Somewhere Between Constance and Shirleys Hut Locations

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Somewhere Between Constance and Shirleys Hut Locations

Post by scarkner »

Next year I would like to put my hut somewhere other than Shirley's Bay. Really like the community there, but also enjoy exploring!

I know that there is a good community in Constance Bay... but are there any other locations for a fishing hut West of ottawa between Shirleys and Constance Bay?

It doesn't have to be a whole village, but if theres a spot with a few huts and access point to the ice, that would be perfect.

Has anyone put huts out at Port of Call Marina for example (or does anyone even ice-fish there)?

I am of course also scouting out (since this is the perfect time to see what places are like for next year). There are a number of little back-roads to the water, so I want to make sure that I don't miss a spot.

I was even thinking of approaching some of the residences along that stretch of river to ask permission to put a hut in front of their place, kinda like when you ask to hunt on someone's land.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Somewhere Between Constance and Shirleys Hut Locations

Post by Lenny »

There are some huts on Constance Lake. Only problem is unless you run into a school of crappie there is virtually no night bite and you seem to enjoy catching ling. Baskins beach is another spot worth having a look at, not sure if there are any huts there. Only other spot I can think of that's about equal distance is Mississippi Lake, not much further from Kanata than Constance Bay.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

C'mon over to the ole Miss! We have plenty of room on the lake for new comers to give'er a go!

Yesterday my buddy and I were out catching perch in the shack and a younger-than-us lad came out with a pail, a hand auger and some equipment....just starting out in the sport..

He asked us where to find fish and what depth to fish. He was interested in seeing what it is like to ice fish (using 1/2 a 6'6" rod and reel will work but you miss out big time on the finicky finesse hitters)...

We were in about 16' of water and he started to drill his holes. I stepped outside and grabbed my power auger to punch him a few extra holes. I had a scoop and cleared the ice out of the holes we cut. He set up his lines and waited....

The west wind decided at that point to start picking up. Him having no shelter from the wind, we could see that his ice fishing day wouldn't be long. I stepped out of the shack and introduced myself. My buddy had to leave and I suggested that he come in the shack and warm up....

Needless to say, his day of fishing lasted about 4 hours...his outside lines were put into his bucket and he used a couple of spare ice rods and reels I have in the shack. The Humminbird Ice35 was loaded with fish underneath us! I know you're thinking we hammered them - but - LOL I can say we fed the fish...or more like he did. Anyways, the best part about this day, was the making of an ice fisherman in progress...he did go home with fish and it certainly made for a more memorable day. It is always nice to talk with someone while fishing rather than fish alone. I gave him my number and said to call me if he wants to go out again....next time I said to bring his 3 1/2 yr old son...you can't start them too late in fishing...

Days like these are the best reasons for me to continue ice fishing!
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The Miss sounds awesome but I really have to balance off the amount of fishing with travel distance.

From my home:
Shirleys Bay: 15 minutes
Constance Bay: 30 minutes
Miss Lake: 50 minutes

Today I can leave work at 4pm and be on the ice in time for the sunset bite, then pack up and leave in time for dinner at 6:30. That means I am fishing a lot of days because it is just so damn easy. BUT - Not much point if most of the time all I catch is little 10 inch walleye!

Constance Bay is probably reasonable, but pushing it, for this kind of week-day fishing.

Miss would be too far. Certainly if I was planning on only fishing the weekends then it would be awesome, an hour's drive if I am staying overnight makes a lot of sense.

So clearly I need to give this lots of thought over the coming year. Maybe I need a portable setup for during the week and a permanent setup for on the weekends. Hmmmm.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Mississippi Mudslide wrote:C'mon over to the ole Miss! We have plenty of room on the lake for new comers to give'er a go!

Yesterday my buddy and I were out catching perch in the shack and a younger-than-us lad came out with a pail, a hand auger and some equipment....just starting out in the sport..

He asked us where to find fish and what depth to fish. He was interested in seeing what it is like to ice fish (using 1/2 a 6'6" rod and reel will work but you miss out big time on the finicky finesse hitters)...

We were in about 16' of water and he started to drill his holes. I stepped outside and grabbed my power auger to punch him a few extra holes. I had a scoop and cleared the ice out of the holes we cut. He set up his lines and waited....

The west wind decided at that point to start picking up. Him having no shelter from the wind, we could see that his ice fishing day wouldn't be long. I stepped out of the shack and introduced myself. My buddy had to leave and I suggested that he come in the shack and warm up....

Needless to say, his day of fishing lasted about 4 hours...his outside lines were put into his bucket and he used a couple of spare ice rods and reels I have in the shack. The Humminbird Ice35 was loaded with fish underneath us! I know you're thinking we hammered them - but - LOL I can say we fed the fish...or more like he did. Anyways, the best part about this day, was the making of an ice fisherman in progress...he did go home with fish and it certainly made for a more memorable day. It is always nice to talk with someone while fishing rather than fish alone. I gave him my number and said to call me if he wants to go out again....next time I said to bring his 3 1/2 yr old son...you can't start them too late in fishing...

Days like these are the best reasons for me to continue ice fishing!
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

scarkner wrote:The Miss sounds awesome but I really have to balance off the amount of fishing with travel distance.

From my home:
Shirleys Bay: 15 minutes
Constance Bay: 30 minutes
Miss Lake: 50 minutes

Today I can leave work at 4pm and be on the ice in time for the sunset bite, then pack up and leave in time for dinner at 6:30. That means I am fishing a lot of days because it is just so damn easy. BUT - Not much point if most of the time all I catch is little 10 inch walleye!

Constance Bay is probably reasonable, but pushing it, for this kind of week-day fishing.

Miss would be too far. Certainly if I was planning on only fishing the weekends then it would be awesome, an hour's drive if I am staying overnight makes a lot of sense.

So clearly I need to give this lots of thought over the coming year. Maybe I need a portable setup for during the week and a permanent setup for on the weekends. Hmmmm.
Steve, In between Shirley's and Constance is what I'd call one of the deadest stretches of the river, not sure I'd think it would be any better up there.

RJ
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Gotta second RJ's comment. Not saying there are no fish, but I have gave this stretch ago soft water..... Let's just say there are far more productive areas...