bays, along semi alive weed lines and also along some nice drop-offs (4/5fow dropping to 15/20fow) and have yet to land my first musky. So I ask any of you fish hawk friends that fish between Petrie Island all the way east to Wendover, for some advice on how to fish for this species of fish during this time of year? Any help would be great full. I have tried to use spinner baits, crank baits, a 10 inch slow diving perch along with other kinds of tackle and still can’t land my first musky. I’m looking forward to some tips and am going to give it one last go this weekend! Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone else who’s also going to be out this coming weekend!

Lee
Most of the world is covered by water.

A fisherman's job is simple:

Pick out the best parts.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Re: Petrie Island/Rockland/Wendover???

Post by frogin1998 »

Yeah same, I am heading out tomorrow to test the east side of ottawa river since I heard their are some good catches lately. Anyways I have been struggling the past month as well, there is definitely actions in the water but somehow they aren't going after my tackle. Good luck mate! :D
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Buddy, try some shallow running jointed drifter baits. And hit the weedline that runs east of the wendover launch, make a few loops in the mouth of the nation river, then stay on that weedline, over the years i've had several buddies bust their cherry on that weedline, take the weedline all the way to the hardwood trees, do a loop and come back to the river, on that same line, 4-5 mph should be good, but change it up,personally i've run millions of spinnerbaits summer and fall there, but my best fish have come on the old black/chartreuse 6" drifter, with razor sharp hooks,you can try the 10" version, but the little 6-8" work fine.it's not that cold yet. But you should get some action, just keep running back n forth , varying your distance from shore. GL
DipfromPAinOttawa
Participant
Participant

Thanks guys for the info, I'm going to give Wendover and Rockland another go this weekend and possibly next (Weather permitting) then unfortunately I'll be returning the boat back to Pennsylvania for storage this winter over the US Thanksgiving holiday (But not with out hitting a few lakes and waters back in PA as the water temps there are still fairly warm)! All I can say is I'm glad to have had the opportunity to fish in Canada this past year and even though I wont get to fish here next year or for at least the following two years (due to moving transatlantic). I will return to Canada again, once I return back to the states in 2017. There are so many bodies of water here that I haven't got to explore this past year but am looking forward to doing in the future! Any the endless amounts of fish that can be caught around ever corner are just amazing!

Thanks,
Lee

Pick out the best parts.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Good Luck Lee,too bad we didn't get together this fall,Are you returning to Canada after Turkey day ?,or is your posting here done ? where's the next tour taking you ?
DipfromPAinOttawa
Participant
Participant

Ill be back to Canada on December 3rd. Just wont be returning with the boat as we depart here next year in May and head to Bratislava (Slovakia) late August 2016. As for the gap, I'll be back in Pennsylvania the entire summer so looking forward to hitting the waters all throughout PA next year ;)

Lee

Pick out the best parts.