Rope Lure for Gar

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Rope Lure for Gar

Post by smitty55 »

OK Guys it's time to put this debate to bed. It is ILLEGAL to use rope lures to fish for Gar. I just had a good conversation with the MNR in Kemptville and after speaking about it with senior members it was confirmed Gar MUST be fished for with traditional angling methods of a line and hook as they are NOT listed on page 11 as fish that can be captured by non angling methods. Even attaching a frayed rope to a jig like I've seen posted could well result in a fine as it is fairly obvious that it is actually the rope that is catching the fish, but that could be a subjective call on the part of the CO. So just don't take the chance, use a lure or live bait and save yourself from potential hassles.
Also I was reminded that Spotted Gar are listed as an endangered species and must be released immediately, so make sure you can tell the difference.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Rope Lure for Gar

Post by zippyfx »

I think the rugs are clear about fishing being caught via hook. Thorough if your new pike lure made with frayed rope snags the teeth of a gar it would seem that your guilt is at the descresion of the mar officer.

One thing though, many less ethical people would likely not unsnag the gar before letting it go... leaving it to certain death.