Bass Opener

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bass Opener

Post by Rex Mundi »

Where is everyone going to this Saturday for the bass opener on Zone 18?

I usually hit Mississippi Lake, White Lake or Rideau at Kars but wanting to try somewhere new. The wife and kids are going out of town this weekend so I have the time to experiment on a new location.

When the kids are on board I can only count of 3 or 4 hours on the water but when no kids around I can hit it hard for the day and can dedicate the time to experiment on a new body or water and new techniques.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Bass Opener

Post by curls »

Well, Shootout is on Mississippi on Sunday, so I assume there will be a lot of boats on that lake on Saturday pre-fishing.
BAA is on White Lake on Saturday with 32 boats.
Rideau @ Kars is a good option, but with the weather, I'm betting you'll see a LOT of big cruisers around throwing wakes at you.
What about Clayton/Taylor? There's a free launch between the two lakes that is decent for bass boats or aluminums.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

curls wrote:Well, Shootout is on Mississippi on Sunday, so I assume there will be a lot of boats on that lake on Saturday pre-fishing.
BAA is on White Lake on Saturday with 32 boats.
Rideau @ Kars is a good option, but with the weather, I'm betting you'll see a LOT of big cruisers around throwing wakes at you.
What about Clayton/Taylor? There's a free launch between the two lakes that is decent for bass boats or aluminums.
I may give it a try. I have heard that there are a bunch of rocks and other hazards so have not fished there in the past.

Has anyone tried Dalhousie Lake?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Places I fished last year that were fun were muskrat and Lower Beverly. Map chips are not available for either but if you look hard enough, you can find some online. I will definitely be going back to both of these water bodies sooner or later as I had a blast on both.

Oh, and to answer your question, I am fishing White lake with BAA.
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

lape0019 wrote:Places I fished last year that were fun were muskrat and Lower Beverly. Map chips are not available for either but if you look hard enough, you can find some online. I will definitely be going back to both of these water bodies sooner or later as I had a blast on both.

Oh, and to answer your question, I am fishing White lake with BAA.
I enjoy fishing Muskrat but not open for Bass until next week so it will have to wait.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Oops!

Forgot about that!

I guess Lower Beverly is the only suggestion I would have for you then.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Does Lower Beverly have a public boat launch ramp and what size it can handle? Thanks.
lape0019 wrote:Oops!

Forgot about that!

I guess Lower Beverly is the only suggestion I would have for you then.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I'll be fishing on the Larry (zone 20) around Brockville same as every other Bass opener. Always a blast catching big smallies in the current :D
PòóF
Participant
Participant

Post by PòóF »

My buddy and I are heading to lower beverly on saturday. as for the boat ramp I believe there is one in Delta but I'm not 100% sure.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I fished Lower Beverly last year with OVSB and we launched 15 boats out of the launch in front of the campground. You basically launch within a creek but it was deep enough to have 21 foot bass boats launch and get out to the main body easily.

There is also a launch out of Lyndhurst creek but I recall there only being parking for a few (like maybe 2-3) trucks with trailers.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

There is a decent ramp at Kendriks park, and one in Lyndhurst. Both are public and we never had any troubles getting our 16" in. The one at Kendriks park is a bit shallow if I remember.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

curls wrote:What about Clayton/Taylor? There's a free launch between the two lakes that is decent for bass boats or aluminums.
I was just at the Taylor Lake launch an hour ago for a look see. The water is fairly low so I don't think I'd want to launch a larger boat there. Met a couple from Bourget who were just coming in from the day's fishing.
Rex Mundi wrote:I may give it a try. I have heard that there are a bunch of rocks and other hazards so have not fished there in the past.
No rocks on Taylor at all as it's a shallow weedy lake and most of the stumps are all rotten now. Clayton has deeper water and rocky shorelines in spots but it's pretty clean for hazards. The "river" channel between the two lakes is safe for touring if you stick to the middle.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Smitty55,

Do you think Clayton/Taylor free ramp in current water lever can launch a 16 feet deep v fishing boat?

Thanks,

Seahawk
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Thank you for all of the input. I will likely stick with what I know and hit the Miss latter in the day for bass and then switch to Walleye in the evening to see if I can coax any up. Maybe I will hit Appleton on Sunday for a few hours.

Good luck and stay cool and hydrated this weekend.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

seahawk wrote:Smitty55,

Do you think Clayton/Taylor free ramp in current water lever can launch a 16 feet deep v fishing boat?

Thanks,

Seahawk
I certainly wouldn't want to go any bigger than that but I think it would be doable. I have 22 tomato plants in a friends garden about a mile from the launch that I will likely be tending every second day depending on rain. I will be there tomorrow so if I remember I'll take my camera and take a pic for you.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter