2020 Ice season, Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 2020 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by toobinator »

With this warm weather, be super careful out there.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Well, the "ice hut" season has come to an end. Pulled the hut off yesterday and shipped it home. All in all we had a good season. I didn’t get out as much as I wanted to. A bad flue - (and no not that one) and 10 days in Fla. hitting golf balls cut into the fishing time. We ended up with a total of 50 walleye, 5 perch, 5 ling and 1 big butt 25lbs Sturgeon (we keep a white board in the hut to track the season and every fish but 1 was released, a guest kept one for a snack) With that said I guess I could count the number of time I went out on both hands. The Walleye numbers jumped quite a bit in to of the last three outings. We brought up 14 on two different occasions - certainly added to the season total nicely. That said, the last fish we had was this past Fri. for about an hour and a half straight, I didn’t have time to sip my beer! It was without the very best walleye action I have experienced at the bay - Ever. I ended up with 9 the largest being about just under 4 lbs and several in the 1.5 - 2lbs class. But I must have missed 20 more... Couldn’t figure out how I wasn’t hitting more of them, I even had a stinger in place. That’s allot of hooks one med sized emerald shiner for them to bite and not get one! I suppose that’s whey they call it fishing - not catching :)

Our catch numbers had been declining steadily for about the past 3 years - Great to start going the other way! I wonder if the no boats allowed on the river (due to the flooding) had anything to do with the increase in numbers and average size of the Walleye...???
Wallete SB Mar 6 2020.jpg
Wallete SB Mar 6 2020.jpg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

CCLad wrote: A bad flue - (and no not that one)
I only managed to get out 4 times this year (but it's my first year ice fishing) and the only thing I caught was that flu.. no.. not THAT one.. the other one
:D

tight lines in the spring boys!
benzo
Participant
Participant

Post by benzo »

FYI Ice was still good as of Friday March 27 but as I was leaving noticed they'd closed the parking lots ... looks like NCC has shut down vehicle parking in the green belt. Good first season at Shirley's for me. Will be back once ice is gone and definitely next winter too!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Ill have some of what he is smoking......