Ice warning! and "Pike"nanza!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice warning! and "Pike"nanza!

Post by Peron »

Was out on the Ottawa River from 10-12 today at my favourite spot near Shirley's Bay. First the warning and it is not about thickness.

BE VERY CAREFUL WALKING! The melt refreeze has turned areas in to panes of glass and with the little "frosting" coming down it is absolutely treacherous. I was sliding my feet along like a 90 year old and I still almost wiped out several times. As far as thickness it was actually really good. It has gained some quality on top and was over a foot where it was 8-10 last week.

Pikenanza: LOTs of Pike bite....

Fish 1
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 3144 times
Fish 2
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 3144 times
Fish 3
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3144 times
Fish 4
ARRRGGGHHHH!!! Had a huge hit as I was reeling in my minnow as I was packing it in. Based on the head in the hole when my leader snapped or was cut he would have been my PB fish on ice.

Not complaining.... he is still out there waiting for me and I had a lot of fun in 2 hours. They were all taken on large 5-6" minnows which is helping to deplete my oversupply of jumbos.

Oh yes... Jealousy got the better of me. Bought an Ice HELIX 5. A LOT of fun but it has way too many settings... I am sure that will be great in the end because I can hook up a transponder on my kayak or canoe in the summer but right now I think I need to spend a lot of time studying the manuals. Suprisingly, I really liked the flasher most of all. It was a lot easier to interpret.

Rod
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ice warning! and "Pike"nanza!

Post by scarkner »

i just bought a regular Helix 5, and then Canadian Tire put the ice-transducer on sale (tomorrow, but they sold it to me today when I begged). Great deal at around $70.

My kids LOVE to go skating when Shirleys is iced over hard. Do you think it is smooth enough that it would make for decent skating? Or is it still way too bumpy from the breakup earlier this year?
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Haven't been to SB since the melt but I am pretty certain that when you walk out a bit into the areas where there was black Ice, it should be ultra smooth now. Last week my youngest and I were out at SB and he was running on snow areas to slide along the clear sections and he was going 50 feet +. Not sure what the snow will do today if it warms up but I think if you bring out a scraper shovel you will be able to make a pretty significant rink area!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nice Pike. Time to break out the spikes!

RJ
HogLog
Participant
Participant

Post by HogLog »

Great news that the pike bite is on. I will most likely head out to Shirley's on sat, were your minnows dead or alive?
HogLog Fishing Club
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Live minnows. Although my last big fish (lost) was on one that was virtually dead. The bite didn't happen until I was reeling in as I was clearing out.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Great job on catching those pike! I bailed a few times on the ice near shirleys today but i could pull my sled kilometers with ease! :lol:
Cy
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Thanks for the tip about the ice man
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »